PDA

View Full Version : cutout out of line

amundo
10-22-2012, 05:13 PM
i purchased the wilderness clock, invested in a good piece of wood and started to cut it out. Spent 4 hours cutting and when it finished the cut out of the clock was 2 inches off from the bottom. Needless to say I was upset.56574 Can someone help with my problem?

thanks
Rick Merriss

SteveNelson46
10-22-2012, 05:21 PM
From the picture it looks like you had an X axis slip. The surface in the picture looks very rough. If it is the same on the other side then the brass roller probably lost contact with the board. All project boards MUST be flat, smooth, and have parallel sides and ends.

lynnfrwd
10-22-2012, 05:28 PM
That dark streak in the wood goes to the edge of the board where the tracking roller would be right about to where it appears to have gotten "off the mark".

Sorry, I can't think what else to call it but "dark streak". I know there's a term for it, but it is the end of a long hard Monday! By brain hurts.

If that area is too slick or too rough, it could be the root of your problem. I'm guessing too slick.

fwharris
10-22-2012, 05:34 PM
I have to agree with Steve, looks like the board slipped in the X movement. Things to do to avoid this is to place a strip of masking tape on the board edge that rides on the brass roller.

Other possible is, Check your project to insure the cut out path did not get moved for some reason.

fwharris
10-22-2012, 05:35 PM
That dark streak in the wood goes to the edge of the board where the tracking roller would be right about to where it appears to have gotten "off the mark".

Sorry, I can't think what else to call it but "dark streak". I know there's a term for it, but it is the end of a long hard Monday! By brain hurts.

If that area is too slick or too rough, it could be the root of your problem. I'm guessing too slick.

GRAIN??? :lol:

CarverJerry
10-22-2012, 05:36 PM
It's coming......ok Al who......chime in....:D

masking tape?

badbert
10-22-2012, 05:53 PM

That dark streak is Ambrosia. That wood is most likely "wormy" (ambrosia) Maple.

We have to remember, there are two modes of carving. Vector and raster. Vector is normal routing, Like cutting, Centerline text, edge route...etc. And then there is Raster carving, Like detailed patterns. The machine does raster carves first. During raster carves, the board moves very slowly. In vector carve the board moves quickly. The problem you are having here is "traction". In the rain or snow, when traction is low, if you accelerate slowly, your car moves, but if you accelerate quickly, you just spin your wheels. The X-drive lost traction when it tried to move quickly. Your board must be flat on the bottom so that it remains in contact with the belts. We have all learned this from experience. You need to put masking tape, on the edge for the brass roller (keypad side). Adding a few more rows of masking tape also improves traction. You might also want to check your belts and also head pressure.

henry1
10-22-2012, 06:02 PM
That is to bad have to agree with the others

TerryT
10-22-2012, 06:32 PM
The others are probably right.... but something just doesn't seem right in the picture. Again the others are probably correct but check your mpc just to make sure something didn't accidently get moved.

Digitalwoodshop
10-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Sure... I am stuck doing the Diner Dishes and you guys are having ALL the FUN.... I feel like the Matag Repair Man.... LOL.... Head Cook and Bottle Washer.... My day job....

Everyone is right on track.... It's all about the Brass Roller.... The Board lost contact with the Brass Roller causing the board to go off in the X Direction....

So I am wondering, I see 2 Chevrons, was this a 2 pass cut path or more.. Being Maple is SO HARD and SMOOTH too big of a bite with the 1/8th inch. While cutting in the X Direction the ability of the bit to actually cut FAST enough might have contributed to the X Stalling or moving the board without the Brass Roller Knowing it.... Remember, the Brass Roller is monitored by the computer and a somewhat open ended Servo Drive Order is given... for Example move from 0123 to 0133. Only 10 pulses.. BUT if the Brass Roller looses contact the Servo will still move the board "Waiting" for the Encoder to change from 0123 to 0133.... It can actually Spit the board out of the machine in the worst case..... Usually seen with a TOO THIN board where the Rubber Rollers cannot push the board down hard enough on to the brass roller..

OK... I about over killed this..... Try Masking Tape... And Confirm Board Thickness end to end.

Look at Head Level.

Look at your Sand Paper Belts and this can be caused when a Belt is rolled under at the brass roller raising the board off the roller. usually the one under the Cut Motor.

Good Luck,

AL

amundo
10-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Is it possible to set the outline route to 3 - 1/4 inch cuts instead of one complete cut. To avoid this problem I had.

b.sumner47
10-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Rick, Go up to where your mpc is displayed, go to where it says view,at the top, click on, make sure all the steps are correct for for the carving list. Just click one step at a time and see how it corresponses with what you told it to do, proper placement, lines line up where you want it to cut. I might be all wet ,but give it a try.

Capt Barry

mwhatch
10-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Yes, I sometimes use 1/8" cuts on harder woods.

bergerud
10-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Have you considered that the cutting bit could be dull?

In my experience, the board can slip on the sand paper if the cutting forces get too large. I always do multiple passes while staying under the rollers at all times.

I do not think that the brass roller is actually in control during cutting. Once the x encoder is synchronized with the brass roller, I think the x encoder is used as the position reference. Any slipping of the board relative to the belts seems not to be detected.

PCW
10-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Is it possible to set the outline route to 3 - 1/4 inch cuts instead of one complete cut. To avoid this problem I had.

Highlight your cutout then go to tools/cut path/towards the bottom put a check mark on maximum cut depth type in .250

Sorry for your loss....that was a nice piece of wood.