PDA

View Full Version : Z axis stall question

Clyde Cochrane
10-24-2012, 02:56 AM
So, after three weeks of having different part sent to me from Carvewright, to include, a new Y-motor (from LRH, it was bad) and a 2ND new Y-motor (a long drama with tech support which I will not bore you with), I am back to carving. I set everything up, and start carving away. The challenge comes when I am tryihng to do a cutout around a carve. It completes the carve and then prompts me to change the bit to the 1/8" cutting bit. I change it out, close the lid, and press the button. It starts it's checks, then when it gets to "carving", the Z-head lowers the bit to the board and the cut motor fails to start, prompting a "Z-axis stall". Regular carves without a cutout, no problem, but when I have to change the bit to complete....no-go. Any ideas on what it may be that I am doing wrong?

Over the course of troubleshooting, I have learned a lot about the way this machine operates, but for the life of me I cannot figure this one out.

Appreciate any help/suggestions.

badbert
10-24-2012, 03:08 AM
The clue might be, the open and closing cover, Try a "TEMPORARY" bypass of the cut motor cover switch. Do this with the power "UNPLUGGED"!!

chief2007
10-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Look to see if you have a hole in the plastic by the brass roller, if so you can use a dime or credit card thick piece of plastic to cover over it, use a double sided tape to hold in place.

bergerud
10-24-2012, 01:04 PM
This does sound strange. You are saying that the motor will not start if it is for a cutout but will if it is for a carve. If not for some strange coincidence, that sounds like a software problem. Assuming you have formatted and re flashed the card, maybe you should roll back to an older version of the software. Maybe you have found a bug.

henry1
10-24-2012, 02:41 PM
This does sound strange. You are saying that the motor will not start if it is for a cutout but will if it is for a carve. If not for some strange coincidence, that sounds like a software problem. Assuming you have you formatted and re flashed the card, maybe you should roll back to an older version of the software. Maybe you have found a bug.
Have to agree with you could be the problem ???

Clyde Cochrane
10-26-2012, 06:10 PM
To all, thanks for the suggestions, but in this case I must hang my head in shame and admit that it is a case of "operator headspace and timing" (those of you who have ever fired a machine gun will know what I mean). Turns out that when I installed my ringneck dust collector, I didn't quite cut out enough of the cover on the right side, so periodically the cut motor swith was not clicking everytime. Turns out that a simple press on the right side after installing the cutting bit causes it to click and go on it's merry way cutting as appropriate. I will permanently remedy the situation with a dremel and trim a little more plastic off the cover this weekend.

badbert
10-26-2012, 06:27 PM
AHAA!! I was right!! I have been pondering this weird dilemma! Sorry, I will stop gloating now... LOL. So glad you got it fixed! When I cut my cover, I clamped a board as a guide. And used my multi-tool to cut it.

Digitalwoodshop
10-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Good JOB fixing it !!!!

There are SO FEW Troubleshooting Post since the machine is SO RELIABLE... This DRILL Keeps us HAPPY.... Making "A Matag Repair Man's" day.... Feel Needed....

Good Job !!!

AL

fwharris
10-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Clyde,

Glad to hear you got the problem figured out, a bit embarrassed for you but do not hang your head to low ;)!

Dale
10-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Don't feel bad I had the same problem, took awhile to figure out.