PDA

View Full Version : Since This Is A Question About Cribbage Boards, It Was Probably Terry T.

cnsranch
09-17-2012, 01:35 PM
(Sometimes using the "Search" function just doesn't work).....

Sometime back, one of you guys much smarter than me posted a way to place a pocket on the back of a C. board to store the pegs - complete with a "cover", door, etc.

I cannot find the danged thing.

Thought I'd give the cribbage board the old college try, and a place to store the pegs would be just the ticket.

Any takers?

TerryT
09-17-2012, 02:32 PM
I have a photo that may help. This is how I have been doing them. I use that table saw and a dremel tool.

cnsranch
09-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Hmm,

So, are you cutting the pocket out with the CW, then making a slot around the edge of it for the closure with a Dremel???

And the closure is hand-made?

Doh!

TerryT
09-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Hmm,

So, are you cutting the pocket out with the CW, then making a slot around the edge of it for the closure with a Dremel???

And the closure is hand-made?

Doh!

Yep, that's it. The door is about 3/16 thick, wide enough to fill the pocket with about 1/8 more on each side to fill the tiny slots. I just make one piece two or three feet long then them to length. All on the table saw.

I took dozens of photos of the complete process and I'm going to make a video-how to for cribbage board customers on my website. I haven't got it done yet.

DickB
09-17-2012, 06:49 PM
I do this with a router. I built a simple jig using a rectangle of 1/8" masonite and 3/4" sides to box in the router. Make the box the diameter of your router plus to get the pocket size that you want. Cut first with a 1/4" straight bit to make the pocket. Then, with the same jig, use a dovetail bit set just below the surface of the cribbage board to cut a notch. You could also do this with the CarveWright - have the dovetail bit follow a C-shaped vector that starts and stops off the cribbage board held in a jig. I make the sliding cover from K&S brass form the hardware store (or hobby shop) - pretty easy to cut, bend in a vise, and file smooth.

cnsranch
09-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Thanks, Dick - my shaky hands were worried about that step with the Dremel :)

DickB
09-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks, Dick - my shaky hands were worried about that step with the Dremel :)
Yes, my hands are not steady either, and jigs are good. I also have a jig to cut the keyhole slot, and someone posted how to do that on the CarveWright too.

hrlevill
10-02-2012, 05:17 PM
i have done many boards and i cut the pocket hole in the bottom of the board to hold the pegs with a 3/4 in stright bit about 2 to 3in long cut or what ever i then make a cut on each side of it with a slot cutter that i made up my self for slide cover i use a thin peice of hard wood sanded down to fit the slot i do all the cuts on a router table has worked out great for me over the years and for many many boards