PDA

View Full Version : Carving Bits

countrygirl
09-15-2012, 12:01 AM
We carve mostly into oak and we're wonder what is the life of a carving bit? We use both a 1/16 and 3/16 and have used them less then a year. We use a brass brush to clean the but they're balling up the wood? Please help!

lawrence
09-15-2012, 12:08 AM
I get quite a bit of life out of my bits, but since I recently bought a bunch I've been using new ones (see below for sale details) and have to admit that I was probably using my bits past their sharp life. My guess is I probably have gone through 2-3 actual no-kidding "use them till they are dull" bits in my machine's 175 hour cut time. (so my guess is probably 40ish hours each bit?) But I'd also say that it depends greatly on what kind of wood you use.

Just my estimate-
Lawrence

unitedcases
09-15-2012, 05:39 AM
I also carve mostly in oak, I use a 100 hr rule. After every carve I use oven cleaner to clean the bit. Part of the post carve operation if you will.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2.

chief2007
09-15-2012, 08:38 AM
You are correct the bits are definitely dulling.

I carve oak and a lot of it. I am usually between 75-100 hours per bit on the oak. When I get any sign of the bit dulling, I roll it over to use on soft woods until they dull completely.

cestout
09-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Carving a bunch of poplar, I had to clean my bits frequently with cheep spray oven cleaner.
Clint

Jeff_Birt
09-17-2012, 10:32 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that dull bits put a lot more strain on your machine. Just picture yourself trying to cut something with a dull knife. You can eventually make your way through it but it requires a lot more effort and the cut looks bad. The same idea applies to bits, if they are dull the machine has to work much harder and force them through the wood.

fwharris
09-17-2012, 11:12 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that dull bits put a lot more strain on your machine. Just picture yourself trying to cut something with a dull knife. You can eventually make your way through it but it requires a lot more effort and the cut looks bad. The same idea applies to bits, if they are dull the machine has to work much harder and force them through the wood.

Totally agree with Jeff on this one. I was carving acrylic lithos and kept getting a Y stall error. After several hours of trouble shooting I put in a new bit and finished out the carvings with out any issue...