PDA

View Full Version : Yes, Even AL Who gets "Z Stall"....

Digitalwoodshop
10-15-2012, 06:44 PM
I am cutting some more tags for a big order and the 1/16th End Mill Bit finally punched a hole through the Brass Roller Holder and when the bit pierced the plastic I got a Z Stall when the Z Head went down doing it's "BOB" next to the Keypad.

First project tonight so I tried again after blowing out the Z Belt with Air... Stall again... Look and a neat 1/16th hole in the Brass Roller Holder.... I will fill it with Epoxy another day... A Quick Fix... Double Sided Tape and a rectangle of this Credit Card Thick Plastic and I am Happily Carving or in my case making more Vector Cut Tag Blanks.

So even AL Who gets Z Stalls.... I am sure GLAD I read the Forum and knew what to DO....:mrgreen::mrgreen:
:roll:
AL Who :mrgreen:

fwharris
10-15-2012, 07:33 PM
And we are sure glad to have your knowledge being shared!! :D

Thanks!

CNC Carver
10-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Yes thank you goes to Al Who shares all his knowledge with the rest of us. I do not think LHR would still be around with out the help of all on this forum and you definately support the repair side for most of us here. BIG THANKS!!!

eelamb
10-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Al is it time to change your brushes, since the cut motor kept spinning on the touch down? Nice trick to fix the problem. I thought it was to glue a dime over the hole.

ladjr
10-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks Al for sharing, it shows we are all human

TerryT
10-15-2012, 09:26 PM
I am sure GLAD I read the Forum and knew what to DO....:mrgreen::mrgreen:
:roll:
AL Who :mrgreen:

LOL... you been working too late again Al!

badbert
10-15-2012, 09:30 PM
I agree, I think you should check your cut motor brushes. How many hours are on your machine? The fix is to epoxy a dime over the hole,works great! Don't worry Al will be along in a minute to help... Oh yeah!! LOL NEVERMIND...:D

Digitalwoodshop
10-15-2012, 10:56 PM
Thanks Guys and all the other guys that have continued to share too.... I am just one of many...

It is a pretty new Cut Motor and the brushes are pretty good... And YES, that is the first question to ask... WAS the Bit still spinning as it went down and drilled the hole.... The answer in this case was no it was not... It had stopped before moving down... The Culprit in this case was the thinness of the 1/16th End Mill and the number of times it has bumped into the Brass Roller Plastic.. and finally it has punched through just due to it's thinness and the number of times...

Wrapping up for the night, 2nd Midnight in a while... Working on a Tag Order.... AND backing up pictures on a 64GB USB Thumb Drive.. And it is driving me nuts....

I finally learned to eject or safe to remove the drive, that was part of the problem... But transfered files from the Hard Drive to a FAT32 Thumb Drive, some of the pictures don't show up properly... Something I am doing wrong... When transferring or copy the files...

I am learnng...

AL :evil:

BMURPH8
10-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Al Who, sprry about your luck, I am still learning the ins and outs of the CarveWright, on these blogs my big setback is lingo, would it be a huge bother to toss up a pic or two of the area that you drilled the hole? I can picture the brass roller but not the "Plastic Holder". Or if you could direct me to a schematic that would work just as well.

thanks

bmurph8

CNC Carver
10-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Al on your pictures you will need to let windows create the thumbnail (small pic you see looking thru your folder) This may take some time with the number of pics you have on your thumb drive. Leave your thumb drive in for a while and they should show up the same. Creates file thumbs.db on your usb drive.

Smoken D
10-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Al, was this what you were looking at? Yep, just a little of the plastic money will fix.:D Good fix Al!!!!

Digitalwoodshop
10-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Thanks for posting the Picture... Just getting into the shop, Road Trip day... Got another big $1.5K+ tag order.. WOW...

And thanks for the advice on the USB... I believe that I am rushing it too..... I will work on it another day.... In the mean time I will continue to back up to USB Hard Drives.... Thanks for the Advice...

AL

tbroeski
10-17-2012, 05:55 AM
How do you get the screws out of the z truck bearings? They seem glued in and won't budge.

badbert
10-17-2012, 06:33 AM
You have to heat them up, they have permanent loctite on them. I am not sure how to apply the heat... Al will chime in on how to get them off.

PCW
10-17-2012, 08:40 AM
How do you get the screws out of the z truck bearings? They seem glued in and won't budge.

You need a thin wrench to remove the two screws on the right side facing the Z trunk. See picture Once the right bearings are removed you can remove the trunk. The left side bearing takes a flat screwdriver to hold while you unscrew but that's has to be done with Z trunk off..

You can try heating the head of the screws on the right side with a soldering iron and as a last resort drill off the head of the screw then use vise grips to remove the the remaining screw from the bearing. You can find replacement cap screws or hex head screws at your local hardware store.

bergerud
10-17-2012, 11:02 AM
If all else fails, here is a way to remove the screws without having to drill. Heat would help but may not be necessary. This method can work even if you have already mashed the screws. Remember to to turn the nut not the screw.

http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52722&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1335658914 (http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52722&d=1335658914) http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52723&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1335658921 (http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52723&d=1335658921) http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52721&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1335658907 (http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52721&d=1335658907)

Digitalwoodshop
10-17-2012, 11:53 AM
GREAT Pictures and Method.... THANKS.... New Working Hours in the Shop... Breakfast, Very Long DOG WALK and Relax by the Creek then Lunch then.... WORK... Try to quit by 5 PM and take the evening off... At least that's the plan..... So any calls, Mid Day is best.... Late Night is only if Required... Like the 4 orders I have today..... Working on getting healthy...

I have also Drilled them out to get the Truck off then like posted above the screw stud can be heated direct with a soldering iron of small torch and with vice grips remove the screw from the bearing.

And like posted above, The Offset drilled hole is designed to pivot and clamp the bearing on the rail. So properly installed it will have the flat of the nut facing out when the bearing is properly closed all the way. In the past I used nail polish to mark the outer flat closest to the screw hole.. Now I drill a tiny hole in the flat facing out so it is easy to see.

My suggested method to install the bearing is to snug the screw up with a quality #2 Phillips Screwdriver or if you upgrade to metric Allen screws. The original screws are soft and easily strip. So snug the screw with the wrench on the outside flat. Then back off the wrench slightly about 1/8 turn then snug the screwdriver then hold and tighten the wrench. Too LOOSE and the bearing will rotate... Too Tight and the Screw will SNAP OFF.... Just Right.... You have MASTERED the Bearing install....

Good Luck,

AL