PDA

View Full Version : Static Electricity?

Bill Pratt
09-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Static Electricity?

I’m Carving a two sided outdoor sign in 5/4” AZEK(PVC). Each time I run a side some of the carving is messed up. The XYZ axis isall working correctly. I’m convinced that I’m getting static electricity. Mymachine sits on a wood work bench. I use a Ring Neck dust system that is groundedto a 2 hp collection system. I’ve never (350 hrs. carve time) run into thistype of problem.

Do other folks run a separate ground from the CWmachine to an outside ground? Has anyone ever tried to ground the actual materialbeing carved to an outside ground?

Advice appreciated.

fwharris
09-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Bill,

How is the carving messing up?

PVC dust/chips that do not get sucked up by dust collection can and will build up on the rails/bearings and will require some extra cleaning during the carve. I do have my system grounded to my service ground in the shop ( not just a ground off of the dust collector frame).

Another thing to be aware of is making sure you have masking tape on the bottom side of the board for extra traction for the brass roller and belts.

Bill Pratt
09-23-2012, 11:00 AM
I use tape on the back for the brass roller. That function seems to go ok. As I indicated, I do use the Ring Neck system. The PVC dust does build up a little more than with wood but does not appear to be an issue.

As far as the carving mess ups, the carcings appear correct but in slightly wrong place, or one atop another. I've run this pattern 3 times and each is slightlt different.

b.sumner47
09-23-2012, 02:29 PM
I have my seperate ground from my CW to and independent ground. I try and have multiple ground posts around the shop.the center screw on the recepticle make a good source, just used a longer screw ,or the best I think a water pipe.

Capt Barry

Digitalwoodshop
09-23-2012, 06:17 PM
350 hours... Y Gear Box Bearings?

What axis is the error in?

AL

badbert
09-23-2012, 07:09 PM
You need more tape than just the brass roller! You need to cover the bottom so the boards do not slip (improved traction).

Bill Pratt
09-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Well, this has been quite a saga. It was in fact static electricity. It took me quite a while ro track down the cukprit. All of the axis were working correctly. No traction issues or slippimg.

The issue resulved around my board brush! I've had this brush for quite a few years. I like it because iy is stiff and can bruch sawdust out of cracks and grooves. This brush has never been an issue before. I sometimes have an issue with being patient. This involves the CW machine at times. Because this was my fiest carve with AZEK I wanted to see how it was coming out of the machine. So, I was brushing the dust off the board as it was coming out of the machine while the CW was still carving!

The brush I was using was made with nylon bristles. This created just enough static to make the CW semi-crazy. After a process of elimination, I set up a practice piece and actually watched this happen! My new board brush has a wood handle and natural fiber bristles.

Now thar I've solved my issues AZEK, I feel very good about using it for outdoor projects. It's a little expensive, buy I've had no problem selling it for more money because it is abroluely maintenance free.

fwharris
09-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Bill,

Great update and finding what your static problem was.

Digitalwoodshop
09-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Rats.... WRONG again.... GOOD JOB finding the problem....

AL

badbert
09-24-2012, 01:04 PM
That's crazy! Good find, let us know if it fixes it... Show us your work! LOL

Digitalwoodshop
09-24-2012, 02:08 PM
I bet you could do the High School Experiment with that method making a balloon stick to your Daughters or someones Hair... OR making the hair stand out like the Static Electricity Generator...

Make sure you have a ground wire to the machine too.. In out feed trays.... With all that paint and even using a all metal RingNeckBlues Collector you still caused the machine to get "Crazy"....

What happens is that the frame of the machine gets a static charge that is thousands of volts above ground and the computer parts use 5 volt logic and a common ground as in the machine.... Many of the parts have a return wire as part of the 5 volt logic circuits but the computer is looking for 5 volt pulses in respect to ground.... IF the Ground of the machine is floating...as in at a Voltage potential of say 10 Thousand Volts of Static, the computer gets confused...

I believe the problem with Run Away Cars and Fly by Wire as in the Gas Peddle is Controlled and Monitored by a little motor and sensor.... That a Static Charge built up on the cars and prevented the computer from properly controlling the gas peddle, hence speeding cars..... Since the car runs on rubber tires, in theory the ground of the car can have a positive static charge.... You can find videos on line where a metal GAS CAN is being filled while sitting on a fiberglass Truck Bed Liner.... A Spark makes the Can EXPLODE.....

http://www.familycar.com/SafetyAlert/pickup.htm

http://www.techletter.com/Archive/Safety%20articles/gascansvehicles.html

It has also been reported that while the car is being filled with gas that the person gets back into the car.... Gets out and depending on the clothing can now have a Static Charge and when they reach for the Gas Nozzle a Spark from the hand as THEY have a charge that is grounded thought the Grounded Nozzel.... And the Gas Tank EXPLODES.....

This Static issue is the reason I love the RingNeckBlues all metal collector... Others deal with this Static issue with metal tape on the plastic collector parts. I get beat up by the other vendors every time I mention all metal.... Just my choice...

AL

lynnfrwd
09-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Rats.... WRONG again.... GOOD JOB finding the problem....

AL

LOL...Don't beat yourself up, Al! It's not often that you are wrong!

Digitalwoodshop
09-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Darn.. It's going to be hard to fit though the Shop Door with my Head Swelled Up with EGO....

Thanks..... Posted another BOOK on another post on the L2....

AL