PDA

View Full Version : CarveWright decorative bits

sw123man
10-11-2012, 11:00 PM
I received as a gift of decorative bits which is for the carvewright machine but I have the carvetight machine.How do I change them to fit the carvetight?what do I need to buy?

Deolman
10-11-2012, 11:45 PM
You will need to remove the old style adapters. On the 1/4" bits you need to heat the locking screws to release the loctight on the threads. On the 1/2" bits loctight isn't used and wrenches are all that is needed. Next, you will need a collet and stops like these here:

http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=294

That should do it. Another tip as pointed out on another post, add magnets similiar to the ones in the case and the case will still hold your bits.

AskBud
10-12-2012, 12:16 AM
I heated my 1/4" bits in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Then, using two oven mitts, remove the two screws. Most bits should drop out easily. If not, use a vise or slot in a board to make a make-shift arbor press, Take a large nail to tap the bit out of the adapter.

The 1/2" bits need no heat, as they are held in place by a nut assembly rather than the screws.
AskBud

Kmbzak
10-14-2012, 05:53 PM
I just went through the same issue. I bought the bits through Lowes and they had the quick change collet on them. Be careful when handling the bits they are sharp. I was trying to remove the screw from the collet and it slipped slicing my finger open. What I did was to put the collet in a vice and I heated it up with a torch, Then I used vice grips and the screw came right out. I did this to both sides. Then heated the collet and tapped it with a punch and it slid right out. Put a towel under it because they come out easy.

Good luck
Ken