PDA

View Full Version : measuring board

easybuilt
09-16-2012, 12:47 PM
So here is a new one I think, when I try to start this a project. I put a 37" X 11" board on my cw, the project is 30" X 10" I tell it to stay under the rollers it tell me the board is 29.78". When I tell it not to stay under the rollers it carves just fine. When I check the length and measure my 36" test board it measures 36.012. The head pressure is 76#. This has happened on two boards on this project.
What am I missing??

Digitalwoodshop
09-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Another WAG.... Wild AL Guess..... Could your In Feed or Out Feed Tray be too LOW letting the board TIP UP while only being held by one roller? I am NOT a fan of 7 inches.... I am a BIGGER fan of 8 inches.... Think about it.... at 7 inches the board is on the tip of the top of the roller... And in this case the pressure is being released from the board as it "Rocks" back and fourth at the very edge of the Physical Board finding that very tip... During this "DANCE"... The Brass Roller could be loosing contact with the board... Remember this whole post is "All About The Brass Roller".... The Physical "BOND" between the Brass Roller and the Board.... So the real question? WHY is the Brass Roller Wrong? Answer that question and you will have the answer....

Try this test... A 38 inch Physical Board same project..... NO "Balancing" on the end of the roller.....

Other things to check... Head Level? IS the Brass Roller side HIGH? IS the Sand Paper Belt Rolled Under at the Brass Roller? What is the condition of the "O" Ring? In theory the Brass Roller does not even need the "O" Ring. Check the bottom of the board, any defects?

IS the board Square cut on the end?

AL

macahuna
09-16-2012, 02:25 PM
I have a similar problem. I created a perfectly round circle that's 4" in diameter, and placed it on a board that the CW measured to be 12.379 by 5.541". I used those measurements to create the artwork and uploaded it. The CW now measured the board at 12.38; do I want to adjust the art to fit the board, or insert another board (staying under rollers). Same, board, so let's us adjust the art, center it on width. It began carving, and I ended up with an asymmetrical ellipse 3" tall, and 2.75 inches wide - fatter on one side than the other, that is to say a really flat egg shape lying on its side. I had the CW cut an outline with the 1/8" cutting bit, expecting to see 1/8" tabs holding the art in place. It cut the outline, but only left 1/32" tabs. What do I have to do to get the machine to accept the board and art size?

Digitalwoodshop
09-16-2012, 03:53 PM
WOW... Read the post I just spent an hour making on the X Gears.... It will help answer your questions...

I see this is also your FIRST POST.... WELCOME !!!!!

The 7 inch rule of wood and Scaling is the problem.... I need to go now but the answer is in the other post.... Also read Tips and Tricks for more about scaling and using PLACE ON END rather than Center on Board too....

As far as the Tab Thickness, it is a function of the bit touching the Right Side Guide and the Bit Plate Touch.... IF you select Cut Path and then Select the Number of passes to cut that cut path, I believe you get a selection for number of tabs and THICKNESS of the Tabs..

Good Luck, more later.. Others will chime in too.

AL