PDA

View Full Version : Carving Width Is Off

Retrospek
09-26-2012, 01:34 AM
The problem I'm running into, is that I set a carve width of 0.25" (it defaults to the 1/16 carving bit) and when the board is carved, it ends up being over 0.36" instead of the 0.25" specified. I have a brand new model C version, and other than this quirkiness, it seems to be working fine. Also, I did not resize the project, I left it as default, and centered it.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I'm not sure why it's doing this.

Thanks.

AskBud
09-26-2012, 02:01 AM
The problem I'm running into, is that I set a carve width of 0.25" (it defaults to the 1/16 carving bit) and when the board is carved, it ends up being over 0.36" instead of the 0.25" specified. I have a brand new model C version, and other than this quirkiness, it seems to be working fine. Also, I did not resize the project, I left it as default, and centered it.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I'm not sure why it's doing this.

Thanks.
You have forgotten the taper of the carving bit!

Presuming you wish to have straight sides to your slotYou may best resolve this particular MPC by re-designing the slot and the bit to use.

Two solutions, depending upon the bits you have:
1) Draw two lines 1/8 inch from the center line. Assign your 1/8 cutting bit, and use the max-pass-depth of .200.

2) draw a line along the center path, assign a 1/4 inch straight bit, and use the same max-pass-depth of .200.
AskBud

Retrospek
09-26-2012, 02:06 AM
You have forgotten the taper of the carving bit!

Presuming you wish to have straight sides to your slotYou may best resolve this particular MPC by re-designing the slot and the bit to use.

Two solutions, depending upon the bits you have:
1) Draw two lines 1/8 inch from the center line. Assign your 1/8 cutting bit, and use the max-pass-depth of .200.

2) draw a line along the center path, assign a 1/4 inch straight bit, and use the same max-pass-depth of .200.
AskBud

Ah, I knew there had to be a simple explanation what I was doing wrong, thanks. :)

As for the sides being straight, that is what I wanted, yes, so I'll give the 1/8" bit a shot (haven't ordered the larger size bits yet, but will be doing so very soon).

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Digitalwoodshop
09-26-2012, 11:09 AM
You can always cut a test board of slots and depths.... Real World reference guide... I made one with a 3/8 bit cutting slots. Even with Humidity and Dryness of the Actual Board when I am needing the function of Slots it lets me measure the slot in need on the actual board and then look at the numbers on the board mpc. For me, it takes the math and guess work out of getting closer to what I want quicker...

AL

SteveNelson46
09-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Retrospek

This should fix your problem.
For the outside perimeter of the slot I assigned a 1/8" cutting bit with a .063 inset. I added a straight line down the middle for cleanup and also assigned a 1/8" cutting bit. Both set to a depth of .350. Using this method it should cut much faster and more accurate.

Retrospek
09-26-2012, 09:19 PM
You can always cut a test board of slots and depths.... Real World reference guide... I made one with a 3/8 bit cutting slots. Even with Humidity and Dryness of the Actual Board when I am needing the function of Slots it lets me measure the slot in need on the actual board and then look at the numbers on the board mpc. For me, it takes the math and guess work out of getting closer to what I want quicker...

AL

That's an awesome idea, and great attached image. Thanks for the idea, will give that a shot.

Retrospek

This should fix your problem.
For the outside perimeter of the slot I assigned a 1/8" cutting bit with a .063 inset. I added a straight line down the middle for cleanup and also assigned a 1/8" cutting bit. Both set to a depth of .350. Using this method it should cut much faster and more accurate.

Awesome, thank you very much. I sort of solved it with the idea that AskBud gave me, but I'll give this a MPC a shot as well, it may even come out better than the way I did it. I appreciate all the tips, tricks and help from the community, you guys are awesome, thanks.