PDA

View Full Version : Setting depth in centerline text

bobalou
10-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Maybe someone here can help. This is a great forum with a lot of helpful members. I do a lot of centerline text carving and I'm only able to go to select bit and then for example, select a 90*V GROOVE bit but don't have the option to select a depth measurement in that window. The area to add a measurement is there but click on it but nada. The program used to carve almost a 1/2 inch deep but now only 1/4" deep. Not sure why. I thought that when I updated to 1.185 it changed a few things and maybe something happened with that. I uninstalled 1.185 and reinstalled it but no change. Please anyone got an idea what to do?

DickB
10-04-2012, 08:26 PM
You don't set the depth with centerline. The software computes the depth needed to get the required width of the character at any particular point. Think about it - it's basic trigonometry. To get a 1/4" width line on a character the 90 degree bit needs to be 1/8" deep. To get 1/2" wide, it needs to be 1/4" deep. If you were able to specify a fixed depth, the width of the line cut would be constant - not what you need for most fonts.

You can get more depth by using the 60 degree bit for the same size and font character.

fwharris
10-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Dick is correct in that you can not make a depth setting with centerline.

Your problems sounds like it is more related to how the machine is measuring the bit length and your board surface. Does the bit come down all of the way and does the bit plate swing out all of the way during the bit measure and touch routine? Where does the bit touch the board? Are you carving this on the board surface or in a carved region or pattern?

bobalou
10-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Hi fwharris, Im carving just on the board itself no region. The bit to bit plate is working properly. The bit doesnt touch the board it goes down right off the edge and goes down to (looks like the bottom plane of board and top plane of board. Always did.

bobalou
10-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Can I use a 7/8 inch bit on this machine?

mtylerfl
10-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Can I use a 7/8 inch bit on this machine?

You can - at your own risk. The programming is optimized only for the bits approved by CarveWright...feed and speed rates are calibrated for those bits and not others. Doesn't mean other bits won't work, but understand if something breaks, it's on your dime. :)

Digitalwoodshop
10-04-2012, 09:21 PM
I am going to approach this in a whole different direction.... Lets say the machine is doing the Mechanical thing with the Bit just fine as I suspect it IS.... I do allot of Centerline... I offer many fonts or type sets.

I suspect the FONT you have been choosing is now DIFFERENT than a project in the past where you cut deeper text.... Just look at Ariel Bold a DEEP Font I use OFTEN and Ariel NARROW.... Just Select BOLD for the Arial Narrow and you can make it cut DEEPER.... So what I really think is that your choice of fonts and the ability for that font to have BOLD turned on will give you what you need.

I have this Corel Draw File that I use Find and Replace to quickly give my customer many font choices for a future sign. By saving it as a PDF the customer will see the correct font even if they do not have it loaded on their computer.

Try to pick a font that you CAN BOLD for a deeper cut... Since you say the Font cut DEEPER before, any chance you turned OFF BOLD NOW?

That is all you can do....

I have designed projects with Centerline and a V90 Bit. Then loaded a V60... The Result is a "I" will have a "Y" looking TOP of the letter and bottom. So be careful with swapping bits.

The File attached is a PDF and may not open for you. I sent this to a sign customer tonight that is looking for a sign. I also wanted to see if I could make a PDF work and make some common Troubleshooting PDF's with the Pictures that I post a few times a month on a reguar basis... L2 Power Supply, X Termination Board C1, Y Gear Box. Might work....

AL

bobalou
10-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Hi Al, I always use Georgia font and bold on this machine for 2 years now. Not sure why the change but I a new machine about 2 months ago as a spare so this week some time I'm going to run this project on it and see if there is a difference.
I do have another program of different fonts ,maybe I'll try another. Thanks for the help.
Bob

bobalou
10-04-2012, 10:45 PM
563010563025630356304Here are a few things that I've made with my machine. Those are ice chest Saints and Marine Corp

badbert
10-05-2012, 03:13 AM
You are ROCKIN' bobalou! Nice projects! How did you do the corner carves?

bobalou
10-05-2012, 07:29 AM
Hi Badbert, the corners are done by taking 2 pieces of wood 3-1/4 wide ( ofcourse you can use any size ) I biscuit them together with 2 biscuits one around each end somewhere where it won't be in the way of the carving (don't glue them, it'll b snug enough to hold them in place once in the machine) . Then I do my carving and after I take them out of the CV , I pull the pieces apart and 45 degree the edge that the carving is on and glue them together and bingo , it's done. Happy carving.

mtylerfl
10-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Here are a few things that I've made with my machine. Those are ice chest Saints and Marine Corp

Very nice projects! All are excellent!

chebytrk
10-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Very nice pics ! Here are a few of a person that makes Ice Chests in this area. Notice the water spickett water drain on the side. Yo Michael ............ Is that a POM idea or what? Talk about cool!

lawrence
10-05-2012, 06:42 PM
I did a quick "how to" on how to mimic centerline text with coreldraw and the dxf importer if you have them- the instructions are here

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?17915-CorelDraw-DXF-Conforming-Vectors-ability-to-mimic-centerline-text-with-bit-depth&highlight=centerline+coreldraw

Hope this helps,
Lawrence

easybuilt
10-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Beautiful projects and I love the gold paint.

bobalou
10-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Hi Jerry, Those are nice.5633156332This is the way I hide the drain plug. Cleaner look and more cost effective. Do you know what they get for those? I guess they are in Texas right?

bobalou
10-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Hi Easybuilt, The gold is made by "ONE SHOT" sign painters enamel. It actually has 18K gold dust in it ,lil pricey but well worth it. When the sun hits it it's brilliant. Very nice and dries in just 3 to 4 hours. Thanks for the props on my projects

easybuilt
10-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Thank you for the information bobalou, I think I will give it a try.