PDA

View Full Version : What the heck did this?

djarboe
11-03-2012, 01:39 PM
I started a new carving. I used my old project file which has always worked like a charm, and merely changed the name and symbols. All of a sudden, I heard the motor laboring, and ran over to see what was going on. It looks like the machine reset the surface of the carving much lower. Attached is a photo of the result. I have also attached the mpc file.

Any thoughts?

Dave

Let me know if the mpc file did not come through. This is the first time I have been on since the new thread posting format was implemented.

Any thoughts?567785677856779

djarboe
11-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Well, I just found the problem. Somewhere along the line, the set screws holding the bit it it's holder came just loose enough to let the bit drop down. Sure glad I caught it when I did, so I'm only out some wood.

Have reset the bit, and really cranked on the set screws.

A word of advice to all, if you are using the original chuck and bit holders, as I am, check those set screws!!!

Dave

fwharris
11-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Dave,

Make sure you put some loctite on the set screws. Red if you have it!!! Normal machine vibration will cause the screws to loosen...

2008 and still using the original QC!! :)

djarboe
11-03-2012, 02:15 PM
good advice! thanks!

Dave,

Make sure you put some loctite on the set screws. Red if you have it!!! Normal machine vibration will cause the screws to loosen...

djarboe
11-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Went out today and got some red loctite. When I went to unscrew the set screws, I was amazed to find they were loose again, even though I tightened them as much as I could.

So disassembled it, cleaned the set screws and the bit holder with spray carb cleaner and let it dry, then added the red loctite, and torqued them in really good. Hope this works.

Odd thing is, this is a new bit I just bought from LHR. You would think they would have done the same to begin with. The old bit is clearly set with loctite, or some other similar material, since it never had any problems, and I can't even take it apart for new bits. Hmm. Quality control?

Dave,

chief2007
11-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Hopefully all with set tight with the loctite, I say give it overnight to set good before using.

cestout
11-03-2012, 05:04 PM
A worse thing can happen if the screws back out. They can jam the adaptor in the QC chuck and you have to use mighty force to remove it - like a hammer behind the chuck tool. A good reason to go the the CT. But then locktight is cheaper. You need to regularly check the screws!
Clint

djarboe
11-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Am letting it set overnight, while I make a new piece of wood ready.
thanks for your help and suggestion!

Dave

Hopefully all with set tight with the loctite, I say give it overnight to set good before using.

djarboe
11-03-2012, 06:33 PM
CT? Not sure what you mean.

A worse thing can happen if the screws back out. They can jam the adaptor in the QC chuck and you have to use mighty force to remove it - like a hammer behind the chuck tool. A good reason to go the the CT. But then locktight is cheaper. You need to regularly check the screws!
Clint

chief2007
11-03-2012, 06:42 PM
CT? Not sure what you mean.

CT = Carvetight spindle.

badbert
11-03-2012, 06:59 PM
+1 for the carvetight!! After having a QC meltdown, I have never looked back!

djarboe
11-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Well, I got the bit all reassembled, locked in, using loctite. Now it seems I may have the bit too far up in the holder. The chuck won't snap completely shut. Luckily, I kept my old, but duller, bit, and am proceeding with that.

Of course, since I put loctite on the set screw threads, I can't break them free to adjust the bit. Will try soaking it overnight in acetone to see if that will loosen up the threads so I can readjust the bit location in the holder.

Dave

chief2007
11-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Try heating it up with a blow dryer or heat gun. That should loosen the loctite.

djarboe
11-04-2012, 02:02 PM
I'll give that a try. Thanks!

djarboe
11-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Well, that worked like a charm! Thanks!!!