PDA

View Full Version : homing sensor blocked

pontiak
01-30-2007, 07:53 PM
I changed my mind on taking the machine back. I played around with it for a few hours. Got it to work again. It ran for 1 hour.Finished the project. Turned it off. Cleaned it. Went to bed. Today went to make another sign.Turned it on . Now it says HOMING SENSOR BLOCKED. Any suggestions on what it is? There is nothing in the sensor that I can see.

BobHill
01-30-2007, 08:00 PM
With the heade up, LCD On, and Click 0, then 7 and check to see if the black bar on the Z track head is between the sensor and the back. The LCD should read Sensor Blocked. Move the head down and look. The LCD should now read unblocked. Is the black bar bent? Move the Z head all the way down and check the white ribbon to see if it's tight against the back, not crimped, and goes throught the slot and is held tight into the slot by either a tape (not curled or flapped open) or silicon of some type.

Bob

pontiak
01-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Bob. The head is in the middle of the Y track and down. There is no flag in the sensor. But it still says BLOCKED. If that ribbon cable is unplugged.Will it read BLOCKED?

BobHill
01-30-2007, 08:15 PM
If the ribbon is disconnected, then you can get a blocked or error message (I believe yes on blocked, but not sure). You can remove the top of the machine and check for tight connectors also. If loose or not in properly I'd use silicon to "glue" them in place, put the top back on and see if that works. Use care of the machine screws and washers that you don't drop them (easy to do) or lose them.

Bob

pontiak
01-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Ok. Thanks Bob. I'll try again. This will be the seventh time taking it apart. For a machine I have had for a little over two weeks. Is this normal?I'm spending more time fixing it than making stuff. I love the machine. It can make some cool stuff. I'm just getting frustrated.....

swhitney
01-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Hardware... something that if you tinker with it enough, it breaks
Software... something that if you tinker with it enough, it works

is this machine more software, or hardware????

good luck with it and may your problems go with the woodchips

Rick Devine
01-30-2007, 09:07 PM
If the z-axis truck is all the way to the top and the sensors are bracketing the flag, BLOCKED is the correct response for the sensor. I have been working with CW for the past two days with my maching because it will not register BLOCKED.

pontiak
01-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Rick. My machine was working fine. I made a project.Shut it down. The next day. I turned it on. Got the HOMING SENSOR BLOCKED.But its no where near the flags. It must be the ribbon cable out.I had problems with it before. The machine is in my dads garage. I have to check it out Wed.

pontiak
01-31-2007, 04:33 PM
I found the problem. HOMING SENSOR BLOCKED.It was full of dust. Removed it and cleaned. Back to carving! Hope this is the last time I have to pull it apart.

forqnc
02-18-2007, 12:21 PM
I went to do a carving this morning and experienced the same Homing error. After reading this thread and learning about the Options or ‘0’ button, I saw my sensor was always blocked, but the part nearest the track is loose or movable. When I touched it the sensor would clear. My fix was a piece of cardboard and duct tape. Hope the pictures below show better what I did. The first is the Homing sensor normally. The second is the piece of cardboard and duct tape (cereal box thickness). The third is the cardboard installed, note the duct tape stuck on the sensor.

I’m back to carving.
8) :D