PDA

View Full Version : FCC Cable...I am beginning to dislike my machine...

jdlink01
10-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Hey guys.
I have 116 hours on my machine. So far I have had to replace the following...One flex shaft (Bought a replacement that came unglued at the motor after about 30 mins of use), X drive gears,1/8 cutting bit (which LHR sent quick change and I needed the other ones) and a cover switch. I now need to replace the board sensor (I removed it and cleaned it out to find that part of the plastic surrounding the little clear plastic piece was broken off along with the side of one of the screw holes), and this morning I discovered my FCC wire was pulled away from the Z truck!!! I only found this after I put in the new cover switch and it was not working. Is this normal?!!! I have a B.S. degree in industrial design, I went to school to design products like this! If this is normal for these machines, its a horrible design. I guess I am only complaining here, but for what we pay for these machines, I would have expected it to be slightly more resilient. I have my machine permanently mounted to a workbench. I do not move my machine at all, but it has been broken more in the past 3 months than It has been working. I maintain the machine almost religiously, mostly because you have to! I sweep out the bottom and lightly blow out the sensors after each project. But it is rare that I am able to do several projects in a row since things keep breaking.

What can I do to keep this thing running longer? Am I doing something wrong? Please Help!!!

The last two frustrating issues are,first, that LHR is Central time and I am Eastern Time, and I get up early. And second, the biggest issue, my wife does not understand it is a complicated machine with many moving parts, and she thinks it should be like the toaster and work everytime. I tried to explain it to her, but she is angry at the original purchase to start with. I explained that most parts are still under warranty, but like her, I am wondering what this is going to cost me when the warranty is up in the next 84 hours!

Ultimately, I DO NOT want to send the machine back. I have created a lot of really awesome projects, and I am happy with the results WHEN THE DAMN THING IS WORKING. It is just that those times are few and far between. I have also taken orders for some projects that people are waiting for.

Is there somewhere I can get the replacement cables and sensors instead of going through LHR? It takes almost 2 weeks to get anything that comes from TEXAS!

Sorry for the rant guys, I just needed to get it out there! Anybody that can help its appreciated!

Josh

DickB
10-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Your experience is not unique. In my opinion, there are some weak points in the design that could have or could be improved upon. You may be able to fix rather than replace some of the things that you described. I had the same problem with the board sensor, but rather than replace it with an equally weak part, I resued the broken sensor by fabricating a bracket that will probably last the life of the machine, or me, whichever comes first: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?16894-board-sensor-not-reading&p=143039#post143039 I also had the flex shaft sheath pull away from the plastic end at the cut motor, and I glued it back with silicone sealer after roughing up the sheath end with sandpaper. Then I added a cable clamp over the sheath and fastened it to the head with an existing screw (sorry no photo) to give it more support and prevent it from pulling away from the cut motor even if the glue were to fail.

As far as spare parts, many will have to come from LHR but some replacements can be found. The cover switch is a common part and can be ordered from electronics distributors. Mine failed after a couple weeks, and the replacement from LHR also failed shortly after I installed it. The original switch was not a sealed design, so I replaced it with a sealed switch: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?14244-CW-Exorcism-Close-Cover-Board-Sensor&p=119125#post119125 I have had no issues since. Another example IMHO of a part that could have been designed better.

fwharris
10-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Josh,

Sorry to hear you are having some issues with your new machine. Does not make for a fun carving experience for sure.

On the FCC cable, it is possible that you might have bumped/moved it while you were working on the machine. If it is not damaged you can apply a small amount of RTV sealant (or any other type of caulking) to the edge at the connector to help hold it in place.

I had a fellow carve who had his flex shaft pull out as yours did. We just epoxied it back together and as far as I know it is still holding up.

Digitalwoodshop
10-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Josh,

Sorry you are having trouble with the machine. I like your website and it looks like your Business has developed around the machine. This is a GOOD THING... Bolting the machine to your bench is a Good Thing but you should be able to clean out the bottom of the machine from time to time as sawdust will build up around the Power Supply and Gears. So plan a inspection and cleaning SOON...

This is a Hobby Machine. Yes, some things can be improved upon. Many have been able to work with the Quirks of the machine and keep the frustration to a minimum. LHR is the best source for parts. Since you are using the machine as a Business then you should know that all the parts and the machine along with the material are TAX advantages. Most deduct the machine value over 5 years. Enough on the Tax Stuff...

First, the FSC Cable is a Consumable in MY opinion. It is simply a very thin sheet of copper with plastic on both sides cut in little strips. IF you flex a piece of solid copper wire in your hand like house wire, it will turn color and eventually snap... The Very same can happen with your FSC Cable. You joined in July 2012 so I would guess you have a newer machine since you mentioned Warranty.

Do you have a CarveTite Chuck or a QC? IF you have a QC then a quick inspection of your Bit Holders and if you see any BB Marks know that at high speed the Bit Holder is flopping Around and the vibration acts like the Vibration Cutting Saws. THIS is the Source of a BROKEN Board Sensor. A Rock Chuck or a CarveTite will fix that problem. a GREAT investment.... IF you go back 2 years or more on the Forum when QC's were failing left and right and FRUGAL guys like myself waited to change them, Just ONE more Project.... That Vibration destroyed 2 L2 Coil on My machines and 3 out of 4 C1 Capacitors on the X Termination Board along with a handful of Board Sensors...

There is a black cap that the FSC Cable goes into on the top at the Z Motor. I once left that OFF and the result was a sagging FSC Cable that Snagged the Cooling Fins of the Y Motor and pulled out under power and SMOKED a Z Motor.... So 1. you always need that black cap as it supports the cable and 2. Just a 1 inch strip of masking tape draped over the plastic cap where the FSC cable comes out is much better than RTV. It works well and is easier to get the cable off without damage.

Dust collection... Highly Recommended.... I like the RingNeckBlues myself as that is what I use.

With the Holiday Season on the way.... You already know WHAT the machine CAN DO.... As I see many GREAT Projects... A option for you is to get a 2nd machine.... I have 4.... Overkill but all were purchased a few years ago, the first new and 3 used for about $500.00 each, 2 of 3 were broken. Since you are getting very familiar with the machine maintenance then a $400.00 USED machine might just be the ticket you need to keep the production going....

As for your Broken Flex Shaft... Not much you can do about that.... It is very rare that it happens....

X Gear... Well, that is usually Pilot Error, a jammed board, a Tapered Board, right side guide too close, Sawdust Buildup. The X Gear is designed to SNAP when a Jam is not stopped with a X Stall. A CHEAP Insurance... Cost something like $14.00 or so.... Good to have a few on hand since you are complaining about 2 weeks from LHR... And Combined Shipping is GOOD too.... IF the Gear was Heavier... Then a Un Controlled Jam would work itself up the the next weakest component... a $100.00 + Z Motor.... OR a $300.00 + Computer with the Internal X Drive... So since you have a Design Background, what would you say about a Broken Gear Safety Device.... It's like a Mechanical FUSE.... IF we all wrapped blown Fuses in Aluminum Foil as it was in convenient that it blew... We would pay for it later.... So you must admit... It is a pretty GREAT DESIGN....

There is a 250 Hour Maintenance Post that I made a few months ago, I suggest you read it.... And plan for a 250 Hour Maintenance Window on your machine... Cleaning and Lubrication....

Have New Cut Motor Brushes, a spare Y Gear box set of 5 mm x 11 mm x 5 mm bearings, and even a extra Gear and Shaft for the Y drive.... Always have extra Board Sensors and FSC Cables....

So that is my take on your machine issues.... You have gotten through a Flex Shaft problem that is not the NORM... But everything else is Normal in MY opinion... As for the 1/8 inch bit, we have all broken them.... Usually a Pilot Error... IF the Brass Roller looses contact with the bottom of the board the machine is able to move a 12 foot board can easily snap a bit... A Bad QC will let a bit flop around inside a deep cut and snap... And most common Pilot Error with a broken 1/8 bit is the board only being held FLAT to the Sand Paper Belts by ONE Roller letting the board TIP UP.... I am sure you have looked over Tips and Tricks.... Lots of GOOD Pilot Error stuff that will help keep your Wife Happy as you produce project after project....

As for the QC IF you are using one... Find BB Marks you MUST replace ALL Bit holders and the QC... Just change a QC or Just a Bit holder... The BAD WORN part will FLOP AROUND and a new QC will be WORN OUT in a little as one project.... A CT or ROCK is the REAL ANSWER.... Ends the QC FLOPPING Problem...

My Machines pay for themselves every YEAR.... Yours can too.... and you will impress your WIFE....

Good Luck,

AL

kroskam
10-09-2012, 08:22 AM
I bought my "A" Model Machine used from a guy that only put 17 hours on the odometer, but kept the machine stored in his garage for years. I also got the complete set of bits and the case. When I got it I immediately did a thorough cleaning and lube before I carved anything. After I put about 25 hours on it my door switch went bad, and I got the replacement part cheap from Sears Parts. P007-00006 is the door switch, and P007-00007 is the cut motor switch. Sears was fast and cheaper than LHR. They had most all of the parts in their database. My machine is a Craftsman not a Carvewright, but the parts are all interchangeable. My machine has the Quick Change Chuck and I would like to upgrade to a Rock or Carvetight but don't want the expense, and do not want to buy new bits. I could not believe the amount of sawdust that accumulates during carving, and that the machine supposedly can tolerate the dust. I think dust is what causes most of the problems, so I bought the Dust Devil Collector and am satisfied with the result. This forum is awesome!! Without the help of the people that contribute to this forum I would have been lost when my door switch went bad. Josh just hang in there. With readily available parts, and this forum you can troubleshoot and fix almost everything that can go wrong.

jdlink01
10-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Guys,
Good Morning! Let me start out today by saying Thank You, and a quick apology for my short rant yesterday. After rereading my post i realized it was sort of whiny, but at the time I was about to tie the machine to the back of my Silverado and see if it survived to the end of the block. But that was yesterday, and today is a new day.

I contacted LHR yesterday, ordered a new Z motor mount electronics board assembly. Just in case mine is fried. I had tech support tell me about the silicone and the FCC ribbon. I tried that, now the entire head assembly will move along the Y axis to a point then stop and give a close cover message a few times. After hitting enter a few times it will then show a Z axis stall error. I have one of the tech support guys trying to figure it out. I am hoping he calls me back today.

Al, thanks for checking out my website. I don't have all of my projects posted on there just yet but I am getting there, so check back! I am not officially a business yet, I am still in Hobby mode. I started by just wanting to secure a domain name and it snowballed into the website.

I have my machine screwed to the top of a work bench. I screwed it so it will not walk itself off of the top of the work bench, and so I can get at the bottom of it to sweep it out periodically.

I am thinking about purchasing a new FCC ribbon just in case that may be the problem.

I have the CarveTite System, I think. I have the one that you use the T handle allen wrench to tighten down the bits. I passed on the Quick Change system when I got my machine, because it was too expensive. Maybe that was a good decision!

I kept the black plastic cap the FCC Ribbon goes into, and siliconed it to that cap. It seemed important so I really didnt mess with it too much, other than unscrewing it to put the ribbon through before plugging it back into the circuit board.

I have the RingNeckBlues Dust collection, but I have not installed it yet. I will be doing that as soon as my machine is running again.

I do not know how suggesting purchasing ANOTHER machine would go over right now. I would like to know where I can find a $500 machine. I told my wife yesterday that by this time next year I would be able to tear apart the machine and rebuild it in my sleep.

Thanks for the help!
Josh

jdlink01
10-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Here is my latest, almost finished project...Just needs clear coat and hardware.563735637256371

chebytrk
10-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Awesome project! Yup,... you just have to "hang tuff" for now cause you're making some good stuff. Like you said, soon you'll be able to knock this thing out in your sleep. Also, with this Forum... you can't go wrong. Wayyyyy too many people willing to help troubleshoot. I don't think I know of any place that has a troubleshooting team as big as the one we have here! Hang tough amigo! FYI... I found me a 2d machine for $400 and all it needed was cleaning out all of the sawdust. Runs like a charm ever since I cleaned it. Now I have a "backup" when needed.

jdlink01
10-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Where are you guys finding these cheap machines?

lynnfrwd
10-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Josh, I can't load the photos. Try uploading at a lower resolution.

I finally was patient enough for them to load.

WOW...WOW...WOW! Love it.

You need to submit something like that as a Project on the Pattern Depot!

chebytrk
10-09-2012, 10:34 AM
I kinda just fell in to my 2 machine. Someone was on this forum and was very frustrated and gave up. I happened to jump on it at the right time. I've seen some on Craigslist for $500 (older Compucarve.. A model) machines, but those are fine too. The one I got for $400 was a "A" model and I just upgraded it one bit at a time although it worked fine after I cleaned it up. I had an ol' Rock Chuck that I put in it and then upgraded the Z truck later. I think if you keep an eye out on Craigs list (and even on this forum) you'll run in to something I'm sure.

Where are you guys finding these cheap machines?

lynnfrwd
10-09-2012, 10:36 AM
There's one on here right now that just dropped to $400. Got CarveTight already! Grab it!

fwharris
10-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Josh,

Do not feel to bad about your rant, believe me we all have done a little bit of that our selves at one time or another.

On your close cover issue, when you get this error message try reaching with your fingers in the top slot of the cover and pressing on the cover switch. If the error goes away it might be that the switch is a bit out of alignment with the cover. There is a small amount of adjustment you can make to move the switch to move it forward to make better contact with the small tab on the clear cover. Also look to make sure the flex shaft is not rubbing on any area of the cover as it moves across the machine.

It is a good idea to have an extra FCC cable just in case. Also get a set of motor brushes and Y/Z roller bearings.

AND get the DC-INSERT installed as soon as you can!!

jdlink01
10-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Where can I find said machine?

lynnfrwd
10-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Here on the forum under the BUY - SELL - TRADE section.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?21599-2007-Craftsman-Compucarve-Machine-for-sale.

jdlink01
10-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Thanks, but right now I think if I bought another machine I may be looking for a new home instead!...Thanks!

Digitalwoodshop
10-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Keep all your Receipts for the machine, parts and Software... At some point when you go from a Hobby to a small business you can then bring into the business the Equipment you will be using. I purchased some Laser Engravers before officially starting my business because of a start up delay as I moved home from Philly as Sony Closed unexpectedly. I was almost setup to work out of a spare bedroom in Philly but had to build a shop here in Pike County not too far from you. I use H&R Block to keep the IRS happy and have had great advice over the years. In PA if you start a small business out of your House or Garage that is "Attached" to your house you can get up and running pretty easy. BUT... Start a business in a Building on your property NOT attached to your house.... Then you need to go through Zoning.... At least 2 ways... Full Blown Business.... Handicap Parking, Access, Penn DOT OK to access the Street and SO much more.... OR go "LOW Impact"... For me... NO Water, NO Septic, No Street Sign, NO Customers to the Shop, NO Showroom, NO 18 Wheel Trucks.... UPS and FedEx small trucks OK.... That worked for ME.... Easily approved... and works for me.... 95% of my Business comes from my 3 Websites... and Locally, I GO to the Customer or Ship it...

My machine made me almost $20K in Gross Sales last year... My 5th year in Business....

Good Luck,

AL

jdlink01
10-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Al,
Thanks for the advice. Your knowledge is priceless. Currently I'm on the phone with Joseph at JHR. Between him, engineering, and me we are trying to get this gremlin figured out. I am hoping to go full blown business. My hope is that I can do everything from my basement now, and somewhere in the back yard when we build our new home.
But for now, I need to think short term...LETS GET THIS THING RUNNING AGAIN!!!

Thanks,
Josh