PDA

View Full Version : Northwest Users Group

easybuilt
09-18-2012, 03:09 PM
We are having a gathering of the Northwest Users at Stan's shop in Enumclaw, WA. Thursday at 1pm.
If you need the address and phone number send me a pm.
Hope to have see some new faces, we have a great time sharing a lot of techniques and challenges that we face.
TerryT did you say you were bringing donuts??LOL

TerryT
09-18-2012, 06:14 PM
TerryT did you say you were bringing donuts??LOL

My background makes me much more suited to EATING donuts, but if I could attend I sure would bring them! I can't seem to find anyone on this side of the state that is interested. And yes I do use a deoderant! LOL
And that little flatulance thing you may have heard of... well... I have that almost under control!! LOL

SharonB
09-19-2012, 12:41 AM
I'd even bring donuts if I could get away. But watch out... one of these days I'll make the drive up. I certainly could use some new ideas right about now.

saylesj
09-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Hi All,
i am from the Portland area and I seen the thread so I thought I'd post my question here first and see if you guys can help me before I ask the masses

my machine appears to leave a the last inch or to higher than the rest, any idea why this is? See attached photo.

Thanks
JS

stanv77
09-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Remember the 7 inch rule. I think that the board is not staying under the rollers allowing the board to tip down. The project should be at least 7 to 8 inches longer than the project. This will keep the project under the rollers. Also check and make sure the in feed and out feed tables are high enough to support the wood.

saylesj
09-19-2012, 07:42 PM
I thought this might be the reason but wasn't sure. Thanks! has anyone come up with a adjustable jig to help eliminate wood waste?

ladjr
09-19-2012, 08:00 PM
I thought this might be the reason but wasn't sure. Thanks! has anyone come up with a adjustable jig to help eliminate wood waste?

What I do is try and have two carve. Then I carve in the corner , reverse board and cavre in corner. It doesn't have to waste the 7 inches.

stanv77
09-19-2012, 08:44 PM
What I do is make sled pout of cheap lumber. Make project board the actual size. I use pocket screws to attach 4 inches on both ends of the project. These boards can be saved and reused over and over again.

badbert
09-19-2012, 08:50 PM
I use a sled. It is made from 3/4" birch plywood. With interchangeable (thickness) oak side rails. It is 14.5" wide and 48" long. It gives me a usable area of 12.5 inches wide and 46.5 inches long. I have center lines drawn on it, vertically and horizontally. I put masking tape on the surface of the sled, and masking tape on the bottom of the wood (project). I then run a bead of hot glue on the tape in the sled. And then I Center the wood in the sled and press it down. I then run masking tape from end to end, and across the middle. Load it with the middle under the truck, so it can measure accurately. And I have not had a tracking issue since. Any of the left over dust is left in the sled, so it keeps the machine clean too! You are not supposed to do cuts with it, but I do, with no issues. It leaves a perfect outline of the project in case I need to re-carve. When the surface gets too bad to use, I'll replace it. One last thing, I strongly recommend a high-output glue gun! I purchased mine from www.Harborfreight.com (http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-industrial-glue-gun-95939.html) for less than $20.

saylesj
09-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the input everyone! it's given me some good ideas.

easybuilt
09-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Well this threat has had some interesting comments. Sharon you are ALWAYS welcome to attend, we sure have a lot of fun and TerryT we can handle your ISSUES too. Your fellow CW users are missing a lot of good times. Looking forward to Thursday!