PDA

View Full Version : building on "making a coaster"

myshop1044
10-28-2012, 01:55 PM
To enhance the coaster .mpc from Steve, You can place text in the center of the coaster,
center it both ways, create a sq. region around the text as deep as needed in the coaster,
then use conform . Then use the drill function to clear it all up and have text at the bottom
of the coaster. To see the end results do "hide" on the drill function to see the region and
text before the drill function is used, then do " unhide" on the drill function to see the cleaned up round region.
Just a thought on the subject.

Perry B.

chief2007
10-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the great tips Perry

SteveNelson46
10-28-2012, 03:41 PM
You can also import a .dxf file, assign a 60 degree V bit and set the depth to the depth of the drill hole plus the depth you want the .dxf carved at. In this case, .55"

myshop1044
10-28-2012, 04:30 PM
So Steve, if it is a .dfx file you don't need the carve region around the file as you do in text, correct.
The brings up some good Ideas I have for some deck coasters samples made from composite decking material.
That I could exspand on.
Thanks a lot, you learn something new everyday from the fourm.
Perry B.

SteveNelson46
10-28-2012, 04:46 PM
My Shop 1044

Yes, you are correct. I guess you could use a program like Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator to convert the font to vectors. Then you wouldn't need the carve region. The vectors would have to emulate the centerline function and would need to be a single line.

Bigtyme
10-28-2012, 05:56 PM
This has been a great thread....Thank you all for the tips and perspectives....