PDA

View Full Version : Ready to buy

Kmbzak
09-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Hi,
My wife and I are getting ready to buy the CarveWright unit. We enjoy working with wood projects and have been considering this unit for some time. We have gone through several dremal units but due to how long it takes to carve out items we were looking for an easier method. (due to our age and how steady our hand can be LOL). If anyone can help in giving some direction on what is needed to keep the price within reach. We like the idea of the signs and lettering, We have seen so many fantastic looking items that we are excited about owning one.
We also want to know how dependable this unit is and does this unit need to be put in the middle of the garage.

Thanks for your help
Ken

chebytrk
09-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Hey Ken, Glad you're coming around to making some sawdust with us. First thing is to let us know where you reside and then we can see if we have a STARTU member close to you and they'll give you information and advice on your purchase. Again... WELCOME ! :-D

Hi,
My wife and I are getting ready to buy the CarveWright unit. We enjoy working with wood projects and have been considering this unit for some time. We have gone through several dremal units but due to how long it takes to carve out items we were looking for an easier method. (due to our age and how steady our hand can be LOL). If anyone can help in giving some direction on what is needed to keep the price within reach. We like the idea of the signs and lettering, We have seen so many fantastic looking items that we are excited about owning one.
We also want to know how dependable this unit is and does this unit need to be put in the middle of the garage.

Thanks for your help
Ken

Kmbzak
09-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks, We live in Show Low, AZ

Old Salt
09-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Good advice.
You can go to the start you start u spot in the main menu and find a start U member close to you.
Gary

Kmbzak
09-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks I'll give it a try.
Ken

fwharris
09-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Ken,

If you want to start out slow (keep with in a set price range and have a good basic system for doing signs and such) go with the basic system with the centerline and conforming vectors software. These two will give you lots of features to create great signs. Also look at joining the Project of the Month subscription, it is projects that are all set up for carving and will give you great instructions for doing so. It is also a great way of learning how project designs are set up.

The new C version machines have been very dependable if you learn the proper cleaning and lubrication and maintenance steps. As for how and where you set your system up is up to you and your space needs. Several have it set up on a normal work bench while others use a portable cart/bench.

Steve Nelson is the start u member in Arizona area (lot of other carvers there as well) and he will do a great job.

Best of luck and keep us posted!!

mtylerfl
09-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks, We live in Show Low, AZ

Ha! I am going to be in Show Low on Sunday the 23rd. My mom lives there and I'm spending the day with her before I leave for Winslow early Monday morning. Small world, eh?

chebytrk
09-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Hey Ken,

Looks like you're in great luck! Michael Tyler is going to be right there in your neck of the woods. You should definitely try to set some time to see him if you guys can do it. Michael is one of our "Grand Poobah, Chuck Norris, Obiewon Kanobies of the Carvewright. Heck, I accidently bumped in to him and even got to shake his hand one time! LOL Maybe one day he'll even say "hi Jerry" to me! LOL :-D

JK.... if you do get a chance, Michael can provide much information on the CW (along with the STARTU member that's in AZ as well). Get ready to ride the CW Crave Wave..... JerryB

Hi,

Thanks for your help
Ken

cnsranch
09-18-2012, 02:28 PM
LOL Maybe one day he'll even say "hi Jerry" to me! LOL :-D JerryB

Watch him, if you try and get him to give you an autograph, he'll charge you :)

TerryT
09-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Welcome to the group Ken.

mtylerfl
09-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Watch him, if you try and get him to give you an autograph, he'll charge you :)

Wish I had thought of that!

Seriously - I would LOVE to have a chance to meet with Ken when I'm in Show Low on Sunday. Ken, if you wish, please send me a PM with your contact info. Also, wondering if you already know my Mom...her name is Doris Tyler. She owns a house on one of the hills overlooking Fool Hollow Lake.

Kmbzak
09-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Well I just got my Carvewright machine, it came in Friday but we were out of town when it came in. I set it up Saturday and ran a test carve of something I have been working on. I did not have the right bits so I made a few changes at the machine level and it didn't come out half bad considering the changes I made. I really like what I created but I cannot duplicate it from scratch. I was just having fun on a image that I scanned and it just happened.... I us a program called Gimp2 to clean it up and change things then import it. My next day off I am going to install the dust collector on it and try to make a cover for it. It is awful loud. I do have a question though... I thought that the version c came with the quick bit release mine didn't?

chief2007
09-30-2012, 04:32 PM
New machines, Version C, come with the carvetight chuck. It is an upgrade from the old quick change chuck.

Overall carving quality is better with the carvetight and less maintenance issues when compared to the quick change chuck.

I have had machines with both chucks, and now they all have the carvetight chuck.

Kmbzak
09-30-2012, 04:35 PM
So I do have the right chuck I think. It is attached with the allen screw. Thanks for the reply..

fwharris
09-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Well I just got my Carvewright machine, it came in Friday but we were out of town when it came in. I set it up Saturday and ran a test carve of something I have been working on. I did not have the right bits so I made a few changes at the machine level and it didn't come out half bad considering the changes I made. I really like what I created but I cannot duplicate it from scratch. I was just having fun on a image that I scanned and it just happened.... I us a program called Gimp2 to clean it up and change things then import it. My next day off I am going to install the dust collector on it and try to make a cover for it. It is awful loud. I do have a question though... I thought that the version c came with the quick bit release mine didn't?

Having fun already! A note about the bits, the machine comes with one 1/16" carving bit (1/16" ball nose as it is called in designer). Be very cautious about making changes at the machine on carvings that you have set up.

Welcome again and happy carving!