PDA

View Full Version : Sign wood

unitedcases
09-05-2012, 01:15 PM
So here is a pic of a sign that I am going to attempt. My questions are what type of wood to use? I was thinking cypress but I was trying to keep in mind the amount of Sanding that would be left due to the relief pattern. The letters are raised and in all reality it should be a simple sign. Any thoughts?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2.

b.sumner47
09-05-2012, 01:41 PM
How about some cedar.

Capt Barry

mtylerfl
09-05-2012, 01:49 PM
So here is a pic of a sign that I am going to attempt. My questions are what type of wood to use? I was thinking cypress but I was trying to keep in mind the amount of Sanding that would be left due to the relief pattern. The letters are raised and in all reality it should be a simple sign. Any thoughts?

Select Pine, Maple, or any similar "whitewood" would look great. Try to avoid a board with "busy" grain so it doesn't take away from the beautiful lettering...however, grain pattern doesn't matter if you are going to paint over it anyway. I don't know if the sign will be directly exposed to the elements, or not. As long as the wood is sealed well with the appropriate finish (or placed undercover or indoors) you shouldn't have any problems for many years.

This is a perfect candidate for carving on OPTIMAL for a really professional-looking carve...of course the downside is it takes considerably longer to carve than the BEST setting. I know I would bite the bullet on that - I love the layout!

cestout
09-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Depends - indoor or out. Out door for cheep use cedar, to outlast the owner, use iroko - about $9 a bdft. It is like teak but not as abrasive on your bits. Inside I would use clear pine or poplar. In any case, do the cleanup with a 6" double mop.
Clint

badbert
09-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Hey not being a wise-apple just trying to save someone else one of my mistakes. Tabatha is "usually" (being the keyword) spelled with all "A's". That is a great looking carve.

unitedcases
09-05-2012, 03:34 PM
I double checked the spelling and the boss approved it. That's the same thing I brought up.

unitedcases
09-05-2012, 04:07 PM
So maybe pine if covered with a good few coats of spar urethane?

karossii
09-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Hey not being a wise-apple just trying to save someone else one of my mistakes. Tabatha is "usually" (being the keyword) spelled with all "A's". That is a great looking carve.Really? I have known three Tabitha's, and all of them were spelled with an i (as I just did) - never once met a 'Tabatha' (nor a 'Tabetha' either, though)...

rcdages
09-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Sign layout looks great.

Myself I would use Select Pine.

What are the names of the fonts you are using, if you will share those names.

Thank you.

unitedcases
09-06-2012, 08:38 AM
The most raised names, being their first names is called "blessed day". I don't remember what the bottom one is but that one is already loaded. I had to download the cursive one. I tried one already using one of the cursives that are already loaded but due to it being raster lettering it was just too thin. This should carve better.

Bigtyme
09-06-2012, 08:49 AM
It is a very nice sign and I like the font choices. Thank you for sharing....

unitedcases
09-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Once I make it I will throw it on the forum. I think I am going to bite the bullet and get some cypress. After all, a job worth doing is worth doing well.

Bigtyme
09-06-2012, 09:02 AM
I agree and look forward to seeing the finished project.....