PDA

View Full Version : First Project - Would like some software advice

Clyde Cochrane
09-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Would like some feedback/assistance. Thiis is my first large project, and I am trying to replicate my unit patch. I am unable to figure out how to slant the edges (the outside of the patch, arrows, etc), and also round off the edges on the dragon. Would like to know if it is possible to do these things with the base software, or if I need to plan on purchasing some of the advanced software. Appreciate any advice on this. I am absolutely loving this carvewright. Thanks

fwharris
09-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Clyde,

Welcome to the CW forum! Great under taking for your first large project!

To get the edges slanted with just the basic software (designer) you can add "draft" to the pattern. This will add a slope to the edges. If you have the pattern editor software (comes with the scanning probe) you can add "blur" to the pattern. This will add some slope. Just do not over do it with the draft as it will also take out some of the detail.

ladjr
09-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Very Nice Carving. It looks very professional. Is that gold plating or paint.

myshop1044
09-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Clyde, since the arrows are in the region, do an outline over the arrows, then assign a 60or90 "v"
bit to the outline and it will make tapper around the edge of the arrow also you can do the same thing for outside of the
plaque, not encluding the text area if you are using a larger board to cut out the project.
just a tip to try. you may also want to try carving the whole thing out of the pink 3/4" foam insulation you
put into walls of the house. this works well and does not waste good wood.

Perry B.

Clyde Cochrane
09-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Very Nice Carving. It looks very professional. Is that gold plating or paint.

It is just simple gold acrylic paint, and the red is red acrylic paint. I have never done anything like this, so it is definitely a learning experience.

Clyde Cochrane
09-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Much appreciated. I will try that when I get home from work. I am stationed in Hawaii, which makes the woodworking great year-round, temperature-wise.

bjbethke
09-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Would like some feedback/assistance. Thiis is my first large project, and I am trying to replicate my unit patch. I am unable to figure out how to slant the edges (the outside of the patch, arrows, etc), and also round off the edges on the dragon. Would like to know if it is possible to do these things with the base software, or if I need to plan on purchasing some of the advanced software. Appreciate any advice on this. I am absolutely loving this carvewright. Thanks
Clyde, The CW Unit uses a Grayscale image to make/carve the patterns. I use a program called ShaderMap Pro to give my images a 3d look. The program is less then $30.00

I also use the Pattern Editor and designer to make the PTN, MPW and the MPC files.

Welcome to the Forum. Great Job on the carving.

b.sumner47
09-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Welcome Aboard ! Nice job.

Capt Barry