PDA

View Full Version : Zara Xtreme and Xara 3D

BobHill
01-30-2007, 12:32 PM
I've had a couple requests to give some idea as to how Xara can work for making a vector (to raster) image of a raster image which can be used in Designer, such as one can do in either CorelDraw and Adobe Illustrator. I've attached a very brief (and incomplete) basic idea of an Xara tutor in vector .

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Aaron B
01-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks for doing this Bob, even a little bit might help. I can't download the jpeg though.

BobHill
01-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Hi Aaron,

Did you also get that in your email? You should have. And I noticed that the Xara 3D logo JPEG didn't go either, so I've edited that message and added it here.

Bob

Aaron B
01-30-2007, 12:42 PM
To make the tracing (red lines) did you just use the free hand tool, or is there a line tool that I haven't seen in Xara.

Aaron B
01-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Hi Aaron,

Did you also get that in your email? You should have. And I noticed that the Xara 3D logo JPEG didn't go either, so I've edited that message and added it here.

Bob

Didn't get it in my email, your message came via private message here.

BobHill
01-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Yes, that's the email I meant ... it was a reply. And You use the PEN tool to make straight lines, not the freehand tool. Then you can use the Shape editor tool (Bezier tool) to make arcs etc. Click a Node (Point) with it and you'll get the arc handles for each side of the line. Wish Designer had this. you can do everything BUT have the double arc handles which allow for an "S" on the same between points line.

Bob

Aaron B
01-30-2007, 04:13 PM
When I do my outline it shades in the whole area with a color, I can't see the image anymore like you can where you traced the red.

BobHill
01-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Aaron,

That's because you have a color fill set as default. Just select the outline you jus tmade and click CrossHatch box on the left side of the bottom collor bar. This is a "transparency" color just like they have in CorelDraw. If you click it with the Left button, it's the Fill color. If you click it with the Right button, it's the line color. You can change the color of fill or outline at any time.

Also if you Control Page Down, whatever is selected will go behind whatever is now behind it. If you Control Page Up whatever is selected will go in front of what's now behind it (on same layer only, of course). Give that a try. If an item is completely behind something and you wish to select it, but can't click on any part of it, then click what's in front of it (which selects that) and then either move it behind (but remember it's still selected) and click top again and that's selected.

Another way is to ALT select and work your way front to rear with each click, but it'll go back to front, if you continue when the clicking more than there are selections below.

You, who are used to CorelDraw and have never used Xara before will see that many of the options and controls in Xara are the same for CorelDraw. Guess where CorelDraw got them? Yup, when they bought the rights to license Xara, they also bought many of Xara's ways of doing things.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Bob

Aaron B
01-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Granted this is simple as can be, but its a start. How did you get your lines thicker?

BobHill
01-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Aaron,

Each item (line tool, rectangle, elipse, shape) will start out with whatever default Line Weight has been set and it's the box to left of the Set View Quality scale and default at start is 1 pixel. Try 4pixel and see if that's heavy enough for you.

For options to most things, go to UTILITIES/OPTIONS, but also for better definitions, go to HELP/Xara Help/ and write in Options then browse.

Until you get a manual, HELP is a great one, but it takes a lot of time to find everything as you'll see, for there is so much to find.

Bob

RJB
02-18-2007, 07:35 AM
How many pages in the .PDF? My download has 6 pages the last three are blank. I tried multiple times with the same results.

BobHill
02-18-2007, 08:58 AM
RJB,

There are 40 pages in the PDF manual. Download it from http://www.carvewright.com/downloads.html and as long as you have a recent version of Adobe Acrobat Reader ( http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html ). Click on "Continue" then click on your Safety yellow "allow" line on "Windows Explorer" and then you'll get the Download option if you don't have latest version of Reader.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

RJB
02-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Sorry for not being specific. I meant the Xara tutorial not the user manual.

BobHill
02-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Sorry RJB, I should have known, it being an XARA thread.

What version of Xara do you have? What did it say about a manual. For instance, I have the new Xara Xtreme Pro and first it was downloaded and I received a key for full use and operation until the CD and printed Manual came in the mail (just a week ago, as a matter of fact). I purchased it in mid December, but it wasn't published yet, which was the delay, but they also said it would be until mid February before the manual and CD would be available. Until then, you have to use Xara Help and print items from there.

If you ordered Xara without the manual, it should be on the CD and if you have Xtreme it should be on the second disk. Acutally under the Manual Folder you should have multiple PDFs. Xtreme Pro has 26 pdf files and all are fully printable.

Bob

RJB
02-18-2007, 03:21 PM
The Pdf I'm refering to is "Xara Tutor.pdf. That you posted at the top of this thread. I'm only getting 3 of the 6 pages of the pdf. The last three pages are blank. I don't know if this is suppose to be this way or if I'm getting a bad file. I have trial download version. I'm still evaluating Xara.

Thanks

BobHill
02-18-2007, 03:32 PM
RJB,

I'd like to say that it's because I'm also watching the Daytona 500 (which I am), but I suspect it's more that I was having a "senior" moment by not going back far enough in the thread to really see what you are talking about. What you printed is actually the whole PDF file. When I made it, I added more blank pages than I needed to complete the tutoring, and I Saved it as a PDF without deleting the blanks. I should go back and correct that. Sorry about that ! :oops:

I just changed the PDF to be only the three pages as it should be.

Bob

DWD
02-18-2007, 05:49 PM
I just purchased and downloaded Xara Extreme and it included 3D6 due to a promotion. After 5 minutes it certainly looks like two things are going to happen. My carving potential has just been elevated tremendously and my learning curve is going to be great. There are so many features to look at and determine which will work the best. Thanks for you posts.

Dan

BobHill
02-18-2007, 06:33 PM
You saved yourself some money on that deal, Dan. I just saw that promotion myself. I have to pay extra for Xara 3D .. pretty nifty, isn't it ! :)

Bob

GeeJay
03-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Is anyone able to help? I bought Zara Xtreme and cannot register the XAR. or WEB files as it keeps telling me that I don't have administrators privileges?

I have done various designs and they have been blocked with error codes saying 'Failed to read XAR file' (830 0).:confused:

mtylerfl
03-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Is anyone able to help? I bought Zara Xtreme and cannot register the XAR. or WEB files as it keeps telling me that I don't have administrators privileges?

I have done various designs and they have been blocked with error codes saying 'Failed to read XAR file' (830 0).:confused:

I would suggest contacting their software Tech Support department.