PDA

View Full Version : Model St. Paul Union Depot

DickB
11-03-2012, 03:13 PM
I can't believe it's been almost a year since I started working on this model of the St. Paul Union Depot with a couple neighbors from the local model train club. The project leader got busy with other stuff. But the project has restarted and hopefully will stay on track.

I first posted on this in the "Post a few ideas..." thread http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?13422-Post-a-few-of-your-Ideas-for-Carving&p=165853#post165853 but lynnfrwd had suggested I start a new thread. The train club has several layouts, but one is based on the St. Paul area, and they chose to include the Depot. They are not making an exact model, as that would not fit the constraints of their layout. But it is definitely modeled after the depot.

The project lead creates CAD drawings of the sides of the building with cross section. He "prints" to a .pdf, which I import into a paint program. Using the profile dimensions, I pick the appropriate shade of grey corresponding to depth of cut to make a pattern. In some cases there are beveled elements which were painted with a gradient tool. I included a slightly raised section for the window cutouts in the pattern to assist locating rectangular cut paths for these. I bring the pattern into Pattern Editor, invert it, and lower the pattern until the highest point is near zero. After I place the pattern on the board, I scale it to spec and place the window opening cutouts.

56781 56782

What we have so far are the front, side, and back of each of the wings that you see to either side of the columns in the photo. Note that on the prototype they are rectangular, but for the model they are square. As each side is a mirror image of the other, I only need one pattern. I use the mirror tools to place and cut left and right panels together.

The material is 1/2" MDF carved with the 1/16" carving bit on Normal. For the pattern, bit optimization was set to max. Windows cut with the 1/8" bit and the openings later squared off with a wood rasp. I did not cut the panels out with the CarveWright. Three sides will be assembled by mitering the corners. I will do that on my table saw after a club member puts primer on the panels front and back. I did trim top and bottom on the table saw and hand sanded the panels with 220 sandpaper and a variety of small blocks.

I plan to update this thread as the project progresses.

chief2007
11-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Very impressive I must say. Hopefully I will get the knack of using a paint program as you do.

ladjr
11-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Very nice, can't wait to see it together

cestout
11-03-2012, 04:49 PM
The "dental molding" accross near the top cam out good - no chipout.
Clint

DickB
11-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Yes, it's not exactly to scale; I started smaller but I made it a little bigger to get it to look nicer. But the MDF does carve well with really no chip out.

badbert
11-03-2012, 07:00 PM
+1 for MDF! First time yesterday... no chip-out.

b.sumner47
11-03-2012, 07:53 PM
DickB, That is quite the undertaking. Well explained about the three sides, I look forward to updates as they come along.

Capt Barry

DickB
11-08-2012, 10:01 AM
I got the panels back from a club member who primed them black on the inside and white on the outside. The primed MDF has a very fine texture to it that mimics the stone of the prototype in my opinion. I mitered the outside corners and cut the panels to exact length. There is a mirror image of the three panels that I trial fitted so the set of six panels will make up the two wings of the building. The far wall is a plain interior wall, probably 1/4" Baltic birch plywood but I need to get that OKed by the project lead before I assemble these.

Ropdoc
11-08-2012, 10:59 AM
I am allways amazed by all of you. To take a tool that I think was invisioned to cut signs has morphed into something that I wonder if LHR thought it could. I am applouding each one of you for pushing this tool like you do. BRAVO !!!

I look forward to seeing this project finished.

Dave

ladjr
11-08-2012, 12:38 PM
All I can say is Ditto Dave. Unbelievable

jaroot
11-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Looks really good!

cestout
11-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Looks good. I did MDF once, years ago before I had any DC, and it was a mess. How was the dust situation for your carves?
Clint

DickB
11-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Very interesting. Nearly all of the dust packed itself into the carved space behind the bit. I could tip the board upside down and it stayed in place. I had to use a vacuum cleaner with a bristle brush attachment to work the sawdust out of the crevices. Not what I expected at all.

DickB
11-14-2012, 09:42 AM
The guys threw me a curve ball, but I'm taking a swing anyway. They gave me drawings of the center section of the depot, to which the wings which I have already made will attach. The attachment was to be a butt joint, but as we looked over the drawings it became apparent that this would not work. The detail raised molding if you will is to be carried around the building, and a miter joint is required. You can see in the rendering, the darker wall is the wing part already made. I decided on a partial miter/partial butt joint. I will need to miter the raised molding on the built wall 45 degrees, probably using my disk sander, as only a small amount of material needs to be removed. You can see on the taller lighter wall of the center section I'm using the CarveWright and 90 degree V bit to make the partial miter. It's in the machine now and we'll see if this works! (The lighter board is left and right side of the center section.)

mtylerfl
11-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Another possible solution....cut the approriate section of raised molding (on the large wall) as separate piece...then cope-joint the edge of that section to fit the existing molding on the already-carved smaller wall.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Projects/Home-Decorating/Decorative-Trim/how-to-cope-joints

DickB
11-14-2012, 09:59 AM
I considered making a cope joint in the pattern of the wall itself, and letting the CarveWright make it, but I did not think that the carving bit would have sufficient resolution. Likewise if I did it by hand! The outside mitered joints so far came our really well, so I elected to go this way.

DickB
11-14-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm happy with the way this turned out:

BTW here are a couple of photos showing how the MDF sawdust packs itself in the carving, and tends to stick even when vacuuming it out:

57025 57026

mtylerfl
11-14-2012, 07:34 PM
I considered making a cope joint in the pattern of the wall itself, and letting the CarveWright make it, but I did not think that the carving bit would have sufficient resolution. Likewise if I did it by hand! The outside mitered joints so far came our really well, so I elected to go this way.

That worked out great - couldn't look better! Good job!

DickB
11-15-2012, 02:15 PM
I got the main walls of the building core out of the machine and trimmed to correct height on the table saw:

Even though the taller core walls have not been mitered, I decided to mock up assembly with some masking tape:

The building is 37" wide. The slot that you see on the inside of the wing is for a strip of wood that will support the flat roof. The roof sections will be removable so that the RR modelers can work on the interior later on. The entrance to the depot will be at near eye level for young visitors, so they should be able to look inside. A concourse elevated over the tracks is yet to be added through the triple arched openings out the back. I just got the drawings for those today.

eelamb
11-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Dick I like how that is coming along. You have done some great work on the building.

DickB
11-15-2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks. A lot of credit goes to the project lead for providing the detailed architectural drawings. We collaborate, but I build what he draws.

b.sumner47
11-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Outstanding ! The project has come along ways, it's been a pleasure watching. Thanks Alot.

Capt Barry

cestout
11-16-2012, 02:58 PM
I believe that is how Norm would have done that joint. Looks good.
Clint

DickB
11-17-2012, 03:14 PM
All of the walls have been rabbeted for the 1/4" Baltic birch floor. The inside wall of the concourse was machined and glued onto the back outside wall, as were the inner walls of the wings. The entrance wall was cut and mocked up with columns turned from maple by another modeler.

mtylerfl
11-17-2012, 03:29 PM
This is a really fun project to see progressing so nicely! Thank you for including all of us in this cool project build!

DickB
11-20-2012, 12:24 PM
I've completed all the walls and have gotten most back from being primed inside and out, so I am able to start assembly. For the mitered corners I'm using a Ryobi Detail Biscuit Joiner and some R2 biscuits to help with alignment and provide strength. A little masking tape helps protect the painted walls from being marred by the clamps. Not a lot of force required here, just gentle clamp pressure. Assembling upside down allows me to temporarily place the floor in the rabbeted sides to ensure square alignment. The main level floor is being built in three sections, but I plan to join them before final assembly, so the floor is not being glued in at this time.

57144 57145

mtylerfl
11-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Looking better and better! Thanks for the pics along the way.

DickB
11-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Wings glued to the core with epoxy. Love those quick clamps - they get a lot of use in my shop. I may need a bigger bench!

fwharris
11-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Dick,

Looking like a depot more and more! Great job!

DickB
11-23-2012, 05:38 PM
I cut and assembled the floor panels today. The one-piece floor fits into the rabbeted walls but has not been glued in yet so that club members can more easily finish the floor. I also cut the roof panels. The columns have not been glued in place yet - just placed to show how they will look. The project will go back to the club now. The only additional work that I think I may be asked to do is the curved roof over the concourse (the concourse has not been assembled or attached yet).

57195 57196

henry1
11-23-2012, 06:10 PM
looking better every time you post it

LittleRedWoodshop
11-24-2012, 09:44 AM
very nice project - makes me want to build something

b.sumner47
11-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Moving right along, I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Excellent !

Capt Barry

cestout
11-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Sitting on your work bench, that looks pritty good sized. How big is the train and stuff?
Clint

DickB
11-24-2012, 08:07 PM
O gauge layout.

DickB
01-01-2013, 06:56 PM
I got the model back to continue work, this time on the sub structure. Unlike the prototype, the model is going to have trains run under the main part of the building, so I was asked to build a tunnel of sorts. The substructure will be built into the layout, but the building will remain removable for access to the tracks below. Hence the cutouts in the top of the base. In front I constructed retaining walls by stacking sections of machined MDF. You can perhaps see where a driveway, cut out of Masonite, will fit. There are a couple shorter retaining walls yet to be done.

58408 58410 58411 58409

b.sumner47
01-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Excellent job ! It seems to grow and grow and grow some more. DickB, I hope it's not to late but, Did you get a building permit yet ?

Capt Barry

badbert
01-01-2013, 07:50 PM
It just keeps getting better and better! I can't wait to see the finished product! Keep it up!

lawrence
01-01-2013, 07:52 PM
It just keeps getting better and better! I can't wait to see the finished product! Keep it up!

+1 - thanks for the update and keep them coming!

Lawrence

mtylerfl
01-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Looking like more fun all the time!

ladjr
01-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Bert is so right. looking great

DickB
01-09-2013, 09:12 AM
I had to set this project aside for a few other priorities, but got back to it and I completed the substructure this morning by adding a couple more retaining walls and the driveway. A club member is picking this up to go off for paint. The concourse roof is next.

58743 58744

DickB
01-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Working on the concourse roof. The notched arches were cut on the Carvewright and laminated. The center arches are made up of two 1/4" and one 1/2" pieces that are of different heights to provide a relief detail when seen from below. Club members have silkscreened windows and skylights and gave me some practice pieces.. The light monitors - there will be three - will get roofs.

59473 59474

henry1
01-28-2013, 07:41 PM
That a pretty nice set up must keep you busy

DickB
03-20-2013, 04:27 PM
I haven't done much on this myself lately, but I just machined the entry doors, and while I was over at the club to see that they fit properly I got some new photos. Club members have been doing all this finishing and detail work.

I did install the columns, which a club member turned, a while ago. Another member is building the skylight.
61077 61079

The guys are installing roofing and brick fascia on the concourse.
61078 61080 61081

This is a view of the layout through the observation window, with the headhouse foundation in place. As you see, the entry to the depot sits right on the window sill. You can only see a small portion of the whole train layout; much of it is to the left in the photo.

Won't be long now.

mtylerfl
03-21-2013, 07:25 AM
So fun to see this! Thanks again for sharing the progress photos!

Underdog
03-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Enjoyed looking through the pictures and commentary on this project. It's pretty cool.

Is this a hobby project or are they paying you to cut out this stuff on your Carvewright?

DickB
03-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Bit of both. I have had my own HO and N gauge layouts long ago and I enjoy modeling in general, plus one of the members is my neighbor. I am getting reimbursed but am also giving them a break on the rate and sometimes "forget" to record time and materials.

Underdog
03-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Just called the local train store to ask if they ever needed custom models and got the brush off. I don't think the guy really understood what I was telling him. Maybe time to make a couple buildings and trot them down there on foot...

DickB
03-21-2013, 04:05 PM
That's what I did when first working with the local train club. I made this demo panel with some different window options, then sanded the left half, and primed the top, to demonstrate what work would be required. I offered that they could do the sanding and assembly, but the decided to have me do that.

DickB
09-07-2013, 02:06 PM
I was finally able to get some photos of the finished St. Paul Union Depot project. Tile roof, brick, and other details have been added to the building. A visitor recently pointed to one of the windows and said "That's my office!". She was impressed how realistic the model is.

64488 64484 64487 64486 64485

henry1
09-07-2013, 02:29 PM
I was finally able to get some photos of the finished St. Paul Union Depot project. Tile roof, brick, and other details have been added to the building. A visitor recently pointed to one of the windows and said "That's my office!". She was impressed how realistic the model is.

64488 64484 64487 64486 64485

Wow that was some project very impressive I like

SharonB
09-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Dick.... I've enjoyed seeing the progress on the Depot. All those involved in putting this display together can be proud of their effort.

Capt Bruce
09-09-2013, 08:03 AM
I've really enjoyed the journey you have shared with all of us in the creation and assembly/finishing of the Station. It was like being right there in your workshop with none of the usual sawdust. Thanks so very much for sharing and updating us at each milepost and my sincere compliments to you and all the club members who had a hand in this OUTSTANDING design and build. Bravo Zulu as our Navy colleagues would send!

cestout
09-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Thanks for sharing, this has been a fun trip.

CNC Carver
09-11-2013, 06:49 AM
Thanks for showing us pictures thru this wonderful build. Very impressive.

Underdog
09-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks for sharing! It's inspiring to see such good work!