PDA

View Full Version : How to make my own pattern from clip art

KeystoneChuck
10-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Can someone outline the steps for making a halfway presentable carving? I can download your patterns and they turn out great. I try and make a simple clipart pattern myself and I need to throw it across the room because it look like poo. I'm not even looking for a highly detailed carving. I tried to make a carving of a boat silhoutte (I might mention I like the inverted look vs drawing a cave region around the carving) my carvings have alot of "noise/chatter" around the edges. I make them via copy picture from google clipart, dropping them into inkscape and vectoring the drawing into a black and white them import it into CW and play with it in there. I have photoshop but don't know what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Like I said before your carvings are great but I want to contribute myself once I get the skills "Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

Digitalwoodshop
10-19-2012, 11:18 AM
That is something that I have yet to master and is the million dollar question.... The spikes can be minimized using the Blur tool to limit the spikes... Grabbing your image and turning it so you are looking down the edge or surface of the board and you will be able to see the spikes. A trick my buddy ChrisAlb taught me. To check a pattern for quality in 10 seconds.... More Spikes, the poorer the quality...

Other in the know will chime in. A Search might bring up some great stuff and check out AskBud's Videos too for Tips.

Photo Paint Programs along with some of the NEW Tools you can BUY for your machine from LHR with Pattern Designing Tools will go a long way to learning and DOING what you are asking.

Good Luck,

AL

Alan Malmstrom
10-19-2012, 01:48 PM
The New Vector Drawing Suite and Pattern Modeling Suite are really nice for creating patterns. You can download the latest Carvewright Designer software and try it out in demo mode for free. They have video tutorials also.

jlovchik
10-19-2012, 03:06 PM
CarveWright's pattern making software is by far the easiest and most efficient way to make quality patterns. No need for any of these expensive or difficult to use third-party programs. See the video on how the software works on the website. http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/tutorials/software-tutorials/modeling-suite/