PDA

View Full Version : Carving AZEK?

Bill Pratt
09-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Has anyone carved AZEK (stabilized PVC) yet? They wereat the first LHR meeting in 2011 and passed out samples. I have a commission foran overhead store sign and this would be the perfect material. I actually havethe material (5/4 x 12 x 48) to do a double sided overhanging sign for thestorefront.

Anyone with experience, please advise with priorwisdom.

fwharris
09-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Bill,

It carves great!! Make sure you have good dust collection and monitor your carving to insure the chips are not building up on the belts and rails. Also make sure you have masking tape on the edge for the brass roller.

Bill Pratt
09-17-2012, 11:12 AM
I've been using the Ring Neck dust system and could not be happier with the results!

Thanks for the advice on the brass roller - I had not contemplated that issue.

Digitalwoodshop
09-17-2012, 12:44 PM
I was very pleased with it for a few projects. Because of it's durability and stability I choose to cut out letters with the CW then the Customer mounted one set to Plywood and another is going to mount them to PVC Sheet Stock. They got a 4 x 8 sheet of it.

You must remember that if you mounted the letters to a regular board that expansion and contraction could result in a snapped letter... As the dissimilar expansion rate.

As for carving inside the sign as in V Text, use a new bit to start... With the Rohman Park letters, I cut one set the proper size from a 1 x 12 PVC Board. Gave the Township Guy a Router Bit with a bearing on top to cut the 2nd set from his sheet stock.

In Retrospect if I were to do the Kuhn Job over, I would cut out 1/4 inch Hardboard with the CW and use the Bearing Bit to cut the PVC after rough cutting it with a saber saw first.

Lots of Options..... And with the PVC you can do Carved Elements and Glue them on the main sign.

Remember to incorporate Mounting Hardware in the design as in a Rectangular Holes cut along the top where Steel Nuts and Washers are inserted then sealed on the faces and painted. Use QUALITY Threaded Hardware... Something we don't talk about much here.... But as the maker of the sign and possibly the person who mounts the hanging sign... LIABILITY.... I read many Sign Forums and get 2 Sign Magazines.... IF the Sign falls in a wind storm and hurts someone.... The Insurance Companies will come a knocking..... That is why I don't do Installations other than the 4 x 4 Posts and small Name Sign.... Lawyers can be expensive....

A Big HEAVY Carved Sign and a 2 inch long Lag Eye Bolt with wood threads screwed into the end of the sign is a "Lottery Ticket" to someone getting hurt when it falls......

Good Luck !!!!!

Make sure to ground the RingNeckBlues Metal Collector as cutting PVC will generate more static than wood.

AL

fwharris
09-17-2012, 01:34 PM
I've been using the Ring Neck dust system and could not be happier with the results!

Thanks for the advice on the brass roller - I had not contemplated that issue.

And I thank you sir!!!