PDA

View Full Version : Designing the project, Confused?

Kmbzak
10-02-2012, 07:31 PM
I just got my carvewright setup and I have a few questions. I have looked through all the post and I still can't grasp it. When I create a project in designer do I select the board size of the project and add to it the 7 inches to the lenght and the 3 inches to the height, OR do I just make it the size I want and put in a board with the added size on it. When I down load the project to the card, it tells me about how much waste it going to be on the board??? I am going to cut two project this Thursday for my sisters wedding Anniversary and it is 7 x 10. What should the board setting be set at and what should the actual board be.

Thanks
Ken

RogerB
10-02-2012, 08:24 PM
I make pattern to size .Then add 4 inch. to each end and 1 1/2 to each side you do not add to the height .This keeps it under the rollers and away from cutting the sides to close .

Happy Carving

dbfletcher
10-02-2012, 08:30 PM
I make pattern to size .Then add 4 inch. to each end and 1 1/2 to each side you do not add to the height .This keeps it under the rollers and away from cutting the sides to close .

Happy Carving

1.5" to each side?? I guess I must have been sleeping when that got changed. I always thought it was .5 inch on both sides to be safe... but I run several with .3 and been ok. You really just want to miss the brass roller (although the machine will adjust for that anyways and never hit the roller) and leave enough wood on both sides so the rollers don't drop.

fwharris
10-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Not sure if you have read any of the tips and tricks newsletters or not but here is a link to them http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/learn/tips.php
Some include pre designed projects to give you an idea on designing and laying out your project.

This is another link to the learning center project designing http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/learn/designertutorials.php

Kmbzak
10-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks, When you load it in the machine it is larger then what you setup in the software then. The machine will then measure it. Is this correct, I have been trying to make it to size and it wants to rescale it.

Thanks again
Ken

AskBud
10-02-2012, 08:35 PM
I just got my CarveWright setup and I have a few questions. I have looked through all the post and I still can't grasp it. When I create a project in designer do I select the board size of the project and add to it the 7 inches to the length and the 3 inches to the height, OR do I just make it the size I want and put in a board with the added size on it. When I down load the project to the card, it tells me about how much waste it going to be on the board??? I am going to cut two project this Thursday for my sisters wedding Anniversary and it is 7 x 10. What should the board setting be set at and what should the actual board be.

Thanks
KenYou seem to be on a short time-line for this project!

My way is to make the design to match the actual board (not counting the extra 7 or 8 inches of length). This way I can see the way my design will fit the board. I know I want most designs to be at least 1/2 inch from the keyboard side, to allow for a protective rail which the pressure roller needs. The width may be exact, which usually works well.

Your design thickness should be the same as your actual board. I'm not sure where you came up with the 3 inches of height!

If you had time, the first two lessons here http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/learn/designertutorials.php
would be very good to work with prior to doing your special gift.
AskBud

Kmbzak
10-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Thanks, I have been watching and reading all the forums and even now I hear 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches from the top. But I think with what you are saying makes sense to me now. So create it to size then add 7 to 8 inches when loading the board and 1/2 to 1 1/2 above the rollers. I think I have it.

Thanks again

DickB
10-03-2012, 06:33 AM
I think you will find that eventually you will want to use a sled for your projects to avoid 7" of wasted board. There is a Tips on that subject too.

CNC Carver
10-03-2012, 06:51 AM
only add 7-8" in length and at least .5 from edges not height. You do not want the rollers to dropp while going down your project.

Thanks, I have been watching and reading all the forums and even now I hear 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches from the top. But I think with what you are saying makes sense to me now. So create it to size then add 7 to 8 inches when loading the board and 1/2 to 1 1/2 above the rollers. I think I have it.

Thanks again