PDA

View Full Version : Machine restarts

koch
09-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Seem to be having a little problem and I am hoping someone can help me out. Machine has been running fine, then the edge sensor went bad, no problem ordered a new and everything was back up and running. Now the machine is restarting all of the time, sometimes it will run for 30 mins and other times for a couple of seconds. It is even restarting during the user tests. I checked all of the power connections, all good. Plugged directly into a dedicated outlet same result. Its an A version if that helps. Maybe I need a new power supply? Thanks in advance for any help.

Digitalwoodshop
09-24-2012, 02:28 PM
The Power Supply has a L2 Coil to remove noise from the DC Power. It is on the Output Leg of the Power Supply so when this part vibrates, the glue holding it sometimes is not enough and it causes the 14 gage solid house wire (looking) coil wire to bend and bend and finally snap.... It usually snaps below the surface of the board where it is bent over.... A easy fix for someone good at Circuit Board Repair... Since the Wires are thick... Only a Expert should attempt this as over heating the small copper pads on the circuit board can come un glued.. A TV Repair Shop with my pictures can fix it....

OR buy a new power supply....

The ON OFF Switch can cause this too.... A Temporary Bypass could prove it is not the switch....

CAREFUL.... This voltage can KILL YOU.... If you are not a electronic person... Let someone else do it who knows....

This is a common problem with the "A" Series.... Not seen in units produced later... Just a bad run of Power Supplies... TOO Little Glue... And more than likely a QC Used longer than it should being worn and vibrating... See my 2007 date on the picture with 2 machines..... I purchased the 2nd from a frustrated Sears Manager for $500.00 at the time... Just a bad Z Encoder.... Diving into the board.... A Return.... The Power Supply got me up while I waited for my Warranty Power Supply to show up. I am selling that left laser engraver.... Runs on Windows 95 no newer... If anyone is interested send me a PM or email. Have never used it... The Laser Tube may be bad.

IF you have a QC and see BB Marks in the Bit Holders then all bit holders and the QC need to be replaced. If you replace just the QC or Bit Holders they still flop around and destroy the new part.... Either the new QC or Bit Holder... MUST be replaced as a SET... Everything.... We took a very long time to find this out... and ME being Frugal... Used my Bad QC's for .... Just one more Project..... And the result was bad L2 and also the C1 Cap on the X Termination Board... It controls the Q1 that turns on and off the Cut Motor... So never bypass the Right side cover Safety Switch.... The C1 being snapped can touch when you turn the Bit Holder Wrench and the Cut Motor can come ON as you are changing bits.... not good.... Last picture of C1 on the X Termination Board if your still running a QC... The ROCK and CarveTite fix the Vibration issue... Of my 4 machines, I had 3 broken C1's... All before the ROCK came out... The ROCK is a After Market Bit Chuck sold by member Ron Justice and the CarveTite is sold by LHR....

I am still looking for USED ROCK Chucks for anyone having changed to a CT. Drop me a email.

Good Luck,

AL

Picture 7. Since you have a "A" Series, look at the picture and KNOW if you have the old 18 pin FSC Cable... The flat cable that supplies power to the Z Head and returns Position data to the computer along with Board Sensor Data. EARLY 18 pin cables are thinner wires and it is like a "AA" Battery.. The newer 14 pin cable has thicker wires in the same area and is like a "D" Battery when it comes to pushing the Z Motor. Z Stall was a common problem with the 18 pin. ZERO Z Stall from the 14 pin.... KNOW... as the replacement cable is ONLY 14 pin and IF you plug the Wider Pins of a 14 Pin Cable into a OLD 18 Pin Socket, it SHORTS out the Computer.... A $300.00 PLUS repair... So KNOW.... And if you have a 18 pin, they sell a KIT.... 2 Circuit Boards with 14 Pin Sockets and a 14 Pin Cable... EASY Replacement...

Picture 8. The Broken C1 Capacitor and the Q1 is the on off switch to the Cut Motor, Computer Controlled...:mrgreen:

You may already know all this but in case you didn't...:roll:

koch
09-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Al,

Thanks for the information. Where would I order the power supply and 14 pin kit? I didn't see them listed in the store.

Digitalwoodshop
09-24-2012, 06:52 PM
You will need to call them or send a email. Calling is best. 713-473-6572

AL

koch
09-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Al,

Thanks for your help, it looks like it is a power switch issue. Just got done with a 2 hour carve and no issues (besides my bad design)

Thanks again

Gregg