PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Broken 1/8 cutting bits?

prowling1
09-29-2012, 11:59 AM
I have used the cutting bit in the past with no issues. I was cutting out a large sign which is just an arch. The older bit broke and I chalked it up to a dull bit. I ordered a new one and it cut out the first 1/2 of the sign no problems. Then on the second 1/2 the new bit broke in the same spot on the bit as the old one. Anyone have these issues? I really dont like broken bits on the machine as they tend to bounce all over the inside. Faulty bits?

-Dwayne

chebytrk
09-29-2012, 12:26 PM
What depth did you have the cutting bit set to? Did you let it just go to "default" and let the SW set it? If so, that could be 1 reason. I now like to set my cutting depth to .230 when I do a project. It might take just a little longer to cut out because it has to do several passes of cutting (depending on thickness of your board), but it's less strain on the cutting bit (also if it happens to hit a small knot in the wood). I did the same thing with a cutting bit that I purchased at LHR while at the conference. First time thru I figured that because it was a 3/16 cutting bit that it would have not problem....... wrong. I broke it my first time using it.
Also, I just found out that a friend of mine has purchased his cutting bit at Home Depot (1/4 shank) and he says it's been working great for a while now. It's a carbide bit, but has a flat & wider end, but he says it works fine and he's had no problems whatsoever. It costs about $22 and of course there's no shipping charge. However, it's up to you if you want to try it or not. I'm going to try it, but at my own risk.... so... it's up to you.

Digitalwoodshop
09-29-2012, 12:30 PM
I just answered the very same question that you also posted in the Troubleshooting Thread. Please see my answer. JerryB is correct also.

AL

unitedcases
09-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Can you post the details of this home depot cutting bit. I would definitely like to give it a shot.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2.

ladjr
09-29-2012, 04:59 PM
I agree with Jerry I always set max cut to.25

chebytrk
09-29-2012, 08:33 PM
I don't have any specs only that it is a carbide cutting bit with a 1/4 inch size shank & a wide flat tip from what I remember seeing. I'll check HD web site and take a look for a pic & post it here if I find it.

Can you post the details of this home depot cutting bit. I would definitely like to give it a shot.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2.

prowling1
09-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Yes I posted this one here then realized it should have been in troubleshooting. Sorry I did not delete this post. Now I cannot find the delete button hehe