PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected Board Too Thick message comes and goes

DickB
10-31-2012, 11:50 AM
I have a couple of projects using 3/4" thick boards with cut-outs using the 3/16" cutting bit. I almost always use sleds. When measuring and operating correctly the machine will measure the board plus sled thickness and prompt to select either cut to the original project thickness of 0.75" or cut through the "board" (board plus sled). Of course I want the former.

Today I started running a project on my sled that has a 1/2" base. I did not get the expected prompt, but got a Board Too Thick message, abort or continue. Not sure what the machine would do, I aborted. On a whim, I switched to a different sled with a 1/8" masonite base, same project, didn't even power off the machine, and I got the prompt that I expected.

Odd thing is that I ran a different project, same type of cutout, same board thickness, on the same 1/2" sled just yesterday and it prompted and ran as expected.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Dick

chief2007
10-31-2012, 01:06 PM
My guess would be that it is reading the board as being an inch or more thick. That would make it to thick to cut through per the software, thus not prompting you for the lesser setting

When you switch sleds, less than an inch thick total, if I read your post right, so it prompted you as usually.

DickB
10-31-2012, 03:00 PM
Hmmm - so if I continue instead of abort, it will then cut only through the board?