PDA

View Full Version : Carving AND Sand Blasting Signs... Interesting "JIG"

Digitalwoodshop
09-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Over on the Sawmill Creek Signs forum I came upon a new concept that lets you sandblast large signs in Glass and Stone.... Normally requiring a big sand blast enclosure... Check this out....

So on the CNC side.... You could place a mask like shelf paper on a board. Use Outline Mode and a 1/16 end mill bit or the 1/8th cutting bit to outline the text and art... Then Weed the paper then using the box sand blast the BACKGROUND leaving the letters un touched..... OR the reverse..... OR cut the mask with a knife or a Vinyl Cutter....

Just thought it might add something what we do with our CW Machines...

AL:mrgreen:

LittleRedWoodshop
09-15-2012, 06:03 PM
that is awesome and looks soooo easy to build

ladjr
09-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Thats very interesting. Thanks for sharing

RogerB
09-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Quarter sawn soft wood is very good for sandblasting California Red is very good

jmoriearty
02-14-2013, 07:15 AM
I have actually been wanting a sand blaster to play around with, though not for this purpose. I was a local art show and saw a guy that does turned vases and bowls, but he sand blasts them. It has a very interesting effect with his method. It blasts out the softer wood but leaves the hard grain behind. When the piece is done, it looks like it is made from wooden lace. It's breath taking.

rcdages
02-14-2013, 08:24 AM
For a good number of years I did a lot of sand blasting and sand carving.

I one day am going to get things set back up with my sand carving booth and
incorporate the sand carving with my CW carving.

Many many ideas and not enought time in a day once one get home from a full day
of work.

Perharps I'll some time post some of the photos of the sand carving I have done.

Digitalwoodshop
02-14-2013, 12:26 PM
The jig is a pretty good idea... I have some 20 foot storage containers and the paint is peeling on one and not knowing the base of the paint... I have enough exposure to lead in my Navy Days... It with a 2HP dust Collector and a 20 foot 4 inch hose would be great... Plus add a Cyclone...

AL

cestout
02-14-2013, 06:19 PM
I saw a thing on This Old House where they were sandblasting glass lamps but using ground walnut shells. I don't know where you would get them but it was supposed to be more ecologically friendly.
Clint

Digitalwoodshop
02-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Ground Walnuts is a very common sand blasting media.

Bigtyme
02-15-2013, 01:26 PM
There is a show on the History Channel called "American Restoration" asnd they use a number of different mediums for blasting (including walnut shells) depending on the project. They are also always looking for a new and better one and typically go into pretty good detail on the show. There may be more info on their web site or a place to ask a question....

mtylerfl
02-15-2013, 01:45 PM
I used to do deep blasting/carving in thick glass, many years ago. I used black silicon carbide (because it can be used over and over without dulling). I never used walnut shells (too mild for deep glass carving I would imagine) but might be good for "frosting" glass. Wish I had tried that.

I stopped my glass blasting 'career' after experiencing some eye problems. Turns out I was plugging up some glands around my eyes/eyelids (13 had to be removed). Even though I THOUGHT I had a good blasting booth setup, goggles, air filter, etc. the fine particles still managed to mess me up. I do not remember what the glands were called, but they had something to do with producing tears (they were not tear ducts).