PDA

View Full Version : Learning from your mistakes

badbert
10-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Let me start by saying, My Grandson, Gabe, is my world. The sun rises and sets by him. At 2 years old, he has taught me many lessons. Today he taught me another one.
The man cave belongs to him too, I spend a lot of time there so I like it when he visits. He knows what to play with (he has his own workbench and tools) and what not to touch. We keep all tools and objects out of his reach. And all power tools are unplugged after each use. He has his own ear muffs and safety glasses, which he promptly uses when ever he comes to visit. He has a stool that he stands on, and watches "Bucky" do her thing. Whenever a carve is finished, he loves to turn off the machine.... Even if it is just waiting for a bit change!!!
I have been running 24/7 to stockpile projects for a show this weekend. I have been carving on "normal" what I usually use as optimal. I have also been plagued with some mysterious cut path problems. My usual sled has been slipping in the X movement (too heavy with 40" x 12.5" x 3/4" board loaded. Today after carving a board with 5 projects on it, the machine paused for the cutting bit, but Gabe beat me to the machine and turned it off. Not a problem, I just Deleted everything except the cut paths, renamed the project CUT and uploaded it to the card. This time I noticed that even though it is all vector, I could still choose OPTIMAL for the cut paths! And it increased the time! This means it will cut slower and do a better job! Cut path problem solved! Thanks Gabe!

CNC Carver
10-16-2012, 03:06 PM
It's the little ones that teach us so much. Glad Gabe was able to give you a lesson on using Bucky! Thanks for sharing your lesson.

TerryT
10-16-2012, 03:10 PM
I just made the same discoverly the other day. It cuts considerably slower on optimal. May save on broken cutting bits.

CNC Carver
10-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Terry did Gabe come visit you also? lol

badbert
10-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Terry did Gabe come visit you also? lol

Terry should be so lucky! We all need a Gabe in our lives!

CNC Carver
10-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Yes we do! They bring lots of joy to us all.

ktjwilliams
10-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Thx Gabe,,, I just learned something ... I'll Have to put that to use and load both the carve and the path to the card as seperate projects .... Again Thx Gabe.... Oh and U 2 Bucky for sharing !!! LOL !!!