PDA

View Full Version : Editing Patterns/can it be done?

kennelmaster
10-31-2012, 04:24 PM
I have seen the "Victorian X-mas ornament" set in the patterns store. I need to make about 60 x-mas ornaments. If I buy that pattern set, can I edit out the center design and replace with the company logo? Or would it be easier to just design my own and dupe the pattern across the work piece.

Since these will be cut-outs (if I can figure that out) is there a tutorial somewhare that will explaine how to design a cut-out with "tabs" so they don't all fall out during carving, fall into the CW, jam the motor, blow the fuse and cause a black-out across the midwest?

The more I think about these things the more ignorant I feel. Thanks to all that are here to help. Not being "alone" in this is a great comfort.

Paul

chief2007
10-31-2012, 06:06 PM
I think you would be better off creating your own.

You can manipulate the patterns in designer, but you can only edit your own patterns.

AskBud
10-31-2012, 07:35 PM
I have seen the "Victorian X-mas ornament" set in the patterns store. I need to make about 60 x-mas ornaments. If I buy that pattern set, can I edit out the center design and replace with the company logo? Or would it be easier to just design my own and dupe the pattern across the work piece.

Since these will be cut-outs (if I can figure that out) is there a tutorial somewhare that will explaine how to design a cut-out with "tabs" so they don't all fall out during carving, fall into the CW, jam the motor, blow the fuse and cause a black-out across the midwest?

The more I think about these things the more ignorant I feel. Thanks to all that are here to help. Not being "alone" in this is a great comfort.

PaulWhen you assign a Cut-Path, You get a screen which has options for the number, depth, and size of automatic tabs.
AskBud

fwharris
10-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Chief is correct ,Only the author/creator of the pattern can edit it.

Cut-outs, from the Software manual page 86 http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Manuals/CarveWright_Software_Manual.pdf
Chapter 9: Bits & Bit Selection
Cut Path
Cut path is a cut all the way through the board that will leave small tabs holding the cutouts in place so multiple
pieces can be laid out and cut from a single board. The board on the computer will not display the tabs so that
the final product may be seen on-screen. Cut Path can only be applied to a closed vector or a path whose end
points cross the edge of the board. To create a cut select the desired geometry then press the ‘Cut Path’ button
from the ‘Tools’ menu or the Tools toolbar. The Cut-Out Control dialog will open

chief2007
10-31-2012, 07:44 PM
Why not make a pattern of the company logo and then drill a small hole at the top and turn that into the ornament.

You could then lay out several on a board and assign the cut path and cut them out as well as have the carvewright drill the hole for you.

PCW
10-31-2012, 08:09 PM
These guys are both right on.

You can however do a work around by creating a .000 carve region covering the unwanted area. Then add your artwork followed by the merge additive feature. But it does have limits.

kennelmaster
11-01-2012, 05:03 AM
Thanks to all about the information requested. Special attention "Chief"; you are correct in the way I should do it but remember, I am a noob and scared! My computer skills have led to what should be my e-mail address of... Istillusetypewriter.com :D