PDA

View Full Version : HOT Z-truck

stanv77
09-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Hello guys

Tom Watson is having trouble with the Z-truck getting to hot on one of his machines. He has changed his cut motor(new) new flex cable. We replaced the bearings in the Z-truck. We still are having a heating problem. Tomorrow I am going to take the Z-truck off of my machine ( that runs cool) and run Tom's machine again. If this does not solve the problem I( or we) are lost. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be. We would appreciate some help.

fwharris
09-13-2012, 11:01 PM
Stan/Tom,

My guess since you have tried everything except the Z truck itself would be the upper and/or lower bearings in the truck. Swapping the truck out should tell you. If you can install it on your machine.

easybuilt
09-13-2012, 11:19 PM
It is really puzzling, we purchased two new upper and lower bearing today and Stan replaced them today in my Z. The heat starts in the Z and works it way up the cable.

chief2007
09-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Problem I had was opposite - Heat transfer from the flex cable. Once I cleared that up, my Z truck issues went away.

Check the heat on the flex cable - from cut motor to spindle - I had found that my flex cable ran hot from the mid point of the flex cable to the spindle.

Digitalwoodshop
09-14-2012, 01:09 PM
CUT MOTOR.... IF you still have the old Cut Motor but I bet you send it back... YOU need to check the DEPTH of the HOLE in the End of the Cut Motor to see if it is SHALLOW and making the Flex Shaft TOO long and hence pushing downward on the top bearing.....

I should measure one....

Another test would be to install the flex in the motor and measure the length of the flex sticking out of the rubber flex housing and know that number as standard.... This being a 1/4 inch longer would cause downward pressure on the bearing.:roll:

AL Who Guesses alot.... :-D

mtylerfl
09-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Hello guys

Tom Watson is having trouble with the Z-truck getting to hot on one of his machines. He has changed his cut motor(new) new flex cable. We replaced the bearings in the Z-truck. We still are having a heating problem. Tomorrow I am going to take the Z-truck off of my machine ( that runs cool) and run Tom's machine again. If this does not solve the problem I( or we) are lost. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be. We would appreciate some help.

Normally, I would say the cause is too much lube was applied to the flexshaft core and the excess found its way into the tophat and into the Z bearings, ruining them.

However, since you said you replaced the bearings, and it still runs hot, perhaps AL's guess is as good as any!:) You may want to call Tech Support and see if they have any suggestions.