PDA

View Full Version : Sled Memory

badbert
10-01-2012, 06:40 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if the software had a sled mode? Something that would allow you to have your sled measurements saved in memory. This way the machine would not have to measure the sled each time you carve?

DickB
10-01-2012, 08:47 AM
On the other hand, if there is a brass roller or y-axis tracking issue, better to find out about it while measuring the sled rather than carving or cutting a project board.

bergerud
10-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if the software had a sled mode? Something that would allow you to have your sled measurements saved in memory. This way the machine would not have to measure the sled each time you carve?

The machine would still have to measure to find out "where" the sled is. On the other hand, if you do not remove the sled, the machine does remember. It may be an idea to have a fancy Lawrence like sled which stays in the machine.

CNC Carver
10-01-2012, 10:16 AM
I used a sled like Lawernce for carving 24 paddles and it was great to be able to remove paddle and insert next without removing sled from machine it would remember measurments. Made for reduced cut time on repeat carvings.

Digitalwoodshop
10-01-2012, 01:11 PM
IF you designed the project with a Template and used place on end it would go quick.... Are you using Center on board and measuring twice?

A board template with a bunch of rectangles and you place your art within the rectangles. So the machine only measures once.... Sounds like you are frustrated with measure time... You must have the sled idea down pat... Just change to place on end....

AL

liquidguitars
10-01-2012, 03:14 PM
I agree 100% but I use "place on corner"

badbert
10-01-2012, 10:46 PM
I used a sled like Lawernce for carving 24 paddles and it was great to be able to remove paddle and insert next without removing sled from machine it would remember measurments. Made for reduced cut time on repeat carvings. I do not understand... How do you get the sled out far enough to load, without removing it. If I could jog it out... I would never remove it!

CNC Carver
10-02-2012, 06:34 AM
My sled is 48" long 4" high and the paddle was postioned in a slot toward the end and held in by a screw pushing on the handle. I'll post a picture later. I only carved on the paddle so I had about 20" hanging out of the paddle that made it easy to slide out of slot and remove. I also chose the cut from corner rather than center function. I'm sure the picture will be better at explaining the process.

CNC Carver
10-03-2012, 07:10 AM
badbert here are the photo's of my sled.56258562595626056261 The last photo show the carvewright mounted to portable saw stand. Got it at Menards for around $50. http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/work-stands/portamate-miter-saw-stand/p-1649523-c-10164.htm. It looks like they are not carring it in all the stores now. But it works woderful at supporting long projects. I've done several around 8' long and 12" wide.

badbert
10-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Oh OK I gotcha now! Very creative! And I do like that stand!

eelamb
10-03-2012, 07:50 PM
A stand like that is available at Lowes, it is the Skill version. I have one for my miter saw. Looks like it would have a good use for the CW too.

RMarkey
10-04-2012, 04:21 PM
"Sled Memory" was one project I always wanted to do, but never had the time (I have a long list of unfinished firmware features).

My idea was that you could load a sled to the machine, which would carve a barcode to the keyboard edge of the sled. It would measure the sled and remember it. Next time you load the sled, it would use the board sensor to 'read' the barcode and pull up the dimensions.

SharonB
10-04-2012, 06:38 PM
That's the kind of sled I'd like to have.

badbert
10-04-2012, 08:23 PM
"Sled Memory" was one project I always wanted to do, but never had the time (I have a long list of unfinished firmware features).

My idea was that you could load a sled to the machine, which would carve a barcode to the keyboard edge of the sled. It would measure the sled and remember it. Next time you load the sled, it would use the board sensor to 'read' the barcode and pull up the dimensions. Thanks Metallus! That is exactly what I meant.