PDA

View Full Version : Another Z Axis Stall Error 246 problem

Baron Richard
01-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Have had the machine up and running since Sunday where I did 2 projects, which just need some clean up on my part in the designer. When I tried a third project on Monday I started getting Z Axis Stall Error 246 messages and the cutting heard started doing it’s own thing over the project. :cry:

I have run through all the Z Axis stall troubleshooting guides on the Forum without success. There is no play in the Cutting head truck and I have moved it all around between cutting attempts. Cleaned and blew sawdust out as well as I could, cannot see and dust around the board edge sensor. Loaded new pieces of wood several times (sometimes I just turned the board over as what cutting done was in the center of the board). Tried reloading the project on the card and tried making modifications to the project and re-loading. On Monday evening the cutting head moved higher and higher every try till I stopped the job or it errored out. Tonight, sometimes it cut higher and higher, sometimes it cut lower and lower till I stopped the job. Twice it managed to cut through the ¾” board before I stopped it, but each time it wandered it was a progressive thing. First 3 errors Monday night happened in the first 5-10 minutes of cutting, during the fourth cutting attempt the head started rising about 20-25 minutes into a 45 minute project. Today I bought some new wood to rule that out as a problem, but the errors happen in the first 2-3 minutes, 1st and 3rd attempt cut deeper and deeper into the wood until I stopped the project, the 2nd attempt rose up into the air above the project and generated an error 246 message.

Called for LHR assistance around 5:30pm EST this evening. I was told that my request for assistance would be passed on to a support engineer. and I would get a call back. Did not receive a call back so far. I am posting this on the Trouble Shooting Forum and sending it in with the diagnostic messages recorded on the memory card.

Since I work from 7am-5pm EST(including travel time) I will not be available to receive a call back till after that time. Please leave a message on my answering machine at the number I left with the operator, else I wall call again tomorrow evening.

dcozort
01-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Baron Read my posting in the troubleshooting section posted today.. My machine is doing something quite similar.. you'll find pictures and explanations about this problem... I also have called on more than one occasion and got no response yet... although I'm keeping my fingers crossed...... I really don't want to take mine back to sears....

Dale Osborne
01-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Check out taking my machine back!!!!!!!!!! changed my mind... In trouble shooting. That is what was wrong with my machine, not saying it is your problem just something to look for. I was getting the same error 246, it was a loose cable..... Again I am not saying this is your problem, so do not think you should not contact Carvewright. Just trying to help.
P.S I have photos posted

Dale Osborne
01-30-2007, 09:15 PM
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:06 pm Post subject: Taking machine back!!!!!!!!!!! Changed my mind

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I said I was taking my machine back 1-29-07. But I decided to take the cover off and I found a cable that had pulled out,( glue that was holding cable had come loose). I put it back in and used a hot glue gun to glue it back. When the machine quit I was cutting a sign with the the bark background and it cut almost thru the sign, so after I put the cable back in I done a simple sign and than tried the sign with the bark and it completed it and 2 more signs without a problem. I really want this machine to work and with all the help everyone has got from Carvewright lets me know they are going to stand behind their machines. I have posted a picture of the cable and also of the sign.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

swhitney
01-30-2007, 09:16 PM
dale ...
bad news... pics did not show up....

Doc
01-30-2007, 09:17 PM
My machine is doing the same but mostly when i select cut to design. It has drilled two holes in the small plastic sliding guide plate release lever and two in the plastic piece next to the board tracking sensor. I too have been not getting any help from carve wright and have called them three times with the we will get right back to you. I got a message on answering machine but had already gone to work so will try and call them tomorrow.

Baron Richard
01-31-2007, 09:31 AM
I did check the ribbon cable intot the back of the cutting truck, It seams well seated. Also, it does not have teh black silicone that others have reported, but rather a translucent yellow sealer that is very hard, it appears like an epoxy securing the ribbon cable to the connector.

benluz
01-31-2007, 04:07 PM
Hello, if the ribbon cable is not loose as descriibed in the other post , you will need a z-xis motor kit.Carvwright ran out of them and are waiting for new one's the problem is a poor connection inside the unit that has to be soldered.I'm waiting for one as well.The first shipment from the factory had a few conection and quality issues, but most can be easily fixed. Call carve wrigth and instead of hittining 4 hit 19 or 20 and leave a message with those technicians and they can get you fixed up.
Ben

Baron Richard
02-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Called again last night and did not get a call back. I was told by the operator that they were down to 1 technician and that it might be 2 or 3 days before I get a call back... :cry:

pwngsd
02-01-2007, 06:20 PM
When mine stalled (on my second test project) I noticed that when the project was starting the bit would move all the way to the other side and push a metal tab under the bit; however, it didn't push it all they under the bit and the bit was knicking the side scaping the metal and going to far down. Next try, I pushed it over farther with my hand when it was going through this routine so the tab would extend out far enough for the bit to touch. It worked fine after then. I have to do that every time or it will give me the stall error because it could set it's depth properly.

I'm new to the machine and forum. Not sure if this issue has been discussed before. <G> I'm not sure how to fix this permanantly.

Paul

The Bard
02-01-2007, 07:30 PM
http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/troubleshooting/bit_plate_adj.pdf

it is a common problem with the old software not working as well as the new software. Also, a few minor things can help out. Good luck!

baron, I have your information here and will be calling you in probably half and hour. Hope you're there!

Ron Baird
02-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Did you go to the calibration test on the key pad and run the calibation set up. that may be what is wrong.

Baron Richard
02-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Talked to The Bard Thursday evening.. Classic example of "a Tool" :D ( and I mean that in a very positive manner). Good to work with even when more than a little overworked!

Problem does appear to be the Z Axis encoder, and a new one is on the way (I hope :wink: ) Hopefully I'll be up and carving before next week is out.

Thanks to all of you out there for your suggestions. The helpfulness of this forum made sure I never really got upset, depresses or (very) frustrated :? , even if my first message didn't sound that way. (I was trying to be thorough in the description of what I had done already to diagnose what was going on. I have worked as 4th level computer network support for more than 12 years, and really dislike having to go over all my trouble shooting steps "again" to prove to the "first level - script reader" at the tech support call center that I really do know what I'm talking about when I say "It's dead Jim" :wink: )

Chris was very helpful and had obviously read my message and the test and check he had me do were one's I had not done and it only took 15 minutes, which was a relief, to finally have an answer and a proposed fix.

Hats off to all the helpful, skillful and patient people at LHR and here on these forums.

pwngsd
02-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Hey "The Bard"

Thanks for the pdf link to correct the bit touch plate issue.
I'm going to try it out in a little while.

-Paul

The Bard
02-04-2007, 12:11 AM
glad I could help.

we appreciate the patience and are trying to staff up as fast as possible without losing quality service. Just think, this is the WORST it will ever be (machines and service)... after this we'll be having two hour lunch breaks and checking our watches ten times a day with boredom.

HerbO
02-04-2007, 10:33 AM
I don't think it will get that boring.
I run a small ISP and the problems and questions never end.
I had an older lady call me and her son gave her his old computer.
When I asked her to double click on My Computer she asks what do you mean. Move your mouse arrow over my computer and double click...she asks what is a mouse. Two hours later she was on the net and email setup...usaully a ten minute job.
Another customer I asked what type of Windows they had the they said ..I am not sure the house was built in the 40's

The Bard
02-04-2007, 07:45 PM
I had a roommate who did tech support... he talked to a guy and told him to click on the item, and drag the mouse to his trashcan.

then he heard a "clunk" :oops:

and lots of stories of the "cup holder" breaking the first time they used it.

pwngsd
02-06-2007, 11:07 AM
I had to cut the rib off of the that piece of plastic.
works great now.
just did a 3.5 hour sign and it came out great!