PDA

View Full Version : Where to Get Additional Bits?

sundog2001
01-30-2007, 04:41 PM
I've read that you can't get bits from CarveWright at this time. Are these available from Sears? Can I use any "high quality" bits of the type listed in the owner's manual?

Malfunction
01-30-2007, 04:45 PM
call or email CW. they told me they have some bits in stock, and some are on order.

HandTurnedMaple
01-30-2007, 04:59 PM
http://www.carvewright.com/pricing.html

Dan-Woodman
01-30-2007, 07:46 PM
mOST ANY ROUTER BIT THAT HALFWAY RESEMBLES THE PICTURE WILL WORK. The machine measures the bit anyway.

HandTurnedMaple
01-30-2007, 08:38 PM
And will void the Sears warranty if it is found during repairs (bit gets jammed, or spins loose and embeds itself into something).

Milt
01-30-2007, 09:16 PM
HTM,
What part of the sears warranty would this void, using another bit in the machine?

Dan-Woodman
01-30-2007, 09:51 PM
dO YOU USE ONLY SEARS BITS IN YOUR SEARS HANDHELD ROUTER?
Router bits are router bits, whether there sears or whoever.
As long as there 1/4" or 1/2" shank. The later probably being better quality than sears.
Just make sure not to use bits with bearings on the bottom
Any plunge bit should work, just match it up somewhat close to the picture.
i HAVE USED A 3/4" CLASSICAL INSTEAD OF 1/2" CLASSICAL AS THE SOFTWARE INDICATES AND ALSO A 1/4" SPIRAL ENDMILL IN PLACE OF THE 1/8" SPIRAL ENDMILL FOR DRILLING 1/4" ADJUSTABLE SHELF HOLES AND NO PROBLEMS.

Aaron B
01-31-2007, 06:09 AM
I have used other bits as well. The CW people will tell you that every bit manufacturer is different, and they probably are, but I have use other brands in the ball/round nose and others. As long as they are secured properly there shouldn't be any problem.

The Bard
01-31-2007, 09:04 AM
ALL CAPS MAKE EYES GO BLEED!

HandTurnedMaple
01-31-2007, 09:12 AM
You can all argue with me, or read the inside cover of your owner's manual. :roll: Its that simple. Do what you want with your money, but be aware of the possible consequences.

The Bard
01-31-2007, 09:19 AM
I think we'd rather do what we want with YOUR money.

BoardSilly
01-31-2007, 10:28 AM
And will void the Sears warranty if it is found during repairs (bit gets jammed, or spins loose and embeds itself into something).

If opening the machine up to do self repairs doesn't void the warranty, I doubt the use of a router bit would.

HandTurnedMaple
01-31-2007, 04:14 PM
I think we'd rather do what we want with YOUR money.

I just spent $1700 on a CompuCarve. About all you can do with my money is buy a stick of Wrigleys. Not the whole pack, mind you, but one stick.

The Bard
01-31-2007, 05:41 PM
I'll split it with you! hehe

Milt
01-31-2007, 08:35 PM
HTM,
Is this the line you are referring to:
"Consumable materials are not subject to warranty, and include, but are not limited to the
flex shaft, cutting/routing bits, grit surface drive belts, and lubricants."?
Just wondering that if this isn't the line then what you are reading or referring to. Thanks again for your clear and concise answers.

HandTurnedMaple
01-31-2007, 10:25 PM
Next sentance down Milt: "Using the machine with unapproved cutting bit will void the warranty."

HighTechOkie
02-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Good deal, looks like that would only be in force for the BCT125-
Cutting Bit, as the rest are referred to a router or carving bits :).

I think CW would have the burden of proof that their bits are in some way significantly and materially different from the standard high speed tooling for shaping wood, and the use of a non compliant bit was the proximate cause of the machine failure. Since CW purchases their bits from someone else and just marks them up for resell, I doubt their bits are custom made.

Also, that is a standard disclaimer in almost all manuals for tools that have consumables. Just because its written, does not mean it can be enforced.

Rob

Jeff_Birt
02-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Guys I thik the jist of it is this. No manufacturer can forsee all the possible misuees of a product. At some point in time some fool will try to install a 4" shell mill or other really inappropriate type of bit. Their machine will get damaged (and or they will hurt themselves) and they will try to get CW to repair the machine (and or sue them) by saying , "It didn't say anything about it in the manual". I'm sure CW spent a lot of time finding bits that work well in the machine and have designed the software/firmware to work with these bits.

HandTurnedMaple
02-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Also, that is a standard disclaimer in almost all manuals for tools that have consumables. Just because its written, does not mean it can be enforced.

Rob

Again, its your choice if you want to risk a $2000 machine over a $20 bit. But don't get mad at CW or Sears if it all goes wrong.

HighTechOkie
02-01-2007, 01:15 PM
For those of use that bought a Craftsman Compucarve, it is only reasonable for us as consumers to believe that Craftsman bits would work in a Craftsman machine.

Rob

Jeff_Birt
02-01-2007, 01:47 PM
No, that is NOT reasonable my friend, your logic is faulty. I have a 10" Craftsman table saw. I can use a reasonable selection of both Craftsman and non-Craftsman 10" saw blades. I cannot use a 12" blade no matter what the brand. The tooling HAS to fit the machine (not just physically).