PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with an idea

andes
10-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Ok, once again I have comitted my self to help the local school (sports) out with making plaques. This year they gave me this football puzzle, and said that they wanted the name on it. I took one look at it as said what have I done LOL. the puzzle mounts on a dowel and its glued to the base. if this was not the case it would be much easier. I'm thinking of making some sort of plate and glueing it to the base. Now the issue is how thin can I go and does anyone ready have a small plate developed. contains 15 pieces and measures 6" x 4½" x 4". You can see a good picture of it at
http://www.bitsandpieces.com/dimensions-in-wood-sports-collection-football/p/42644/

The base is 3/8" thick, 5-1/2" x 3-3/4"

I could really use some help/suggestion. Thanks

Digitalwoodshop
10-19-2012, 08:59 PM
I think I would Scrap the bottom Wood and make a Plaque size Board and mount a wooden block in the lower 2/3 to the plaque and if the Ball has a Dowel then a appropriate hole in the block of wood attached to the wall hanging plaque.

You can use your CW to cut the School Name in the top 1/3 of the Plaque above where the Foot Ball will block. And the Name and Date on the bottom of the Plaque.

This will involve making and finishing the WOOD.... Most likely MORE than you Signed on for...

Another option... Go to an Award Shop and order Brass Plates with Double Stick Tape on the back ready to stick to the bottom plate supplied..

AL

b.sumner47
10-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Andrea, I agree with AL, the best why would be to place a brass nametag or if you know someone who does laser bisiness cards of wood,sorry.

Capt Barry

DocWheeler
10-20-2012, 12:58 PM
I carved something on veneer that fit on a curved surface.
I used this veneer (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2217&site=ROCKLER)and an 1/8" V-bit from Ron Justice.

Note to carvewright - I can not upload any new images; it says that the images are not the right type - I had to use an existing image rather than a crop of this same image!

andes
10-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Doc, I had the same issue when I tried to load the pic's for this, thought it was something I did LOL. But I now see that its not. But ref the veneer, I know that its to thin to cut by itself, did you mount it to a board and if so, how did you mount it? Did you use tape?

@Capt Barry and Al, you probilly are right, it may be more money and time then it worth. I will have to decide what I'm going to do this weekend, but Doc has a interesting idea.

badbert
10-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Cut the dowel. Drill out both pieces. Carve Base. Install new dowel.