PDA

View Full Version : centerline text

bobalou
09-27-2012, 11:02 AM
I am having problems when carving letters for a sign where as the letters come out great except for the center of the letters don't carve out completely. I have to finish them out by hand with chisels. Please help

CNC Carver
09-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Any examples Pics?

Digitalwoodshop
09-27-2012, 11:53 AM
This is because of the size of the V90 bit and the function of the V text. They DO sell a Extra Wide V Bit on some sites... I have never tried it, the stress on the machine would be very great.... Like a panel bit...

To aid in lining up the carve region turn off "Perspective View" as Parallax takes effect with it ON and a Carve Region in the middle of the Computer Screen moved left or right will look off center... This drove me nuts getting Drilled Holes in the proper place in centerline text years ago making solar powered LED Number Signs. Someone posted about the Perspective View and I was able to do it easier.

I could recommend setting up a Carve Region within the Text and it would carve first then the V Text later. I do bigger Text with Modern Font that is a single stroke font or Typeface. I outline then set up paths at depth to clean up the inside.

Ike may chime in, He has mastered doing Text by machine and by HAND...

You can find the Solar LED's on eBay. I set the project aside as the 2 AA Batteries did not get enough of a charge in the winter short days.... I did find that I could use Rechargeable D Batteries for a better and longer lasting LED sign. My latest idea is to use the AA Battery unit and just a few LED's. For the holes, a very thin hole for a fiber optic glass cable like you see in the Spencer Gift Stores... A clear straw like Fiber. Bundle them and light the ends with a few LED's for a smaller pin point of light. That project is still in development.... The Fiber can be had on eBay.

This is a project from 2007 and 2008. Some of the pictures have 2012 date as I cropped them. I used PVC Board back in 2007.

AL

bobalou
09-27-2012, 10:11 PM
56177 as you can see the inside of letters need to be carved out by hand. shouldn't there be a way to do this by machine? Thanks for any help. Bob

bobalou
09-27-2012, 10:12 PM
just posted picture

lawrence
09-27-2012, 10:15 PM
what font is that? That is unlike any centerline text that I've seen.

Lawrence

AskBud
09-27-2012, 10:34 PM
56177 as you can see the inside of letters need to be carved out by hand. shouldn't there be a way to do this by machine? Thanks for any help. BobI think you will find that you selected "Outline" rather than "Raster" or Centerline.
AskBud

bobalou
09-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Lawrence, It is Geogia font and bit is 90* ,the letters are 6 " tall and definately "centerline text not outline. Any ideas?

Ask Bud- It is Geogia font and bit is 90* ,the letters are 6 " tall and definately "centerline text not outline

mtylerfl
09-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Lawrence, It is Geogia font and bit is 90* ,the letters are 6 " tall and definately "centerline text not outline. Any ideas?

Ask Bud- It is Geogia font and bit is 90* ,the letters are 6 " tall and definately "centerline text not outline

If you indeed have selected Centerline Text (and own the license for that feature), then it may be that the letters are simply too large for your V-bit. If your V-bit is say, 1/2" in diameter, but the letters are more than 1/2" wide at any location, then of course the bit cannot carve a "proper centerline v-carve"...the bit is too small (or another way to put it, your letters are too large).

AL mentioned other bits in the above post. A common V-bit for large lettering is a 120 degree included angle bit. Unfortunately, this size bit is not on the "approved list" for the CarveWright machine, but I believe that some have used it anyway. You could try that, but realize it is at your own risk.

From your photo, it does look like Outline was selected (not Centerline). Uploading your MPC would help for us to look at and verify.

AskBud
09-27-2012, 11:08 PM

Ask Bud- It is Geogia font and bit is 90* ,the letters are 6 " tall and definately "centerline text not outlineAh, There is the rub!
The 6" height exceeds what this font can handle with your V-bit.
AskBud

mtylerfl
09-27-2012, 11:16 PM
OK, I just did a quick test...lettering that is too large will give the appearance of Outline being selected (even though you really selected Centerline). Again, simple reason...the letters are too large for the capability of the bit and machine to perform a Centerline Text.

badbert
09-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Just my 2 cents... They look damn good to me! Very elegant looking. Try some of that black ink everyone is using. They really do look good!

bobalou
09-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Ok everyone ,thanks for the help, I just thought there was a way to carve out the region inside the letter. Ive carved signs for 10 years by mallet and chisels, but got a CW about 5 years ago. I like it so much that I just got another. The CW can carve out lettering in about 1-1/2 or 2 hours that takes me by hand to do all day. Then another 2 hours to clean out the inside, but it does the layout and most of the carving for me which saves many hours. (4 hrs instead of 10) I use a 1/2 " shank 90* 3/4" v-grove bit to do the lettering.
Thanks for the help, Bobalou

lawrence
09-28-2012, 12:48 AM
just use standard raster cutting and inverse the text and you will get the effect you are looking for.

Hope this helps,
Lawrence

DickB
09-28-2012, 07:03 AM
I don't believe that a 120 degree bit would give the desired result without a software change recognizing it.

edzbaker
09-28-2012, 07:31 AM
As Lawrence said, Choose Raster, Size the carving, Invert, Then add DRAFT, and set the desired Depth.

See the attached picture of an 8" tall D using the Georgian font.

henry1
09-28-2012, 07:31 AM
While we are on the text issue, has any one seen this text scripe like the one in the pic posted here a while back I just can't find it , I'd love to get it again
Henry

henry1
09-28-2012, 10:25 AM
anybody seen this

cestout
09-28-2012, 02:16 PM
The closest I have is Black Chancery. In itallacs it would be a close match. It is one of my favorites and works great in Centerline. I also have a program - free download if still avalible - called easy font viewer, to quickly look thru my hundredds of fonts.
Clint