PDA

View Full Version : Travelling the US in a motorhome-- with a carvewright?

lawrence
10-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Exciting news (for me anyway)

LOML and I are counting down the months (about a year to go) until my retirement from the Air Force. We are SERIOUSLY knocking around the idea of buying a motorhome and taking the kids around the US for the better part of a year (before we move the the UK permanently) We're (slowly) shopping for RVs and making tentative plans. (staying in a lot of military campgrounds for one) Right now we plan to kick things off in December of 2013 with San Diego and head east across the south (slowly) ending up in Key West. We then will head north with the weather-- meeting up with friends and having fun along the way (with lots of historical stops and perhaps even a couple of stops at woodworking schools for me for several weeks at a time) and will finish up in Maine. After this we are headed south and west (summertime) to S. Dakota and Wyoming-- ending up in Seattle. Finally we plan to take our time heading south through California, spending lots of time in Yosemite and finishing up in San Diego and completing our 10,000+ mile journey. We plan to home-school our boys (they will be 10 and 11), getting them up to speed for the English school system with their curriculum. (England is about 6 mos ahead of the Arizona system in most things and we need to get them up to speed on geography, history, and social studies appropriate for the UK)

I REALLY want to somehow take along the Carvewright-- There are lots of woodworking shops on many of the bases we'll be visiting so I'll be able to prep wood (plus hand tools and I plan to take my festool saw and dc for breaking down goods) I'm racking my brain to come up with how I will go about running my CW (without being too loud re: neighbors!). Today I swung by our local RV stop on base and was informed that I would DEFINITELY be able to sell customized signs similar to the one I made recently for a trailer. It would be nice to augment my military retirement with a couple of bucks- not necessary, but nice. Any suggestions on sound deadening or running thee machine off a standard motorhome genny would be appreciated (should I get a UPS for it for example)

We are in the VERY early stages right now and would love to hear any suggestions/share our experience with y'all.

I look forward to your responses-and sharing this experience with you.
V/r
Lawrence

lynnfrwd
10-09-2012, 10:47 PM
I expect to see you about half way between San Diego and key west!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chief2007
10-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Would be a great adventure, I would say to get a RV with Toy hauler compartment. This would still allow for you to tow a vehicle and give you an area too have the carvewright and tools.

There are several 5th wheels that are to haulers if that route is an option for you.

lawrence
10-09-2012, 11:22 PM
we're ruling out the 5th wheel for a few reasons... which really narrows down our toyhauler scenarios. We're looking at class-a bunkhouses while towing a jeep. Great idea/point though- please keep them coming! (and yes Connie- we'll definitely swing by y'alls way (and maybe get a chance to buy a couple more folks here a cup of coffee along the way)

Thanks again, keep the suggestions coming please-
Lawrence

badbert
10-10-2012, 12:20 AM
I worked as the lead technician on the Ford f-53 Motorhome chassis program for ten years. We performed durability tests every year. And always with a different model. The bodybuilders took great pride in assembling their best models so they could receive free testing. I spent a lot of time repairing strengthening and reassembling their bodies. Which had a 100 times higher failure rate than our chassis. All of them except one... NewMar (http://www.newmarcorp.com/). Hands down the best built body on the road, in class A bodies. We failed a fuel tank (huge deal) one year. Which meant we had to re-run durability. Rather than send the backup chassis to the bodybuilder (6 week turnaround) I opted to rebuild the newmar existing body. It took me two weeks, but I lifted the Motorhome on the hoist, supported the body, cut it loose, and lowered the chassis from underneath it. Rolled in the backup chassis, raised it up to mate with the body, and reassembled it. The body had already been through 43000 miles of the 60000 mile test. It finished the second round without a problem. 103,000 miles of torture you would never consider putting your personal vehicle through. And that body lived through it unharmed. There were several manufacturers that literally fell apart during testing. Their wiring systems are second to none. They actually make wiring harnesses from print and assemble them on a bench. Most body-builders, just string wire from point a to point b. Sometimes using the same colored wire! Seriously Lawrence, you can waste a year just working the bugs out of an RV! I am in no way affiliated with them, just a fan of their work. Go to their site and take the tour of their factory.

easybuilt
10-10-2012, 12:26 AM
Sounds Like a fun adventure and what a wonderful way to share our beautiful country with your kids. You might be able to attend our users group meeting in Seattle area.

unitedcases
10-10-2012, 09:24 AM
When I was stationed at quantico we used to try and go at a minimum once a year to the naval rec center at solomons island patuxent river Maryland. Very cheap. Very safe, they have sentries guarding the entrance. Just need your military id. They usually have something planned daily for the kids and there is a lot to do. It's hard to find on the internet but its one of the navys best kept secrets. You should look it up. And if you are around the quantico area check out the prince William forest. No power hookups but they have bathrooms with showers. They have quite a few trails and its cheap as well.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

pkunk
10-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Why not use the base shop for the CW? Most RV parks have electric but if you get out in the national forests away from people you'll use your generator and as long as it's just you and nature the CW will just be another noise. We go all over in our motorhome but I've not taken the CW. For some RV forums to enlighten, entertain, and inform go to these for a start. http://www.irv2.com/forums/ http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm I have lots of links to other informative sites for repair and things like free & low cost campsites.
2 things-get a good insurance policy with roadside assistance and don't buy new. Let someone else absorb the huge depreciation hit and work out the bugs. A MH is a house the rattles itself to pieces on our nations horrible highways!

PCW
10-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Perhaps a frame made out of 1" lumber covered with ply on the outside with advertisement. Hard mount the CW to the bottom of the box. Surround all inter side area with 1 " foam rubber for sound deadening. Bottom and top of the box could have latches and handles allowing for safe transporting. Bottom air vents and a opening for the muffler. Military specs....:mrgreen:

PS: Have you ever thought about seeking help for this obsession...JK

CNC Carver
10-10-2012, 12:12 PM
I made a box from just 1" Foam and self stick velcro for reducing the sound from the carvewright. Just make sure you still have some air movement. A dust collector should be enough.

Digitalwoodshop
10-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Wonderful Idea..... I retired from San Diego in 95.... Sadly I saw the 32nd Street Naval Station Wood Hobby Shop closed in about 92 and turned into big offices for the Moral Welfare Recreation Staff.... Big Bummer in MY book.... They needed more room for the BLOATED TOP STAFF and AXED the Wood Shop.... Norfolk, VA Naval Station had a GREAT Wood Shop in the 80's...

OK.. NOISE... Being a Resourceful guy like yourself.... I think I would start with the CUT MOTOR.... Penn State Industries sells THIS....

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLVSKIT.html Don't even know the RPM of the Current Cut Motor.. This maxes out at 4400 RPM.

Hopefully the Firmware Lord will chime in on this off the wall idea.... I would rig THIS motor above the machine in line with the X Axis and have the business end of the motor with an appropriate shaft coupling to attach to the flex shaft. The Flex would just drape down in the center of the X Axis far enough aft to allow the flex to easily move left and right in Y and up and down in Z. I am "Guessing" that this motor will be much quieter than the current cut motor.....

The "Trick" is to fool the Computer... I believe that even with the Cut Motor Magnet moved to the Shaft Connection Area, that the Computer will give you a CCM or Check Cut Motor "IF" the Cut Motor SPEED Monitored is not what the Computer is expecting.... This is where the Firmware Lord could point us in the correct direction.... Because I also believe that the X Termination Board and the Q1 Circuit on that board along with the Optical Isolator Chips has some limited speed control over the Cut Motor Speed... Hence we do see a speed variation in some cut operations... IF the Cut Motor were replaced with a RELAY and that RELAY turned on the Variable Speed Quieter Cut Motor.... It "Might Work".... IF we got a CCM in the past, I believe that the Cut Motor just went into a "Programmed Speed" based on a value placed by the Firmware Lord and Company. This usually made the Cut Motor run at a high speed with NO Cut Motor Feedback via the Magnet... I believe if the machine was cutting some Text and detected the Motor bogging down that it "Might" speed up the RPM.... OR that effect could just be my over active imagination or just a pre programmed speed based on the Text Scheduled to carve....

SO with ALL that.... It just might work... The Variable Speed would be useful as before you changed to this system you would buy a portable reflection Tachometer and measure the Shaft Speed for various operations and you could use the Variable Speed to be sure you had enough RPM's to properly cut the project....

Another option..... A Poor Option... AIR DRIVE Motor... But based on my experience with a Air Operated DRILL.... Very Noisey....

Another option.... A FLUID PUMP.... for a Cut Motor.... A Hydraulic MOTOR....

With a future move to the other side of the POND.... THIS research could be very useful....

Another more expensive option.... Convert a Spindle Motor.... The Exact name is slipping me at the moment... but a Variable Speed Drive Motor that a Shop Bot and the Big Boys use.... But a smaller version... The PLUS for them is LESS NOISE....

I have mentioned this idea in the past and the mention of replacing the Cut Motor for a RELAY got a Thumbs DOWN from LHR.... I think it is the speed issue... A Solid State Relay would be an option.... Stay away from the Mercury Wet Relays as tipping the unit can cause the Relay to activate.... Scientific Atlanta a Antenna Positioner Company made a controller to move antennas in a Test Range setup. I worked for this company in San Diego called Microwave Specialty Company. The day I was hired the Boss said he had a project for me... Change out the smaller Antenna Positioner on the Roof of the building with a heavier unit that also had Tachometer Feedback. I had to make all the connection Boxes and wire a 3rd Axis that was being added... I did it as seen by this picture below... The New Controller had Mercury Relays and a warning sign on the front... One day a Engineer went to move the control box with the power on.... Tilting the control unit caused the relays to activate making his antenna as seen on the TV Camera MOVE.... He was not happy.... Then HE saw the Sticker... So stay away from Mercury Power Relays.....

Picture: The new heavier Scientific Atlanta Positioner I wired for the Roof of the Building. This building sat along RT 78 near I 15 in San Marcos, CA. And for years working still at the NAVY, I would drive by this place always looking to see what NEW Antenna was on the Roof... Being a Navy Radar and Computer Tech... One day 2 years before Retirement I walked in on a Saturday Morning and was Hired on the SPOT... Worked 2 years as the Calibration Tech nights and weekends...

GOOD LUCK !!!!

AL

lawrence
10-10-2012, 11:16 PM
thanks a TON guys--after further research and looking at RVs the last few days- here's where we are

1- we're getting a Class-A. We will be between 6 months and a full year on this trip... we simply need the space for 4 of us
2- we're searching for 07-11 class A's with bunk beds for our boys- know anyone selling one? Something like this would be perfect (except this one is in York PA)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-Newmar-Canyon-Star-3410-2-Bunk-2-slides-22k-mi-workhorse-Excellent-/200830528765?pt=RVs_Campers&hash=item2ec26eacfd
3- we're going to sell our vehicles and buy a small "toad" (see below)

Now for another thing I need input on... what do you think about this idea-- we're planning to sell our current vehicles and get a small manual transmission suv to use as a dingy (I'm leaning towards a jeep patriot) With the back folded down I 'should' be able to do sign carving with everything closed up. I could put my festool dust collector back there and use extension cables from the RV generator to the dc and carvewright. I've also considered adding foam around the unit (spray foam inside, sheet foam shell outside) to deaden the sound even more. I could use a small wireless camera to monitor things.

I'm curious what y'all think about this and whether it sounds at all feasible.... also, to those of you that have spent time on RV campgrounds, do you think this setup would be so loud as to disturb the neighbors? I'm curious as to how quiet I can get this thing to be without going to a different cut motor.

I can't help but think that I could make a few bucks selling trailer signs/nameplates/carved sink cutting board covers etc. while we are on our journey.

Thanks again for all the input y'all have given so far- please keep it coming.

Lawrence

ibewiggin
10-10-2012, 11:55 PM
I absolutely love our class A motorhome. They have so much storage now too. What ever vehicle you tow behind it, I would get a protective bra for the front of it. They have clear stick on ones that work very well. Otherwise the rock chips get really bad. The two things I love to use that most people always say " why didn't I think of that" are binoculars and walkie talkies. Nice for seeing signs sooner, and comunicate while manuevering tight areas. We keep them in the center.consule area. Can't wait till we start using ours for traveling instead of camping. Hope to see you during your trip.

badbert
10-11-2012, 01:49 AM
I think it is an ingenious idea. If the patriot is 4 wheel drive, make sure it can be flat-towed. And remember if you use a bumper hitch, you can not back up! The negative camber will turn the wheel and rip the front-end out. A good option is a tow dolly. Buy something front wheel only, Like a minivan, drive it up on the dolly and strap it down. Rear wheels are free to roll forward and back. And they have BRAKES!! As far as the walky-talky to backup. Don't even think about not getting a backup camera! I truly believe any vehicle over 24 feet, should be required to have one. You can get them with built in microphones. So you can hear the Moan-backs! They usually work in two modes, auto; which only comes on in reverse. And Manual bypass; which lets it work like a rear-view mirror. Nice ones even have Night mode. With a little practice you won't need any help backing up! Another option you will want is power leveling jacks. Maintenance and repair are much easier when you can jack it up yourself by the push of a button. A few slabs of wood and you can get the tires off the ground! Nothing worse than sleeping on a bed that isn't level.

johnsonswamp
10-11-2012, 06:22 AM
You could look for a an enclosed trailer just big enough to fit the jeep or a car in, when you want to carve just back the vehicle out. Only downfall is that would be 4 extra tires and bearings to worry about.

SteveEJ
10-11-2012, 09:54 AM
For power issues, ie: Generator or shore power, I would have a dedicated UPS for the CW. Good battery backed up computer model should work!

pkunk
10-11-2012, 10:18 AM
The onboard generator will be fine for running the CW without a UPS. Commercial campgrounds (most) will not allow any kind of selling, nevermind the noise. I gave up on that idea long ago.

pkunk
10-11-2012, 10:28 AM
I just re-read your first post. Key west-be prepared for $100-$150 a night RV space and make reservation a year in advance. MHs are too big for the town so only the toad will fit the streets.

ibewiggin
10-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Back up cameras are nice, and the leveling jacks a must. I would still strongly suggest the walkie talkies. They always seem to be used one way or another. When the pesky hot water heater won't light, etc. On our first motorhome something always seemed to go wrong or break. So, tools are a must.

lawrence
10-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Well, thanks so very much again all- We've ended up buying (it's gonna take a few days to sort the paperwork out) a 2004 Damon Challenger 327 - it's a 34 foot Gas with 50K miles and is clean as a whistle in and out. The tires are good but I'll probably still replace them as they are 4 years old. The same is true about the house batteries. We got it cheap enough that we are still going to be under low NADA after my estimated maintenance
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/1-2.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/2-6.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/4.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/3-2.jpg

Also thrown in is a grill, a blue ox towbar, and a brake arrester for our toad.

I plan to take out the wardrobe to put in bunks for our 2 boys- a curtain will separate the bunks from the main bed area.

Person-to-person sale, so no sales tax here in Arizona, and as I'm active duty, my registration for the year will cost me $7... I feel very fortunate.

We're excited and looking forward to learning about our new home on wheels.

Now to figure out how to quietly run my Carvewright in it....

V/r
Lawrence

easybuilt
10-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Looks Like a awesome deal Lawrence and you guys will have a great time too!

badbert
10-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Damon bought Holiday Rambler. Their plant is Gigantic, they build a very nice product! 50K is a lot of miles for a Motorhome. Tires are a good place to start. But the driveshaft is ready to be rebuilt. And a complete brake job should have already been done. At that mileage it needs rotors, and wheel bearings. Change the fluid in the differential as well. Unless the front end has been repaired, it will need some servicing too. Check for play in the Kingpins. Or Ball joints of it is a Chevy. Really go over the maintenance records and see what kind of problems it has had in the past. If it is a chevy the front springs are probably ready too. The rear springs need to have the Eye-bolt bushings checked. And while you under there. Upgrade the sway bar bushings and links. I wished you lived closer... But I am unable to do any of this work anymore. But I could at least go over it for you. Good Luck with her!

ladjr
10-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Very nice, when does the bus leave for Forida.

fwharris
10-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Happy trails to you!!! :D

CNC Carver
10-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Is there going to be a slide out in the back for the carvewright workroom? Very nice I'm sure you will enjoy yourself.

pkunk
10-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Damon bought Holiday Rambler. Their plant is Gigantic, they build a very nice product! 50K is a lot of miles for a Motorhome. Tires are a good place to start. But the driveshaft is ready to be rebuilt. And a complete brake job should have already been done. At that mileage it needs rotors, and wheel bearings. Change the fluid in the differential as well. Unless the front end has been repaired, it will need some servicing too. Check for play in the Kingpins. Or Ball joints of it is a Chevy. Really go over the maintenance records and see what kind of problems it has had in the past. If it is a chevy the front springs are probably ready too. The rear springs need to have the Eye-bolt bushings checked. And while you under there. Upgrade the sway bar bushings and links. I wished you lived closer... But I am unable to do any of this work anymore. But I could at least go over it for you. Good Luck with her!
That's a F53 Ford V10, same as mine & I have over 70K of trouble free miles. My drive shaft is tight, brakes at 70%, front end is tight, and the only thing needed replacement was the rear sway bar bushings. 20 min. repair by me with new poly bushings off ebay for $40, and I'm 70. If it hasn't had a trans oil change that might be recommended, but the rear end is good for 100k.

badbert
10-25-2012, 12:56 PM
That's what I like to HEAR!!! That is my BABY!! I built the first 6 prototypes for that chassis. After battling for years with the OLD f53, I fought long and hard for all the changes! Everything from the widened frame rails and front axles. To the 1/2" trans cooler lines! I started with blank frame rails, drilled every hole. Made the wiring harnesses, brake lines, fuel lines. The wider front axle and the bulkhead mounted brake master cylinder, revolutionized the industry! There are two different chassis' though. One has an electric assist brake booster and a Huge Dana 135 rear axle. The smaller one has hydraulic brake booster and a Dana 80. If you guys are riding around on those crappy General tires... pitch them and buy Michelins. They improved the 45mph lane change by 180 feet and half of a lane! You might also want to look into the Bilstein shocks. If they aren't already equipped. Also check your gas tank for me. Does it have just straps underneath, or does it have cross-members? The cross-members lower the ground clearance by a little more than an inch. But if you break a strap with out the cross-members... dragging an 80 gallon gas bomb down the road is not recommended! It took me 8 years to finally get them to improve the fuel tank with cross-members. I did most of the original suspension development, the ride is a little stiff, but it handles better (at that time) than any chassis made. Pulling the spring contract from the Mexican supplier to the American supplier improved the rate accuracy by 40%.
I am glad your driveline is holding up! Keep regular maintenance on it, and keep it lubed very well! It can go wrong very quickly. If it is a Dana 135 rear end, I concur it is good. But the Dana 80 is overworked at that weight. And I strongly urge you to change the fluid, and use Ford's Synthetic Hypoid lube!

jpaluck
10-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Lawrence,

Looks awesome, but where is the bar going?

ladjr
10-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Lawrence,

Looks awesome, but where is the bar going?

There is another one behind this one which is the carvewright tool shop and Bar

lawrence
10-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks a bunch guys- I really appreciate the support and help from everyone (esp badbert and pkunk with such intimate knowledge of the system I a buying!)

We are getting the unit waaaaay under NADA low price (over 10% below low book) and there is no tax because it is a private sale- Registration is free for me as I am still active duty so my tax/tag/title/registration is only a total of $23 - This is allowing us to set aside a significant amount of $$ in an emergency fund for any major repairs- with the hopes that we won't need it... (but just in case!)

We're also buying this RV a full year out from our planned depart time- allowing us time to adjust what we need to and do several dry-run trips throughout the year to get us used to it and (hopefully) highlight issues (which we are sure will crop up)

Thanks again, and PLEASE keep the inputs coming!

Lawrence

pkunk
10-25-2012, 06:25 PM
It looks like a nice rig and clean (indicates that it was taken care of), but I don't want you to spend $$ unnecessarily. I have rebuilt many of the parts of RVs over the years and can steer you to the best way to handle any repairs you might need. PM me here or from RV.net. One other thing...before you hit the road, get a good RV roadside assistance insurance. Coachnet is one of the best. Also, look as joining Family Motor Coach Assn. They have many benefits for members.

rcdages
10-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Very nice RV. The year on the road sould be very enjoyable for all of you.

What made you deside to move to the UK ?

lawrence
10-26-2012, 04:08 PM
What made you deside to move to the UK ?

My wife is English- I met her and married her when I was stationed there (8 years) - Both my boys were born there and hold dual UK/US citizenship. I promised LOML I'd take her back home after I retired, and she's holding me to it :) Besides which, I really do enjoy the countryside, people, and culture (not to mention the beer!) Who know if it will be "forever" (hard to imagine leaving my homeland forever!) but it will be permanent "for now".

Lawrence

Bigtyme
10-26-2012, 05:26 PM
That sounds like a cool thing to do. My guess it was tough for your bride to leave her homeland as well....