PDA

View Full Version : Outline and Clean up issues

BMURPH8
10-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Hello All, I'Ve had my carvewright since the end of August and I havent had any major issues starting up and finding my way around the machine and software, thanks mostly to this forum. I havent had a need to post until now, every answer that I've needed has been either on the tips and tricks, or somewhere here.

I have a pretty extensive background in metal working with large and small CNC's and I think the mentality and experience have made it easier to transition into the woodworking side.

My current issue though is with the attached project, I would like the Carvewright to cut out the the perimeter of this sign so that there is about a 3/8" border all around, but as you can see the outline is terrible. I accomplished it by taking a coping saw and cutting it myself, and sanding the rough sides on a drum sander to the finish size, this took a bunch of time that I dont have. There was also a bunch of clean up in and around the sign because I dont have the pattern editing software yet (no $$$).

What I did was designed the sign in AutoCAD, converted that to a JPEG so that Paint would convert the sections to simple colors, but still the carvewright software picks up rouge pixels.

I was hoping someone here could take a look and let me know what colors would be best to start with, and if they could repair the perimeter cutout. I plan on making a couple more as X-Mas gifts for my family.

mtylerfl
10-03-2012, 12:26 PM
The only way to get really clean outlines is to keep them as vectors (NOT a bitmap graphic like a jpg especially).

You can do this two ways...

1) Draw your vectors directly in the Designer software, or...

2) Save your AutoCAD vectors as DXF and import them into Designer using the CarveWright DXF Importer. I think this is your best option. I often create accurate vector drawings using third-party software (CorelDRAW mostly), then export those vectors as DXF 'flavor' AutoCAD 2004 which seems to work flawlessly when importing via the CarveWright DXF Importer. I know you said you had no $$$, but save up - you will find the investment well worth it!

BMURPH8
10-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Thanks soooo much for taking the time to write me back.

So if you had to choose between the DXF converter, the STL converter (I also have 3D modeling software) or the Pattern Editor, which would you say has the most bang for the buck?

lynnfrwd
10-03-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm going to throw a fourth option in there....2d Vector Drawing Suite.

mtylerfl
10-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Thanks soooo much for taking the time to write me back.

So if you had to choose between the DXF converter, the STL converter (I also have 3D modeling software) or the Pattern Editor, which would you say has the most bang for the buck?

That soley depends on what your priorities are..

1) Transfer vector drawings into Designer from CAD or other drawing programs....get the DXF Importer

2) Convert STL models into PTN for Designer ...get the STL Importer

3) Edit your own PTN files, edit scanning probe files (MPW)...get the Pattern Editor NOTE: If you own BOTH the STL Importer AND the Pattern Editor, you can export PTN files as STL for editing in your 3D modeling software...the BEST way to get the Pattern Editor is go ahead and buy the Scanning Probe - the Pattern Editor is included in the package!

4) Trace over bitmap graphics and/or draw 'freehand' vectors within Designer...get the CarveWright 2D Drawing Suite

5) Create your own models/PTN dimensional reliefs within Designer...get the CarveWright 3D Modeling Suite

6) Ability to do anything you want...get everything listed above, plus the Conform Vector and the Centerline add-ons