PDA

View Full Version : Centerline

woodchip
09-26-2012, 02:50 AM
I was wondering what would happen carving with centerline using the carving bit. Would the print be clear enough to print the 10 comandments with out chip out?
Thanks
Don

Bigtyme
09-26-2012, 06:58 AM
I think it would depend on how large the background piece is which would set the lettering size. I have also had some good results with calling for centerline text and then calling for a 60 degree v bit versus the usual 90 degree bit....

cnsranch
09-26-2012, 09:00 AM
You can actually assign the carving bit to Centerline, then zoom in as close as you can and take a look at the probable result.

Depending on the font you use, it can work, but most times it just won't.

AskBud
09-26-2012, 09:27 AM
In most cases, you will have a good chance of snapping your carving bit. The nature of Centerline text is to carve deep and heavy. Each font has its own profile which will furfher complicate this centerline carve.

Stick with using the V-bits which are designed to withstand the pressure!

liquidguitars
09-26-2012, 09:54 AM
I was wondering what would happen carving with centerline using the carving bit. Would the print be clear enough to print the 10 comandments with out chip out?
Thanks
Don

The 1/16 Carving bit can take a lot of stress so i think you be fine. I use the carving bit for inlay and drilling without issue. This is the 1/16" bit cutting Ebony finger board..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0W-5or4Dcc&list=UUsgHcEI0QlWQP7_zTbsOrIQ&index=2&feat ure=plcp

lynnfrwd
09-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Don't know if this is part of the issue, but remember that the 60 & 90º v-bits can be purchased individually. You don't have to purchase the Full Decorative Bit Set.

You will need to get the 1/4" split collet & 1/4" rubber stop collars to go with them.

Still a lot less than full bit set.

Digitalwoodshop
09-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Another option is to change the Font or Typeface to a Single Stroke Font and assign the Carving Bit AND use Centerline or try outline... Modern Text is one single stroke font. The inside of the lower case letters would be a problem...

AL

woodchip
09-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Thanks all. Alot of things to try and you people are the best.
Don

badbert
09-27-2012, 12:40 AM
I do not have centerline text... yet. But it is one addition I would like to make. But I do use the 1/16 carving bit to do something like centerline. With your text selected, click carve region. The text will be inverted and the carving bit will work. As far as breakout goes... I don't usually have a problem, but do a test carve first! You can also add a little feather (THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE FEATHER AND DRAFT OPTIONS!) for effect. This also allows you to Optimize Bit!

cestout
09-28-2012, 02:46 PM
I think the results would be disappointing. The neat thing about centerline is the way it comes back and touches up all the sharp corners.
Clint