PDA

View Full Version : Setting carve location by touching its Center

Capt Bruce
09-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Forumites,

I've searched using every term I can imagine but can't find a way to accomplish a desired trick. Perhaps you can help.

I'm doing repetitive carves on a piece fitted into the center of a sled. I'd like to be able to specify the carving location center by touching the bit to a mark centered (both ways) on the actual wood piece after it is mounted into the sled. Maybe it can't be done like this, but I thought I'd ask because the remounted part seems to move while being placed and secured and it's throwing off the alignment of the finished sides.

Please help me discover some trick that I've been missing. Thanks

bergerud
09-30-2012, 09:16 PM
I am not sure I understand what you are trying to do. I have done many a repeat carve on things like the trefoil knot and the sphere in a cube. I found the jog to center was not very accurate or repeatable. I experiment to find the x and y coordinates that accurately center the carve and then key them in each time instead of manually jogging. (It is important that I do not release the jig between carves.) It takes some time to get the numbers right, but then, I do a run of a dozen or so identical carves.

DickB
09-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Make sure your project board is smaller than your sled. That way you will get a prompt regarding the size. Respond to Keep Original Size. Then you will get a prompt to Place On Corner, Jog To Position, or Center. Select Jog To Position. Later you will get a prompt to Jog To Corner or Jog To Center. Choose Jog To Center.

I have had better luck using this method on double-sided carves.