PDA

View Full Version : y-stall and then z-axis error

dcozort
01-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Hey all I was carving a board and the bit plundged all the way through the wood about half way through the carve..... I had already carved one about an hour before this came out perfect ...same wood all sides square ECT.ECT. So I power cleared.... changed the project a little (Made it shorter since the last carve ruined the 66" piece) and tried again. On this carve the machine went through all its cycles fine and then started to carve and in a blink of and eye it drove the bit all the way through a 7/8" board and the truck returned to its position and left the bit stuck in the wood.... I searched for fixes did'nt see anything quite like this.. I need help.. My firmware is version 1.115 and my memory card can only hold one project at a time.. I don't think that this has anything to do with the carving operation since the machine carved ok prior to this but it is a nuisance... My machine was one of the very first to come from sears.... Carvewright please respond...

Jeff_Birt
01-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Have you tried a project that worked good before? This would eliminate your new project form being the culprit.

dcozort
01-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Jeff I don't believe it is the project all I did was to change a board setting after the first error... Then I ran a new project it then slammed the bit into the board as you see above I did notice you said something about updating to firmware 1.117 in a pervious post.... Is this something we all need to do... all I see is version 1.115 Dennis P.S. you also said something about sharp or someone supplying bad equipment to the first sears machines......causing axis errors and skipping.... If you'll notice from the picture the bit started to work its self down on each pass until it went through the board... I was not on top of it when it happened but I heard a loud noise coming from machine and went to check... To late.....

menewfy
01-30-2007, 02:00 PM
it sounds like what my machine did but the very opposite.

what i mean is mine was carving and it kept working higher and higher even though it was supposed to be all the same depth so after talking to CW it turned out it was an encoding issue. if you contact CW they can tell you what is needed.

good luck
tim

Jeff_Birt
01-30-2007, 02:50 PM
dcozort, It way well be a Z-axis encoder problem. I had to change mine out when it dove in a similar fasion and broke a gear. I was asking about the project file on the chance that Designer did somethign funny when it complied the file. I've also chosen a wrong board depth and had it dive too far into the wood.

dcozort
01-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Jeff I'll go back and check depth's and sizes and upload one more time... Be back in a minute.....Dennis P.S. What about that question on current firmware 1.115 or 1.117 ???????

dcozort
01-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Well Jeff this time the machine went through all its measurements and started to carve and plunged right through the board..... I think I'm going to throw my hat in........ Tried to call carvewright and not only can you not speak to anyone but all the mail boxes are full as they were yesterday and friday so its difficult to get on a call list when you can't place a message... This machine has 10 hours on it .... I truly don't mind fixing these problems even though I really shouldn't have to... This forum is great but it seems to becoming more of a repair place than ideal sharing discussion.... These problems most of us are having are not the inability to use software or design a project or put straight wood in a machine... These are mechanical issues.... I'm starting to really have questions about things like the ribbon cable coming out due to a silcone that is inadquate to hold it in place..... Did this not show itself during beta testing... My whole machine has this stuff all over the connections and guys are constantly reporting wires are viberating out... We all know reading this forum thats just a start.. PLease don't misunderstand me I love this machine or I should say the ideal.. My love for the maintance is growing smaller by the day... My advice to anyone that gets theirs in the furture is take the cover off and glue the ribbon cable in place and check all connections.. Blaming that on fed-ex or ups is not right... Furthermore when Carvewright tells people to fix things like the ribbon cables with stronger glue why is that not pass out in a ATTN: to all message... Beware this is a possiable problem... Does anyone out there know what I mean??? Please excuse my spelling... O.K. said what I need to say let the rath began....I'm not a pro you guys but I do take my woodworking serious....

Jeff_Birt
01-30-2007, 07:43 PM
I shure sounds like the now infamous loose ribbon cable/bad Z-axis encoder issue. I don't think it's a case of blaming the delivery guy, I think (according to one of the CW guys who frequents here) it a problem of the (contract) mfg not having the process down right.

I've been on both sides of this myself, having gotten a few bad products and sold a few. One thing I have learned is that good support is the key. Call CW and I bet they can get you fixed up.

dcozort
01-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Jeff I have checked the ribbon cable seems o.k. Did a sensor test my board sensor is now reading 45 instead of 114 like before but it measures the sides of the board fine... You posted on jan 6 about a plunge problem and you required a new z-axis motor and board I believe... you also stated the home flags were bent or offset... please explain exactly where the flags are at ... you said you fixed and replaced the home sensor behind the Z-truck where is this and how can I check it threw a sensor check or by removal to look for a broken gear like you did.... Please help I don't want to send my machine off.... Thanks Dennis

Jeff_Birt
01-30-2007, 08:56 PM
You should be able to raise/lower the Z-truck with slight resistance, there should be no 'catch'. A catch would signify a (most likely) broken gear. The home sensor is mounted right to the front of the Z-truck (black slotted thing with one screw). When the Z-truck goes up/down, the black flag ( "L" shaped piece of metal) will break the sensor beam and left the machine know exactly where this point is. From there the machine counts pulses from an encoder wheel mounted to the Z-Axis drive moter to keep track of it's positon. I'n my case the flag was bent and contacting the sensor (probably from a loose Z-truck).

dcozort
01-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Jeff is there a way to check the encoder wheel for damage or proper running or is that a carvewright issue???? Thanks, Dennis :idea:

Jeff_Birt
01-30-2007, 10:41 PM
The encoder check is as CW issue ( and encoder that miss pulses can be quite the pain in the butt to diagnose, and then at other times you find a machine that drives a tool through the workpiece :lol: ). They sent me out a Z-motor assembly, and I put it in myself, not hard if you are so inclined.