PDA

View Full Version : Future Quilt Rack

Ropdoc
09-19-2012, 03:08 PM

Hello,

Above are a couple quilt racks I am working on. I have the one
carvewright file done. I just need to buy the lumber. What do you think of them?

Dave

ladjr
09-19-2012, 03:25 PM
They look great, are you going to carve something on the end of #2.

SharonB
09-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Both of the racks are quite unique. If your in an area with lots of quilters they should sell very good.

Ropdoc
09-19-2012, 03:42 PM
They look great, are you going to carve something on the end of #2.

I was thinking the Tree of life

Ropdoc
09-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Both of the racks are quite unique. If your in an area with lots of quilters they should sell very good.

My sister is a quilter. She purchased this computer control sewing machine. Looks like some Racks go for upto $300.

b.sumner47
09-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Very nice !

Capt Barry

ladjr
09-19-2012, 08:01 PM
I was thinking the Tree of life

That would be cool I just hate to see a blank spot.

Ropdoc
09-20-2012, 10:43 AM

I agree. This is how I plan to carve it. Thank you for your kind words and imput.

Digitalwoodshop
09-20-2012, 11:51 AM
My Quilt Racks became Wine Racks when a guy at a show asked me to make one with the rail points UP for CD Storage.... Then it became WINE RACKS... The Pins make it easy to SHIP.... or mix and match sides.... and Rail Length....

And with the Quilt Racks you must be aware that the FINISH you use on the Rails "CAN" come off on some VERY EXPENSIVE QUILTS and the quick Disassembly of the rails makes for a CLUB for the Quilter to BEAT ME ON the HEAD.... LOL... But Seriously.... MANY of my Quilters have removed the Rails and made a CLOTH SLEEVE that slides over the Rails to PROTECT the Quilt.... Plus it gives them a chance to Design the Sleeve....

My Quilt and Wine Rack pattern is in the pattern thread under AL's something I believe. Feel free to use them.... A Short 15 inch Table Top Wine Rack was popular...

AL

earlyrider
09-20-2012, 06:36 PM
How are you going to manage the short grain areas on the rack on the left? Would hate to see it break somewhere when its loaded up. Baltic birch cuts well in the machine, and could be painted or veneered, or just sealed.
Ron

mtylerfl
09-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Hello,

Above are a couple quilt racks I am working on. I have the one
carvewright file done. I just need to buy the lumber. What do you think of them?

Dave

Dave, they both look great! the one on the left has a very interesting curved design. In the photo, if you look close, it appears that particular one is made of plywood...which would make sense, to avoid breakage across the short grain. Another approach might be to modify the design with an integrated support bracket added, if you would rather have it all solid wood instead of plywood. However, I would probably just use cabinet-grade ply, then edge band the exposed ply layers with the real wood "veneer" strips that come in a roll at your local home improvement store. I always keep both oak and white birch rolls of the edge veneer on hand - great stuff.

ktjwilliams
09-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Nice !!!! I'm gonna take U up on the offer to use the patterns Al !!!

ladjr
09-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Now that is perfect.

Ropdoc
09-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Dave, they both look great! the one on the left has a very interesting curved design. In the photo, if you look close, it appears that particular one is made of plywood

The images you see are from Solidworks. I design my stuff in Solidworks. They will be cut from Alder.

Dave

mtylerfl
09-20-2012, 09:28 PM
The images you see are from Solidworks. I design my stuff in Solidworks. They will be cut from Alder.

Dave

I love working with Alder. I used it extensively when I built a whole new set of kitchen cabinets about 35 years ago! (The house was built in the 1920's and was in dire need of a complete interior remodel - which I did myself over a period of about a year...the kitchen took 2 months alone.) All the face frames and cabinet door rails and stiles, as well as the drawer fronts were Alder.