PDA

View Full Version : New exposed-gear clock

DickB
09-23-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm working on a new exposed-gear clock. It will have an electromagnetic pendulum similar to the Mystery Clock - in fact, I may borrow some of the pendulum components from it. But the clock itself will be more compact, about half the size, using smaller gears (which means one more pair). It will also feature a second hand. I'm thinking this may be a wall-mount model, or perhaps an option for desktop. I have lots of work to do, and a three-week trip diversion, so it will be a while to get this completed. The overall design is pretty much done (at lest in my head) and all the gears laid out in Designer. The frame is a work in progress.

This rendering was cut and pasted from the Designer screen and built up in paint.net. I think it will better illustrate how the clock goes together. Lots more parts to add.

SharonB
09-23-2012, 01:53 PM
I was fascinated with your Mystery Clock at the convention and look forward to seeing the progress you made on this new one. One of these days I'll have to carve one or the other.

b.sumner47
09-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Lookin good, Dick. I can't wait to see the finished project.

Capt Barry

ladjr
09-23-2012, 04:33 PM
I have always been interested in gear clocks, can't wait to see it.

DickB
09-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Thanks! Most people are fascinated by the electromagnetic pendulum clocks. Kids especially get memorized by them. I love to ask people if they can figure out how they work. I've donated several to charity auction/dinner events, and they always draw bidders. I also build a kit of parts for each of my brothers to build. I'm in the process of building another Mystery Clock myself for a December event. You learn a lot by building them, and come up with ideas and improvements for the next one. I hope to have a series of them some day. The one after this one will likely feature a longer 2-second pendulum like a grandfather clock.

ladjr
09-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Dick

Do you have a web site where you sell or post your inventions

Leo
Life is to short carve something today

DickB
09-24-2012, 08:08 PM
carveshop.com

(http://www.carveshop.com)I have clock projects in the PatternDepot and a hardware kit including electronics for the Mystery Clock through my web site. I do sell electromagnetic pendulum electronics only. Always open to custom woodworking and electronics projects. Contact me at dick@carveshop.com.

ladjr
09-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the information. I will check it out.

lawrence
09-25-2012, 08:24 AM
can't wait to see it completed either--a clock is definitely on my "to do" list

Lawrence

TerryT
09-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Nice. Your clocks are fascinating.

dltccf
09-26-2012, 11:52 AM
carveshop.com

(http://www.carveshop.com)I have clock projects in the PatternDepot and a hardware kit including electronics for the Mystery Clock through my web site. I do sell electromagnetic pendulum electronics only. Always open to custom woodworking and electronics projects. Contact me at dick@carveshop.com.

Dick, On your website you have the Kit for $90. If I purchase the kit does that include the mpc or is it separate?

DickB
09-26-2012, 12:12 PM
The kit on my website is the Hardware Kit only. You purchase the project (mpc files and detailed instructions in pdf format) separately from the PatternDepot:https://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=23467&cat=0&page=1 to make all the wooden parts. You can download the project and instructions no charge to take a look before you buy.

ladjr
09-26-2012, 04:04 PM
The kit on my website is the Hardware Kit only. You purchase the project (mpc files and detailed instructions in pdf format) separately from the PatternDepot:https://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=23467&cat=0&page=1 to make all the wooden parts. You can download the project and instructions no charge to take a look before you buy.

Dick

I look at your web site and could not figure out how to download, can you please advise where that is.

DickB
09-26-2012, 04:13 PM
You download from the PatternDepot. Follow the PatternDepot link that I posted to get to the Mystery Clock project and click on the "Try" button (you may have to scroll down to locate it). You do need to sign in to teh store. If you haven't already registered at the store, you'll have to do that, but there is no charge for that or to Try.

ladjr
09-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks Dick for the information.

DickB
10-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Took my laptop on the trip and have had time to design some more parts. I may actually get the first iteration design finished on this trip.

b.sumner47
10-08-2012, 10:40 PM
That looks really nice, DickB. Three weeks ,huh?

Capt Barry

DickB
10-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Most of the parts are designed. There are only three parts with any carving at all - almost all of the parts are machined only using the 1/8" cutting bit. I'm not sure how well the offset magnet on the pendulum will perform. I will need to test that out.