PDA

View Full Version : sweep: rail , no cutpath

myshop1044
09-19-2012, 09:09 PM
I am playing with the sweep rail tool and did a 2 sided object, now I want to outline it and do a cutpath.
I highlighted all the lines and was not able to do and outline and a cutpath
any help would be great MT if your listening in tonight.

Perry B.

badbert
09-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Sorry I do not have any of the advanced software.

myshop1044
09-20-2012, 06:36 AM
I found away around it for cutpath to work. I traced the outside of the project with
the grid enabled, closed the trace and I was able to then get cutpath to work on a 2 sided project.
Then I started thinking I will not be able to drill a hole on the end for the candle, so I tried
a 2 sides project, but with only 1 side of the project on the front part of the board and
a recess area on the back for the hole for the candle. I will have to make 2 pieces and glue them
together.
Perry B.

earlyrider
09-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Try highlighting just the line with the carved area, then outline and cut. Worked for me.
Ron

mtylerfl
09-20-2012, 07:28 PM
I am playing with the sweep rail tool and did a 2 sided object, now I want to outline it and do a cutpath.
I highlighted all the lines and was not able to do and outline and a cutpath
any help would be great MT if your listening in tonight.

Perry B.

Hi Perry,

Just saw your post. Earlyrider had the correct answer for creating an outline for your Cut Path (i.e., selecting the bottom rail in this case, then click on the Outline Tool). Good going Ron!!

Before you run this project, there is some work to be done, I believe. Look at the screenshot below. The top of your sweep profile is not "square", the side angles are not equal in length, and the entire sweep needs to be dead-center to achieve the results I think you will want. Remember, you CAN use the Snap function in the profile window...it works the same as the "main" Designer area...you can turn it on or off anytime. Turning on the snap in the profile window will help you draw your profile with precision.

myshop1044
09-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks Ron and MT for your coments. I was able to get the cutpath working, I learn something new today.
MT you are right, I do have some tweeking before I try it. I was just trying to get process correct before I
carve it.
Thanks again fellows this fourm is great.

Perry B.