PDA

View Full Version : 3/8" jointing bit too long to load using Rock Chuck?

Ton80
09-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Hi guys,

Just came upon an interesting dilemma... I'm running a project and using the 3/8" bit but I can't load the bit because the Ztruck won't go high enough to allow the bit to be loaded! I am going to raise the head but I can't believe this is the only way to get this particular bit into the Rock.. ideas?

James RS
09-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Can the excess be cut off the top of the bit?

mtylerfl
09-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Hi guys,

Just came upon an interesting dilemma... I'm running a project and using the 3/8" bit but I can't load the bit because the Ztruck won't go high enough to allow the bit to be loaded! I am going to raise the head but I can't believe this is the only way to get this particular bit into the Rock.. ideas?

As I recall, the Rock chuck is longer than the CW chucks (by about 1/2" I think? - I don't remember the exact amount of excess length).

I don't know if any other Rock users have ever tried to use the 3/8" bit and/or were successful in doing so. if not, other than purchasing a different (shorter) bit, I'm not sure there is anything else you can do (other than replace the Rock with a CarveTight, of course). Perhaps some of the remaining Rock users can offer a solution. I believe "AL Who" will know what to do!!

Digitalwoodshop
09-20-2012, 08:03 PM
I too purchased some 3/8 PLUNGE End Mill Bits with 1/4 inch shafts. Work GREAT in the Rock... It is important to buy the Plunge Bit with cutters on the bottom.

AL

mtylerfl
09-20-2012, 09:43 PM
I too purchased some 3/8 PLUNGE End Mill Bits with 1/4 inch shafts. Work GREAT in the Rock... It is important to buy the Plunge Bit with cutters on the bottom.

AL

Hi AL,

What is the length of the bits you purchased? (Might help Rock users to have that info.)

Ton80
09-21-2012, 12:29 AM
I probably should have mentioned this is the 3/8" bit that came with the CW full bit set ( QC thingy removed of course ). It is a long bit and is the only one that can't be inserted unless you push the Z truck all the way to the back of the machine or raise the head. I got by but I'll use a different bit in the future that isn't as long.

Ton80
09-21-2012, 12:31 AM
Can the excess be cut off the top of the bit?

That doesn't sound like a good idea :roll:

brdad
09-21-2012, 06:13 AM
I have used the 3/8 bit that came with the CW in my Rock Chuck. Same issue; I just manually move the head up to the top and can get it to slip in. Have never had any problems doing this. The machine checks the position and depth of the bit afterward, anyway, so moving it is not an issue.