PDA

View Full Version : My first project--------need advise

Loriblackdog
10-30-2012, 05:46 AM
Hi,
I finally finished my 1st project, however when I get to the end I get the following message in a little box Too thick for bit
The board has one or more cuts, drill holes or pierced carving that can not carve at this depth with the selected bit. The proble areas have been highlighted. I could not tell what was highlighted. I am attaching my project and would appreciate any help anyone can give me. I really want to learn what I am doing wrong. Thank you I will appreciate any feedback.

Loriblackdog:shock:

henry1
10-30-2012, 06:06 AM
Hi,
I finally finished my 1st project, however when I get to the end I get the following message in a little box Too thick for bit
The board has one or more cuts, drill holes or pierced carving that can not carve at this depth with the selected bit. The proble areas have been highlighted. I could not tell what was highlighted. I am attaching my project and would appreciate any help anyone can give me. I really want to learn what I am doing wrong. Thank you I will appreciate any feedback.

Loriblackdog:shock:
I have altered it for you here it is you should be ok now you had to much draft on it
Henry

Loriblackdog
10-30-2012, 06:52 AM
Thank you, but I not sure what I did wrong, should I have used draft small, medium?? as I think I used the large. other than that did I do ok???

DocWheeler
10-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Lori,

Not knowing the Look you wanted, I can only offer some thoughts.

First I noticed that your carvings were set to .125" deep and the Region was at .25 (default).
When the carve-region is different than the Depth of the figures, you might not get what you want.
When we set the carve region to a depth, lets say .25" and we add a figure and set it to, say .125",
the top of the figure is at the TOP surface of the board. The bottom of the figure is floating .125"
above the bottom of the Region.

The next thing that might cause some confusion is that some figures limit the total depth that they will carve.

I have attached an mpc with the depths all set to .25" so they are starting at the same place.
I have changed the Height of most objects to illustrate my points.
Note that the text that is .25" deep and set to 100 does NOT come to the top surface! (but setting it to 999 might)

It takes a little fussing to get the hang of some of these things.

Hang in there, it will become second-nature at some point.

b.sumner47
10-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Lori, I'm having trouble getting to look at your mpc. I'm going to see why first. Hopefully talk to you soon,Welcome Aboard !, I can't wait to see your first carving. Lots of Fun ahead.

Capt Barry

SteveNelson46
10-30-2012, 02:17 PM
Loriblackdog

I made some of the changes the others suggested and when I made the board size a couple of inches bigger your design was much clearer. Don't try to make your design the same size as the board. I also changed the carve region to a depth of .125 and set the feather to 1/4", set the height of the objects to 300, set the draft on everything to medium, and set the bit optimization to best on everything. I think this is what you had in mind but, don't know for sure.