PDA

View Full Version : Past POMs

Ropdoc
09-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Good afternoon. I just purchased POM with the hope of downloading some of the past projects like the picture frame and a couple boxes. I am unemployed and was hoping to make them to sell at a flea market. But I just found out that you can not access past projects, Is this true?

lynnfrwd
09-18-2012, 07:32 PM
POM subscription is only for new projects that are created. You will get a new one each month for a year.

Kind of like Christmas waiting to see what it will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawrence
09-18-2012, 07:58 PM
yup, it's a subscription just like a magazine subscription where you get a monthly project. Just like a magazine subscription, purchasing a yearly subscription doesn't get you all the past "issues"

It does appear that you can purchase the individual past projects though- they are in the Carvewright pattern depot here

http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=261

Hope this helps and sorry it wasn't the news you were looking for. I do look forward to seeing some of your great projects over the next year though!

Lawrence

dbfletcher
09-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Just like a magazine subscription, purchasing a yearly subscription doesn't get you all the past "issues"

I understand what your saying, but I'm not sure the analogy really applies. At least with the majority of Magazine's that I subscribe to, as a subscriber I also typically get access to all back issues in a electronic format online. I guess the big distinction between POM's and magazines is magazines typically lose their relevance over time, where MTs' POM's are pretty much timeless.

Ropdoc
09-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Well I have never paid $130 to a magazine. My understanding was that there was a batch of projects. I wanted to build the Old chair picture frame, Bread Sled and so on. I am unemployed and thought I would invest in the subscription to make money. The projects are online. So why noy make them available to paid members? We are able to share other files. Why not create a section for member only. At $130 would make it really worth it. Now I wasted money that could have gone else where.

lynnfrwd
09-18-2012, 09:03 PM
It's a $120 and Michael Tyler's POM is never a waste of $$. You won't be disappointed. Just not immediate gratification.

We tried to come up with a product that would allow past projects, but haven't been able to do that yet.

Pressure from the masses may help.

lawrence
09-18-2012, 09:15 PM
I understand what your saying, but I'm not sure the analogy really applies. At least with the majority of Magazine's that I subscribe to, as a subscriber I also typically get access to all back issues in a electronic format online. I guess the big distinction between POM's and magazines is magazines typically lose their relevance over time, where MTs' POM's are pretty much timeless.

That's pretty awesome. Only one of the mags that I subscribe to do this to my knowledge.... If you know differently about any of these, please let me know because it would certainly save me on bookshelf space! :)

Fine woodworking - costs extra to access back issues (I know this because I pay for it)
Pop woodworking - nope - gotta buy the dvd or back issues
Wood magazine - nope - (see above)
American woodworker - partial access- current mag is accessible and a few back issues can be viewed (very cool and progressive online viewing system)
National Geographic - no
Pop Mechanics - only old issues on google books
Pop Science - Yes- very cool feature too (when it works)
http://www.popsci.com/archives

Ropdoc-perhaps it's not too late to cancel your subscription- I would call LHR tomorrow if I were you. If you haven't accessed any of the POM's I can't imagine that it would be a huge deal as it's apparent that you were not really clear about what you were paying for. I can't speak for LHR, but it can't hurt to ask. I have a feeling that if all the past projects were available with the subscription, folks would just download all the back projects and then never re-subscribe. If this happened Michael wouldn't be getting the proper compensation for his work.

Either way, the awesome projects you mentioned are available online and you can still purchase the ones that you are specifically looking for.

In the meantime though, let us know what kind of projects you are looking to make and I'm sure we can point you in the right direction to some great ones that will sell at the fairs. Folks here (including Michael) have been amazingly generous with their work and many of the patterns would make great sellers.

Lawrence

lynnfrwd
09-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Ropdoc

Have you activated it yet?

If by Bread Sled, you mean Bread Crib, that is this months project.

Chair frame project is not much cost.

Ropdoc
09-19-2012, 10:00 AM
I have a feeling that if all the past projects were available with the subscription, folks would just download all the back projects and then never re-subscribe.

This is why you create a members only section. Paid members go into a reserved area and download what ever they need. I truly get what you are saying. But to close off past awesome projects is a waste.

Either way, the awesome projects you mentioned are available online and you can still purchase the ones that you are specifically looking for.

In the meantime though, let us know what kind of projects you are looking to make and I'm sure we can point you in the right direction to some great ones that will sell at the fairs. Folks here (including Michael) have been amazingly generous with their work and many of the patterns would make great sellers.

This is what I was asking for. And this is the first I heard of being able to purchase past projects. My issue is the cost.

Ropdoc
09-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Have you activated it yet?

I called yesterday asking about how to access. I guess I missunderstood what to do.

If by Bread Sled, you mean Bread Crib, that is this months project.

I apologize for this incorrect term. I do mean the Bread Crib.

Chair frame project is not much cost.

I just wish to know how to get past projects. There was a couple boxes I wanted to make as well. I am unemployed. Trying to make some money to pay bills and getting very frustrated. For me $120 is alot of money. It took allot to purchase the new system and POM. I am trying very hard to not be a failure here.

Thank you for your patience and time.

jaustin
09-19-2012, 10:57 AM
On the past POM do you get a discount on the purchase price or do you have to pay the full price for the past POM like a non subscribers?

lynnfrwd
09-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Past projects are all available on the Pattern Depot. There is no discount on past projects for subscribers.

Project of the month subscription means you will get a newly created project each month for a year. They usually come out within the first 5 days of the month.

Costing $120 for the year, that breaks down to just $10 per project. Most projects are in the $20 to $50 range.