PDA

View Full Version : Need information on making a pattern like this.....

SharonB
10-06-2012, 01:01 AM
I would like to make a pattern something like the attached photo. I have the 2-3D programs but haven't used them enough
to get a decent pattern. I can get the outline, use the puffing tool but can't figure out how to put a face on the tomato.
Any ideas on how to accomplish it would be greatly appreciated.

mtylerfl
10-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Hi Sharon,

I would probably just create recessed ovals for the "eye whites" then raised ovals for the iris's. The eyebrows could be just be a couple vectors with a v-bit assignment, or you could draw a closed shape and recess it so the carving bit would carve the brows if you want to keep it simple. The lower lip would be a raised shape, as well as the cheeks. The mouth would be a slightly recessed area. I probably would not model the white upside-down teardrop shape...might look like it's a wart or something (however, you could paint that on and would look fine). I hope that helps!

Alan Malmstrom
10-06-2012, 10:48 AM
You might be able to draw shapes with the spline tool then give them a puffing feature and then give each shape a [Carving] merge style [addative or subtractive]. Then you would have to play around with the heights and depths.

Heres a smiley face I made by doing this:

Alan

mtylerfl
10-06-2012, 12:26 PM
You might be able to draw shapes with the spline tool then give them a puffing feature and then give each shape a [Carving] merge style [addative or subtractive]. Then you would have to play around with the heights and depths...

Alan

Yep, that's how the modeling tools work. :)

SharonB
10-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Alan, your example was kind of what I was looking for. I was brain dead last night when trying to design this....I totally forgot to use the Merge. Now it's back to work and see what I can come up with. Thanks.

Alan Malmstrom
10-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Being able to add in some vector lines with a selected depth profile is a nice feature. It can also be turned into a pattern by grouping all and then right clicking the group and choosing Make Pattern. Thats a nice way to make carved out areas carve without having to put in a bit while carving.

Learned that from Joe at the CNC Jamboree.

Alan

eelamb
10-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Sharon perhaps this will give you some ideas.

SharonB
10-07-2012, 01:44 AM
Eddie...now that is the results that I'm trying to accomplish. I will have to keep trying. I can't seem to get the recessed mouth. I made my stem and tomato as two separate pieces and the lines of the tomato shows though the stem.

Alan...I haven't used the depth profile all that much but I think I'll try it on the eye brows and see what happens. Hopefullly I can come out with something half way good before I pull all my hair out.

easybuilt
10-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Awesome detail Eddie, you are very creative.

b.sumner47
10-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Eddie, Has anyone told you, that you make cute tomatoes ? Nice work, my friend.

Capt Barry

eelamb
10-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Thanks Tom and Barry, I will post the tomato smile pattern on the site later this week.

TerryT
10-07-2012, 06:03 PM
That is a great job Eddie!

eelamb
10-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks Terry. Sharon that is why I posted it, to give you ideas on how it may look. If I were to post this anywhere I would redo it from scratch. Did not like how the mouth came out. It could be much crisper on the edges.

Sharon if you want it, here is the AI file I made to make the pattern. Just un-zip the file.

SharonB
10-07-2012, 09:56 PM
56334Ok...here is what I've come up with so far. Certainly nothing to brag about but it's a learning experience. This is not the end produce that's for sure. I need to figure out how to get rid of the line going through the stem part.
Eddie I will look over your "smile" later this evening, plus I did send you a PM.

easybuilt
10-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Very nice Sharon! Now you are getting the hang of it and it is so much fun!

eelamb
10-08-2012, 06:49 AM
Very nice Sharon, I see I missed something on mine, (a nose :)).

GrammaPam
10-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Very good Sharon,
I have been traveling and just now saw your post. Don't have any Design er or graphics programs on this computer. I would so much have liked to help.
Pam