250 gb hard drive
networked

keeps poping up /seems when i try to flip a patteren mostly

any help would be great..

thanks

the giz

HandTurnedMaple
01-29-2007, 07:18 PM
I think you are running low on RAM. I get that alot to when it starts to slow down. And I have 2GB with a 512MB video card. 3D software uses up alot of resources. That's all I've been able to figure out with mine so far.

GIZMO1D1
01-29-2007, 07:20 PM
wow...ram??......geepers! i thought i had enough to edit comercials!!

thanks ..i think?... :shock:

Malfunction
01-30-2007, 05:00 PM
what kind of video card do you have?

GIZMO1D1
01-30-2007, 05:27 PM
rage 128 pro ultra gl agp//

HandTurnedMaple
01-30-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm pretty sure it can't be a video card issue. I have a Radeon x1900 512MB with recent drivers, and I have a similar issue. But after posting my comment about RAM last night, I downloaded "Free RAM Optimizer" and have not fallen below 1100 MB all day and no Designer crashes either. KNOCK ON WOOD.

swhitney
01-30-2007, 06:51 PM
I think you are running low on RAM. I get that alot to when it starts to slow down. And I have 2GB with a 512MB video card. 3D software uses up alot of resources. That's all I've been able to figure out with mine so far.

gosh, I have "only" 1gb ram with a video card built into intel motherboard, which I believe shares the memory... and have had few problems, or at least not this problem. I am running the demo version so far as my machine (please, please) should arrive on Monday (please, please...kneel, pray, amen, etc)

GIZMO1D1
01-30-2007, 07:00 PM
yea..this is getting rediculous.........

now everytime i try to adjust the size of a patteren it crashs the program..

boy ill tell ya... if its not the machine giving me a headach//now software... im not sure how much longer i can hang in here,, so many problems..

this form has helped me work them out but gezzz.... dose anyone have a new machine that has more working time then down?

im lossing my patiences..ive already repaired my 5 old machine 8 times / replaced set screws / need new sandpaper / recal. roller pressure/
repaired coil on transformer circut.. now the software is acting up///sure would like to use it for the reason i bought it.. 90 days and counting/85 left

swhitney
01-30-2007, 07:10 PM
yea..this is getting rediculous.........

Even though many have had problems, I still look forward to delivery on Monday. Do I expect perfection? After reading your posts as well as many others, hopefully yes. Will I get perfection? Probably not, but the machine looks as tho it can do some pretty amazing things, so I wait with a bit of aprehension and a lot of patience. I know that I will make a lot of sawdust, and hopefully not a lot of frustration, but I am going into this with open eyes, and some of your experiences. Anyone considering this machine should hang around this forum, and make an informed decision, as I hope we all have. Poop does happen, not everything is perfect, but the possibilities are endless.... is the glass is half full, or half empty??? (an engineer would say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be......)

anyway, don't give up. And hopefully I will feel the same way when I have been through some of the same things others have before me....

GIZMO1D1
01-30-2007, 07:18 PM
[quote](an engineer would say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be......)

HA HA...I LIKE THAT LINE!!...THANKS.....

great way to look at it!//

HandTurnedMaple
01-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Have you tried telling Sears you want to exchange the one you have and have them order in a new one for you? Get a manager if you have to. But make it clear if you have to bring the one in you have without a replacement waiting for you, then the only thing you will be leaving with is a refund check and the phone number of the regional manager (or his supervisor if he/she happens to be the person you reach). And do it nicely... :D

My machine has ran flawlessly so far...knock on wood...even after a 6 hour cut on white oak today. My point being there are good machines out there, and they seem to be getting more and more common. Dump the trashy one back on Sears.

kwyjibo67
01-30-2007, 11:44 PM
What does the Windows Task Manager show when you are running the software? CTRL-ALT-DEL, then click the Task Manager button. Click the Performance tab. This will show you CPU and Memory usage. I don't have any big carvings in designer yet, but just playing around with the software is only using about 100MB on my machine. Total in use is 414MB out of 1 Gig (Windows XP Pro starts up taking around 256 MB). The Task Manager will stay on top of all windows, so you can open up the Designer software, flip your pattern back and forth, and watch the CPU and Memory. Flipping a pattern doesn't seem to affect the memory usage, but CPU goes up to around 40 or 50%. Moving a pattern has a similar affect. If you are flipping or moving a group of patterns, the CPU may spike close to 100%, but again no noticeable memory increase. Have you tried turning off 3D Graphics hardware acceleration under the Edit - Preferences menu? Might be a little slower, but I didn't notice anything when testing. [/img]

BobC33
01-31-2007, 02:02 AM
I just started getting this same problem when I go to import file to favorties or try uploading mpc file to reader it gives me this gui.exe crash and closes. I know it is not a ram problem but a conflict of some sort that I just can't find yet. It sure is a bummer when your machine is working great but now because of the software you can't use it. I've only had my machine for a week now and it's a software problem. I sent an email to the carvewright site and will have to see what they respond with unless some of you with this same problem comes across a cure before I do, please let me know what you found.

IM2HAPPI
01-31-2007, 02:51 AM
I have had that same error a few times in the past. Just had it a few minutes ago trying to upload the wrench. Please post when you hear back from CW k Bob ?

BobC33
01-31-2007, 11:24 AM
I got the deadly GUI screen when trying to upload one of my projects I designed (36x14x3/4) it had lots of stuff on it and it gave me this screen everytime I tried uploading it then I tried sizing the board to (24x11x3/4) and it uploaded ok. Am wondering if you have too much detail in project it gives this GUI error. But I still have a problem taking a pic and trying to import it into my favorites as a PTN file. Something is causing these clitches and I am trying to figure why. I will go cut my project I uploaded and try to think about it while waiting for a definite answer to this software glitch. Maybe the next update will cure thses problems and I hope they come out with it soon.

GIZMO1D1
01-31-2007, 08:08 PM
anyone fix this mess yet?...

been sittn around with my just repaired new machine and dont have software that works...

ohh i think i gotta buy the software for a extra 500.00?,,,ooo golly geepers...

this is gettn to be alot of bull with all this mess!/// software/repair this//replace that!... purchase this//get a new that!!..

real close to returning to sears!...............

DustMe
01-31-2007, 08:25 PM
My Designer software is crashing all the time also.

Now every time I click on Help/Updates or Help/Online Forum I get a Critical error message: Browser reports error!

Selecting the Help/Help Contents menu item does not bring up any help file either.

pkunk
01-31-2007, 08:34 PM
Fellas..... It's gotta be computer related. Annilise the hardware. I haven't had a Designer crash yet. Over the past year I've had other problems, but I was the first Mac beta tester. It's the same software.

Jeff_Birt
01-31-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm kind of wondering if it has anything to do with the video card/driver/open-gl implementation. Might want to check video drivers, settting etc. I use other 3d modeling software at work and sometimes they can be finiky about such things (even software costing $10K and up). That being said I have managed to create a few Designer crashes my self. I'm wondering how many of these 'quirks' might be taken care of in teh next, 'rumored to be out soon' update (not the pro upgrade). Has anyone given CW a call on this?

BobC33
01-31-2007, 08:48 PM
Of course you haven't had any problems because you are using a mac and we all know that there are pretty reliable not like Microsoft that always has bugs and never gets any better even with their new Vista coming out. The rest of us that are using PC's running microsoft have the software problems so consider yourself lucky. I've been on my cw for 19 hrs 15 mins with no mechanical problems but this software is starting to act up and I haven't changed anything. I have the ram, the video and the speed so I know it's not my stuff causing the problem. If the next update doesn't clear it or I by some miracle find the culprit then I will be a happy carver. Until then I need some help finding what is going on with this software.

pkunk
01-31-2007, 09:09 PM
Of course you haven't had any problems because you are using a mac and we all know that there are pretty reliable not like Microsoft that always has bugs and never gets any better even with their new Vista coming out. The rest of us that are using PC's running microsoft have the software problems so consider yourself lucky. I've been on my cw for 19 hrs 15 mins with no mechanical problems but this software is starting to act up and I haven't changed anything. I have the ram, the video and the speed so I know it's not my stuff causing the problem. If the next update doesn't clear it or I by some miracle find the culprit then I will be a happy carver. Until then I need some help finding what is going on with this software.
Nope-smart :D I can run what Windoz programs I choose to on my Mac so why would I want one of those?

HandTurnedMaple
01-31-2007, 10:32 PM
Has anybody tried uninstalling Designer and reinstalling it? After backing up your pattern and project files of course.

BobC33
01-31-2007, 10:38 PM
Has anybody tried uninstalling Designer and reinstalling it? After backing up your pattern and project files of course.

Done that still same problem....any guesses? How about the beta testers out there got any answers. I can run the most ram crabbing video editor and have no problems but this carvewright stuff just started going bonkers on me and I can't seem to figure it out.