PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a pocket

guido5286
09-03-2012, 06:12 PM
I'm trying to cut a pocket around a carving to put a piece of glass over it to give it a flat surface. One of our friends wants a dinner tray with a carving in it, so I need to cover the carving with a piece of glass. when I cut a pocket around the picture to sit the glass in it changes the depth of the carving to the depth of the pocket. maybe I need to change cut paths or something. Does anyone know how to do this?

Digitalwoodshop
09-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Easy, Just draw a rectangle or circle and make it a Vector Cut as in assign a bit to it.. I would use a End Mill type bit like the 3/8 bit that came in my bit kit... Assign the depth and depth per pass to not do it all in one pass... You will need to cut some very shallow rectangles in some scrap wood to adjust the size due to the width of the bit uses.

Good Luck,

AL

guido5286
09-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Still having problems making that work as well. I think I'll run as 2 separate projects one with the carve and one with just a recess pocket cut out for the glass. Thanks for the help but I still have alot to learn about the software.

mtylerfl
09-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Still having problems making that work as well. I think I'll run as 2 separate projects one with the carve and one with just a recess pocket cut out for the glass. Thanks for the help but I still have alot to learn about the software.

If you can post your MPC, we could actually help you with the layout setup. One caveat...the MPC cannot contain any non-protected commercial patterns if you post it here (you can substitute any commercial patterns with one of the samples that came with the Designer software, if you need to, before posting). I'm sure there is a very simple solution to your problem, but rather than "play a guessing game" let us see the MPC, please, and we'll get you fixed right up!

cestout
09-05-2012, 03:43 PM
You have to set the carving deep enough and don't raise the high too much. Use your cutting bit to carve concentric rectangles the depth of the glass around your carved area. Make the outside one size the of the glass and inset it .063.
This way is faster than raster carving the lip and the walls will be vertical. Test the depth of your carving by creating a rectangular carved area about 1 in wide and the depth of the glass - say 1/8". If you slide this area across your carving and any shows thru, the carving is too high. Delete the test carve area when testing is completed.
Clint

guido5286
09-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Sorry I was busy yesterday and I didn't get on here to see your reply's. Here is the MPC I'm trying to carve.

Thanks for the help!!

guido5286
09-06-2012, 07:16 PM
This is what happens when I Put a rectangle around it and try to put a depth of .062 to it. the other stuff disappears.

eelamb
09-06-2012, 07:41 PM
OK I grouped the three items you have. Added the rectangle, set the depth to .062, then merged subtractive to get this. Is this what you want to do?

guido5286
09-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Yes all but the one rectangle and I can delete that myself. I don't understand why I can't do that I grouped all three Things and Merged them Subtractive and got this.The monkey dissapears I'm Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

eelamb
09-07-2012, 01:54 PM
use merge subtractive on the outter rectangle. Not the grouped items. I may not have understood you. I thought you wanted a rectangle around the original 3 items, this is why I grouped those three. Then created the outter rectangle, set the depth, and did the merge subtractive on that rectangle.

Edit: added test2.mpc corrected.

guido5286
09-10-2012, 06:08 PM
That worked great! Thanks for all the help. I still haven't been able to carve it yet because of the stupid Zaxis stall error that I keep getting. I hope it won't take to long to get it back up I sure do have a lot of people wanting stuff carved.

guido5286
10-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Just a update for anyone else looking for a solution to their problem. The final fix was replacing the cut motor.