PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Y-truck

Clyde Cochrane
09-30-2012, 06:02 PM
I am having a problem with the bit not touching the bit plate. I noticed last night when I was doing a carve that the Y-truck seemed to shift a tine fraction mid-carve (see pictures). I did troubleshooting this morning when I noticed that the bit was not touching the swinging bit plate. I was going down just off the plate and resulting in a continual "load bit" cycle. After cleaning the plate mechanism with compressed air and spraying WD40 into the spring, still no change. Then I checked the pully that moves the Y-truck to the right. I listed to it with my dust collector off and I heard it sound like it was dragging a bit on it's way to the right. There are no wires or interference with the cover that I can see. As a work around (I was getting desperate), I waited until the but was moving down to the bit plate and lifted the cover. I manually pushed the Y-truck to the right and I felt it move just a touch and heard a click. The bit plate swung out just a little bit more and it worked. I am running a simple test carve to see if there are any challenges with the truck movement, but I am hoping that there is someone out there that can tell me what is happening and how I can fix it. I have considered videoing it on my digital camera and posting it so someone can actually see what is happening. Appreciate any assistance/suggestions that anyone can give. I clean the carver after every carve, and I have a DC insert hooked up to a 1200cfm dust collector.

Digitalwoodshop
09-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Well the Not touching the Bit Plate sounds like a classic... "The Right Side Clear Cover Switch for the Cut Motor Wires got in the way because they were not tucked into the corner" The Z Motor Cooling Fins hit the wires.... AND they could likely cause the Y Offset problem while carving too.... But I wonder about a bad bearing in the Y Gear Box, or a Frozen Y Bearing?

I see you are staying under the rollers.... That is GOOD....

Dull Bit...? I am needing more info about your machine... New, Used? How many Cut Hours? QC or After Market Chuck?

Nice Design...

AL

Clyde Cochrane
09-30-2012, 07:17 PM
New machine, less than 50 hours on cut, but I think I have found the problem. 5622156222I don't think that that white roller in the middle there is supposed to be bent like that. Is that something that I can replace? If so, how can I do it? Appreciate the help. Oh, and new bits )bought from CarveWright), version C machine.

chief2007
09-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Call LHR/ Carvewright, you need y motor gear box assembly. Is your machine still under warranty? If so LHR should replace it for you.

fwharris
10-01-2012, 12:18 AM
Clyde,

Chief is correct, give LHR a call. It looks like one of the bearing in the gear box is trashed. Check how much tension you have on the Y belt. Appears to be to much looking at how much tilt there is in the gear.

Clyde Cochrane
10-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Only bought it 3 months ago; I will call in the morning and see if they will send me a replacement part. Looks like a pretty straightforward replacement procedure. I am in Hawaii, so sending it back would be cost-prohibitive. Appreciate the guidance. Strange thing is that I have made no adjustments or anything to the machine. Maybe a faulty gear or something.

Clyde Cochrane
10-01-2012, 12:41 PM
OK, so talked with a tech rep at LHR this morning. Sent him some additional pictures, and aq short video clip of the Y-motor mount. Looks like the bearing is broken or something similar as it it moving left, right, in and out. It is still under warranty, so it should be a simple replacement. Hope it gets to me quick (I am stationed in Hawaii). I think that I am going through the DTs. Oh, well, this will give me an opportunity to finish up the patterns I am working on.562315623256233Appreciate all the assistance, everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G4tpgfmJAA&feature=youtu.be

Digitalwoodshop
10-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Curious what the back of the Gear Box Looks Like....? Did the C Clip fall off and the back bearing fall out?

The pictures are very wide and hard to view but nice detail.

AL